Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Build or Buy It?

Its been a long time since I've been on here. I went and looked through the galleries of simulators that are built or are in the process of being build and I can't help but feel the urge to build one myself. I'm working now. I'm makin money and I am happy. As to what aircraft I want to build, I've decided on a B737 because there are more places that offer 737 parts than they do 747.

Of course building a 737 sim isn't going to happen over night or be completed in 2 or 3 months. I'm finding that its a long process and alot of financial investment is involved. This will more than likely be a one seater simulator though because of a couple of things. 1) Not enough room for a dual seater and 2) I would be the only one simming. The one seater 737 that I want to build is this one here:

http://www.cockpitsonicusa.com/oxid....-Seat-Trainer/

I was kinda shocked at the price tag but I think I can build one a whole lot cheaper. But the mip is not the first thing on the list. I was considering buying this 737 throttle:

http://www.cockpitsonicusa.com/oxid....throttle-unit/

$2,915.00 is kinda steep. It would probably take me 3 years just to save up that much lol. I thought I could find a kit over at flightdecksolutions but it seems that they do not have one available and I'm having trouble finding one thats cheaper. Can a 737 throttle be built? If so, are there plans that I can download that are of scale? What materials should I build a throttle out of?

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

There's a good tutorial in the PC Pilot edition 50 that details of full 6 page tutorial on everything throttle wise.

It was only a few days ago an 'off the production line' throttle quad was up for sale for being a surplus part for the link you added.

Good luck with the build, we'll help with reasources as much as possible. All we ask in return is to post us a few piccies of the progress.

Kind Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

10+ Posting Member James Parker's Avatar

Hi,

I am building this throttle and it's coming up great,it's in french but thats not a great problem.

http://www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm

Quote Originally Posted by James Parker View Post
    Hi,

I am building this throttle and it's coming up great,it's in french but thats not a great problem.

http://www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm
    WOW that looks really good. Great job!!

I may build the throttle this way though. I don't know if anyone else has done it. But what I had thought about using was the CH Throttle Quadrant as a base for my "likeness" of the 737NG throttle. I ordered it last night so I should be getting it before the end of next week. Some of you may view that as an easier solution but I think there is some potential to it.

I found the Google Toolbar very useful for translating pages. I used it the first time for the page you mention but also for the Opencockpits forum, with a lot of Spanish, it's very handy. Ok, the output translation in your own language is a little clumsy but you can at least understand it. I bet it translates into English much better than into Dutch by the way.

150+ Forum Groupie

PC Pilot Throttle

Hi,

I built the throttle quadrant and wrote the article in PC Pilot, so yes it can be done.
    As it happens I used the same reference site as James Parker, it is full of brilliant ideas as photos. But be aware that some of the dimensions are sketchy, you should search the downloads area on this site and work out your own design and setup.

I used Leo Bodnars BU0836X joystick controller and four potentiometers in my construction.
    http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

There's a couple of pics attached to show you how it turned out.

Regards

Joe Lavery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lavery View Post
    Hi,

I built the throttle quadrant and wrote the article in PC Pilot, so yes it can be done.
    As it happens I used the same reference site as James Parker, it is full of brilliant ideas as photos. But be aware that some of the dimensions are sketchy, you should search the downloads area on this site and work out your own design and setup.

I used Leo Bodnars BU0836X joystick controller and four potentiometers in my construction.
    http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

There's a couple of pics attached to show you how it turned out.

Regards

Joe Lavery.
    Where can i find this article? I would like to read it.

150+ Forum Groupie

It was printed in issue 50 of PC PIlot, I should try the back issues department at www.pcpilot.net
    Although I understand from another forum member that they are sold out. You could try emailing the editor for a copy, derek@pcpilot.net

Regards

Joe

I'm gonna have to look into that. Looks like a really good magazine. Now I'm just waitin for thw CH Throttle quad to get here. Of course I have today and tomorrow off and the package isn't going to be here until Thursday lol.

OMG! OMG! OMG!! My CH Throttle came in today and OMG! This thing is awesome to use. I used FSUPIC to program the controls. Took me a little bit to finally get it right but I'm throttlin and flappin and flyin high in the 737. I've been practicing doing manual landings and up until tonite I was using a gamepad to control the throttles. Tried out the actual throttle quad and it was 10 times better!! Now I need me a yoke and pedals, MCP, CDU, Overhead panel..... OMG! I think I'm gonna go back to simming again. Good thing I don't have to be to work until 1 pm later on today HA HA HA HA HA!!

Question: How would I go about using one of the levers to control the landing gear?