Thread: My First Sim

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

My First Sim

Hey folks, I'm still here!

Been spending a lot of time at the airport doing some real flying so I have not done much to my sim.
    Since the size is a severe limiting factor, I had to make some adjustments. The TQ is not even close to where it should be, I know, I know.

I was going to put this in the gallery but after looking in there I did not want to bring down the value of the neighborhood! Its my first sim and I'm building in stages so its flyable at all times. This is stage 1. I hope you like it.

Stage 2 is to get a small radio stack installed under the TQ. Any ideas anyone? I'm not rich so keep that in mind. The black book in the upper left corner is my real life logbook. Its getting more entries all the time! YAY!

You can see how I mounted the yoke here. I circled the knob end of the screw that came with it in the pic in red. Drill a hole thru the wood and then screw it thru in place. You can also see how I modified the yoke to remove the parts that were in my way.
    Also, notice the keyboard in the slide out tray under the panel. I'm building this sim so that I can use it to not only be my flight platform, but its also my regular computer station. I'm sitting in it now!

If you cant see the pix, try these links.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko...rrentsmall.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko...ifiedsmall.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko...mountsmall.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/images/hidden.jpg

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Looks great Andy and I agree with Joe, there's all sorts of different methods/levels to build a sim. You're experience is important to our "Sim-Builders" community. So please DO post your pics at the Gallery.

BTW, thank you for sharing your project

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi Andy! I have to agree with Matt and Joe. DO NOT cut yourself short! This project IS very important to our community! Not to mention that maybe some one is lurking and not sure how to proceed. This would be a great way to get started! I know there are no pictures of it ( I will change that) but my project was very similar when I started. A sim is just that a simulator. And as long as you can simulate flying, the most important part of this, it is a sim project. THey come in all sizes and shapes! Please post your pictures in the gallery!!!!

Well, it turns out that my next step was to upgrade my sim software. I'm now running FSX Deluxe. Now I have even more reason to build a G1000 pit.

Yes, and please keep posting your pictures. When you see my first picture it is less than what you have now. It's the first step that counts. You will probably encourage others to go there...
    Kester Meijer
    http://www.mycockpit.nl - to see my cockpit construction
    Certified De-Ice Supervisor EHAM

Talking Stage 2 begins!

Here you can see I've begun stage 2 by cutting the hole for the LCD screen from my old notebook computer. I've also installed a radio panel from GoFlight. You can also see my new TQ for a single on top of the box. The small screen on the right is my GPS display.

The panel I'm mounting everything into is a temporary one. Once I have it complete, I'll replace it with the final painted version. Likewise, the chair is also temporary. I have not yet gone to the junkyard to get me a nice one because this one works for now.

I need one more radio panel and the GF-46 Multi-Mode Display Module to finish my radio stack. Then I need to build the framework and switches for the GPS and mount the screen in it. Then it will be mostly complete. Of course, I'll be adding a gear lever and some assorted switches, a flaps switch, and trim...

Its very much a work in progress...