25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Moving gauges to external display

I have been reading a lot about the different software abvailbe for display gauges on external displays. I am planning on building a A320 cockpit, and wanted to know, what would be the problem if I buy some airbus software like wilco or just flight and then undock the windows and move these to my external display?
    I understand that this solution would probably not work if I had networked computers, but I have never seen this solution suggested anywhere, and just wanted to know if there is any chance it could work.
    What got me to thinking about this is the horrific prices that PM are asking for, and since this is just a hobby for me, I don´t have that much money to spend just to get those gauges.
    Thanks for any responses.

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

You can undock views and place them on different monitors (on the same computer), but your performance will suffer because flight sim will have to render the additonal views. For good performance use a network. You could use software like Wilco using wideview. There are options to Project Magenta (freeware,flightdecksoft, FSXpand,etc.).
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for the reply, considering the computer I have running FS isn´t that great, then I guess I will try looking into some of the alternatives. I have an older computer kicking around somewhere here, so I may be able to get that hooked up into the setup.
    Thanks again. For anyone else interested (just starting out like me) I will try and post some options that I found once I get more research done.

25+ Posting Member

Networking is the best way for multiple monitors but if you are on a low budget this is what I did using 2 windows.

Frame rates are about 23-24 fps with Ultimate Terrain ,Phidgets led64,bodnar Bu836 and Flight-1 C441.
    The computer is single core Gateway P4-3.4 ghz ,Win xp pro, Video card is ATI X800gt (I hear everyone laughing!!) but it all plays well.

This is still a work in progress. Frames were done in Autocad then cut from scrap lumber and covered with Whiteboard (nicely duplicates a white AC shell). Seats are from an abandoned dining set (painted grey). Windscreen fits nicely but not installed. Throttle quad is homemade (6" PVC coupling,Wood grips painted to look like plastic,Clear p-touch labels over colored vinyl strips)

This all fits in one corner of the family room (first officer approved this)

Regards KenK
    Attached Images Attached Images

25+ Posting Member

Video card Correction

My video card is actually an ATI X300SE. I will clean my glasses !!