Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Would two computers work?

I have read thru some of the posts concerning Multiple computers for the one game FSX.

I am retiring a compleat computer AMD 1800XP with a geforce 5500 OC graphics card. I know this computer Is quite underpowered to play FSX and thats part of why it is getting retired. BUT Using windows Xp. Would i get a benifit(is it even possible) to use the two computers to my advantage?

New one is a Xp machine running an AMD 5000 X2 with a GTX 9800 and triple head to go running relativly small screens (15") Want the candy( additional traffic, buildings etc) more than high resolution.

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Networked computers along with Peter Dowson's WideFS or FSX SimConnect will give you all sorts of possibilities. You can have your faster computer run FSX and the outside view and your networked computers be used to display panels/gauges.
    I have four computers networked together one runs FSX and the other three run the panels and flight management computer using Project Magenta software. One of the computers running the flight management computer software is an old Pentium II-333 - so even old slow computers can benefit your cockpit.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

Does anyone know of any other software for panels other than PM that would work on Multiple computers... especially for Airbus...
    Jeff Carswell
    A330-343x

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
    4GB OCZ DDR2 PC1066 Gigabyte G31M-ES2L MB
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTO 512mb

Heli Builder

You can try out vasFMC. The website is here: http://vas-project.org/. Use version 2.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

Anyone know of a way to put the panels from software such as PSS on a seperate computer.
    Jeff Carswell
    A330-343x

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
    4GB OCZ DDR2 PC1066 Gigabyte G31M-ES2L MB
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTO 512mb

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by totalflyer View Post
    Anyone know of a way to put the panels from software such as PSS on a seperate computer.
    You will need another licensed copy of MSFS on the other PC with the PSS aircraft installed. Then link the two with WideView. Then undock the gauges from the FS on the other PC. This will probably mean the other PC will have to run MSFS in Windows mode (Not Full Screen). Some vendor's gauges can be shown enlarged like PSS. You have to click on the gauge in a sensitive are to enlarge it. Not sure how to move it then. Possibly setup in the panel.cfg file.

Or you could use a Panel Editor program to build your own panel with the gauges set at the place you want them. (or do it the hard way in a text editor).

Quote Originally Posted by totalflyer View Post
    Does anyone know of any other software for panels other than PM that would work on Multiple computers... especially for Airbus...
    FSXpand offers a great variety of panels both GA and jet. Take a look at their website -> http://cockpitsolutions.com/flyware/

For Boeing737 you have the newcomers FlightDeckSoftware. FDS is a complete system with logics. They are also developing this to run with x-plane, but still a way to this bit is finished.
    FDS works with different hardware. Check out their website at -> http://flightdecksoftware.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    You will need another licensed copy of MSFS on the other PC with the PSS aircraft installed. Then link the two with WideView. Then undock the gauges from the FS on the other PC. This will probably mean the other PC will have to run MSFS in Windows mode (Not Full Screen). Some vendor's gauges can be shown enlarged like PSS. You have to click on the gauge in a sensitive are to enlarge it. Not sure how to move it then. Possibly setup in the panel.cfg file.

Or you could use a Panel Editor program to build your own panel with the gauges set at the place you want them. (or do it the hard way in a text editor).
    Be aware!
    I tried this setup, but one of the computers had crappy spechs and it seems like yor complete system only runs as fast as your weakest component will do.
    ..."A chain is never stronger than the weakest link" applies to this software.
    Also came up with an issue with the panels had to be run on the FS pc, so this is really a software for generating views. Kinda say so in the name too.

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by nax228 View Post
    Be aware!
    I tried this setup, but one of the computers had crappy spechs and it seems like yor complete system only runs as fast as your weakest component will do.
    ..."A chain is never stronger than the weakest link" applies to this software.
    Also came up with an issue with the panels had to be run on the FS pc, so this is really a software for generating views. Kinda say so in the name too.
    Thanks for the feedback on that. Very true.

This just reminded me of software that uses a second PC to extend your desktop. Called MaxiVista. Quote from their website: "Use any spare PC as a dual monitor screen for your primary PC. No extra hardware required.". Their website here: http://www.maxivista.com. That might work. Hope someone can comment if this worked.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on that. Very true.

This just reminded me of software that uses a second PC to extend your desktop. Called MaxiVista. Quote from their website: "Use any spare PC as a dual monitor screen for your primary PC. No extra hardware required.". Their website here: http://www.maxivista.com. That might work. Hope someone can comment if this worked.
    I have seen maxivista being used in order to display the FMC through another computer and monitor. This worked fine, but I was told there is a big FPS hit if more complex functions are put on the second computer/monitor, for instance a different view window.

--
    Bryn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast