Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I have a question regarding FS9 and two computers. If I want to use one pc to display the instruments on a LCD and the other pc for the outside views throught a projector can I do this just using Peter Dowson's WideFS

regards

Rhys

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

No. You need WidevieW to do this. Not WideFS.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by brynjames View Post
    I have seen maxivista being used in order to display the FMC through another computer and monitor. This worked fine, but I was told there is a big FPS hit if more complex functions are put on the second computer/monitor, for instance a different view window.
    Thanks Bryn, that was my experience too, but I tested with 2 slow computers. Was hoping something better with a more powerful "Server" PC.

I think the best option if you have one fast computer and one slower one as in totalflyer original request, is to use FSX/FS2004 on the fast computer and third-party gauges on the other slower PC. Then use Pete's WideServer / WideClient.

Wideview on the other side then can be used if all the computers are fast enough to run MSFS. One should keep in mind that you can run an older version of MSFS on the slower PC. As long as that version of MSFS has the gauges that one want. If the second PC's needs to run an outside view then it is a different ballgame. I would not like it if my center screens have the quality of FS9/X and the sideviews still showing FS2000 scenery.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by nosecone View Post
    I have a question regarding FS9 and two computers. If I want to use one pc to display the instruments on a LCD and the other pc for the outside views throught a projector can I do this just using Peter Dowson's WideFS.
    Rhys if you do use the WideView option to do this, it is recommend that the PC running the outside view to be the best computer CPU, RAM and graphics card wise. Use the slower PC for the gauges. This option is if you want to use the MSFS panel drawn gauges on the 'gauges' PC.

If the gauges are only third-party Windows based gauges, in other words if they are run outside of MSFS, then you can use WideServer / WideClient. WideClient is a program that actually gets the MSFS data from WideServer over the network. I'm planning to us this option for my PC9M sim.

In short MSFS's (FSPUIC's) data are distributed over a LAN by WideServer. The Wideclient(s) connect to WideServer over the network and 'fools' a program connected to WideClient to think it is talking to FSPUIC. It does not know where MSFS is.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks fweinrebe and Michael

Networked computers along with Peter Dowson's WideFS or FSX SimConnect will give you all sorts of possibilities. You can have your faster computer run FSX and the outside view and your networked computers be used to display panels/gauges.
    After reading this reply I assumed that all you needed was WideFS
    I plan to use 2 pc's both with the same specs p4 2.8, 2gig of ram and gforce 512meg EN9400GT silent pci e.
    The gauges a pretty much default MSFS for my simpit and I only plan to run FS9

Quote Originally Posted by nosecone View Post
    I have a question regarding FS9 and two computers. If I want to use one pc to display the instruments on a LCD and the other pc for the outside views throught a projector can I do this just using Peter Dowson's WideFS

regards

Rhys
    You are saying views. Do you mean that you are planning to use several projectors?
    If not, then you should have no problem getting both panels and view from one PC. Since it's FS9, you don't need much PC-power to run a dual/tripplehead from matrox or just use both your outputs from graphichscard.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi nax228
    I plan to use only one projector (due to budget) for the outside visuals and just one LCD monitor for the instrument panel

Cheers
    Rhys

In that case one PC should do the job just fine. There is a minimum of computerpower for this of course, but a dual CPU about 2,5GHz and a 8800 GPU or better will do the job just fine.
    Good luck with your setup. I post a pic of my testsetup with WideView, but the view is here rearranged for perfomance testing. During tests i had normal 2dview without panel on projector and 2x19" for panels and a networked laptop for FSCommander. It was crap. PC1 had C2D@3,6GHz/GTX8800 PC2 had P4@3,0GHz/GT7900 and a system FPS of 5!! with LVLD.

25+ Posting Member

Re: Would two computers work?

how wideview can install working 2 pc ? i no understand how this confic and made work 2 computer. step by step help to software, same i no understand anything how install wideFS and were need use this ?
    fsuip i have wife fs but were need and how use ?
    newermind, important have only now how made 2 computer show fsx all, main pc show windows and second pc show all gauges and other what need.

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Would two computers work?

Quote Originally Posted by Matti V View Post
    how wideview can install working 2 pc ? i no understand how this confic and made work 2 computer. step by step help to software, same i no understand anything how install wideFS and were need use this ?
    fsuip i have wife fs but were need and how use ?
    newermind, important have only now how made 2 computer show fsx all, main pc show windows and second pc show all gauges and other what need.
    Hi Matti
    Wideview is normally used to display the outside views only

install FSX and Wideview on both computers.
    Use your fastest computer for the outside views
    When you open FSX WIdeview will be available in the ADDONS part of the top menu
    OPen Wideview configuration on your main computer which you use for your gauges and set it as the SERVER
    OPen Wideview configuration on your outside view computer and set it as CLIENT.
    Both computers should be connected to a network hub if you want to get live weather or fly online.
    If no online use then connect together with a network crossover cable and set the fixed IP address for each PC for example 192,168,1,0 and 192,168.1.1
    so that the pcs can communicate.
    Read the WIdeview manual for more details
    If you don't want any window frames or bitmaps on your outside view PC then install the "dummy" aircraft form Wideview.
    regards
    geoff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast