Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Motorized Joyrider

Hello, I just want to show you my motion cockpit based on joyrider but with a big difference. Its moved directly by car wiper motors.

In the video I also used the TrackIr4 pro flying an F16 in virtual cockpit.

Full motion Flight Sim + TrackIR4 Pro on a F16

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBD9Juqx7PI"]YouTube - Full motion Flight Sim + TrackIR4 Pro on a F16[/ame]

Full motion Flight Sim + TrackIR4 Pro on a Cessna182

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL124Kew4c4"]YouTube - Full motion Flight Sim + TrackIR4 Pro on a Cessna182[/ame]

motion flight simulator 2 axis operational

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDOSoz1QL9A"]YouTube - motion flight simulator 2 axis operational[/ame]

Added some more (15-6-2007):

Full motion sim on Cessna v2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e44LdBINYWw"]YouTube - Full motion sim on Cessna v2[/ame]

Full motion sim on F16 v2:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SX_oBSGoKk"]YouTube - Full motion sim on F16 v2[/ame]

Have fun!

Thanos
    My 6DOF motion controller project:
    http://motionsim.blogspot.com/

Great stuff Thanos.
    Things are working.
    What did you use for the interface ??

Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Thumbs up interfacing

Hello Jim,

I used Basic Stamp2 running a special proportional servo code that sets the rotation speed and direction of the HB-25 motor controllers that drive the motors. Of course the BS2 also reads the feedback potentiometers placed on the rotation points to know the angle of each axis.

Its awesome that the Basic Stamp2 does all the required measurements, calculations and driving the motors while the serial transmition rate is only 2400bps!! Right now it retrieves 6 bytes of data on each cycle while the refresh rate of Keith's Portdrvr is 54ms!

The BS2 command that reads the data:
    SERIN 16,396,500,timedOut,[WAIT("KD"),HEX2 Lights,HEX2 Pitch,HEX2 Bank,HEX2 turncoord]

Any more questions are welcome!

How is your motion cockpit going?

Thanos

Sounds fantastic Thanos, and boy, are you going to regret allowing more questions !!!

Motion is one **** of a thrill when you finally get it going ,,, I would never go back, thats for real.

Your post is real good timing for me as at the moment I have the motion base all built, electrics, drives, some electronics all in place and am poised to finally decide which way i am going to drive the thing.. Been looking hard at velleman or picaxe but keith's portdrv kept nagging in my brain.

I have allowed the next 4 months to have something operational, so time is running out fast.

A few questions to start with ...
    Are you using the commonly available portdrv or is it a newer one ?
    Will it work with FSX ??
    If I went down the same road, would I be able to get the basic stamp code ??

I got to admit, never researched the basic stamp at all and in the last few minutes, had a quick search and it certainly looks interesting.

Trying to hold back my uncontrollable curiousity here !!!

Thanks for the info, Thanos, its great timing.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Right now I'm using en experimental version of Portdrvr that has some motion washout routines implement but need perfection. This new version outputs a ton of info. More than you can ever needed:

KD{booleans}[pitch][bank][airspeed][rpm][turncoord][vertspeed][gforce][altabovegnd]{CR}

Its under development and not ready yet for public release...
    See more info on http://www.etherealsounds.com

It doesn't work yet with FSX as microsoft changed the gauges to XML style and needs conversion. I hope Keith will make a FSX compatible version soon.

As for the basic stamp2 servo code, I can sent you a copy to use on your cockpit. Its pretty simple, on connections too, just two potentiemeter inputs and two servo outputs. No end limit switches needed! The only limitation is that it is designed to drive HB-25 motor controllers, I can't say for sure how it can react on other servo systems...

Regards, Thanos

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

That's great work. I think Hans would be interested in this.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!