Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Massive change of plans!

Since I'm 17 soon turning 18 (september this year) my mom and dad didn't want me to build the cockpit (at least not at home) since it might just end up in one half-way finished cockpit somewhere in the basement. Anyway, my mom came up with a possible solution. How about building a cockpit but not for self-intended use, but for instructional use at the local flyingclub. Do you guys think that they would be interested in having a cockpit made like their "schoolplane" so they can practise things on the ground. It is a Katana Diamond 20-100. It could be used for learning theory on-ground inside the cockpit without being able to crash the plane... :P

Best Regards
    Didrik

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

My suggestion would be to make whatever simpit you build portable. So you can put it together and take it apart and the major pieces will fit through any regular door. If you do that your options are much better. Keep in mind that you'll not always be living at your parent's house in the future, so build a simpit with size and portability in mind. Simpits are all about learning as you go and refining the build over a time span. If you are looking for something realistic, fully expect to spread the build out over several years. Ask yourself where you'll be in 5 years time and plan the build accordingly. Sure, that's a lot to think about, but there are going to be hundreds of hours in a good build, so it's important planning.

25+ Posting Member

Well I guess that's so correct but it wasn't what I wanted to hear :P Well maybe I should spend my summertime-job wages on a Ultralight cert instead, seems a little more realistic, also it doesn't take up more space than either a ordinary IKEA photo-frame or a credit-card. (Don't know how the certs are looking :P )

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

If your idea of a sim is a General aviation airplane like a Cessna, and you have around $2000 you can build a very decent trainer in no time, at home or in a club.
    If you want a complete enclosed 7x7 cockpit with the bells and whistles, be ready for the long haul!
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

300+ Forum Addict

Tuomas Kuosmanen and friends built a flight simulator based on a salvaged Cessna 152 for the Malmi Aviation club http://www.mik.fi/ . (Info: http://www.mik.fi/simulaattori/ , more pictures: http://gallery.tigert.com/gallery/simu )

My understanding is that the project helps attract new members and provides a means to get "unofficial" flight practice. As the simulator is still mentioned on the club website, I think it must continue to be of value to them.

Possibly you could interest a local flying club of a similar project.

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Keep in mind, what I posted earlier was not meant to discourage you any, but merely put a few thoughts out there to ponder. Nothing says you can't do a great GA simpit within a short time frame with decent detail. Just because many on here are doing commercial big aircraft, you shouldn't limit yourself to just that. Take my project for eample, it's the polar opposite of a 737 build, but I have lots of technical questions that overlap with any build type. Think about what you would find fun to fly and is easy to setup as needed. Sure you can get your ultralight cert, but you just can't hop into the ultralight on 15 minutes notice and be flying like you can with a simpit. Besides, one isn't stopping you from doing the other also. Might as well try for both.

25+ Posting Member

I really love this forum! Everyone is kind and encouraging! REALLY NICE! Anyway, I'm thinking of this and that and I really do think that it would be nice, if not for anything but the challenge that it is to build it, to actually go through with building it. And since it's a pretty small community I'm living in I might search for sponsorships through the city so that I wouldn't have to pay all hardware by myself . Anyway, I'd like to really go through with this and, no, my intentions are not to build a low-detailed sim, I'd like to build a very high detailed sim with as much as possible working in it since it would be on the club for learning and not for fun. (Well, a little fun of course )

@BHawthorne: I didn't find it discouraging, not at all, since my parents said exactly what you said. Thanks anyway, one excuse more is better than one less, right?

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hi Didrik,

i am building the cessna 182 skylane, when i first started, many on here will tell you that i didnt have a clue where to start, but i wanted to learn the electronics side of things first, i asked hundreds of questions and got the best answers, my first step was to prove to myself that i can make the 'basics' before i built the cessna, i wanted to make a panel that housed all the buttons, including lights switches, master switches, magnetos (ignition), a throttle quadrant, flaps switch, yoke, trim and parking break. Indeed with a little help from everyone on here i amazed myself and got everything working, everything was wired up to the LEO BODNAR BU0836 with a simple matrix, through FSUIPC registered, that connects to FS9 with add-ons, everything housed in a simple box made from MDF, and then covered the box in vinyl. This is now my simple trainer. My website shows pictures of the trainer along with rudder pedals and screen (www.alexpilot.50g.com).

Now i have proved to myself that i am confident with basic electronics i am now going to build the cessna, i am limited to cash funds so it will be a slow build, but i have all the time in the world to get things right first time, i will do a little bit each week as and when i have a little bit more money to buy materials, then i will build a little bit more, and so on. If i get stuck on something i ask questions on here, usually i get perfect answers and i can carry on building again.

I find that paper and pencil is your best friend, draw what you want to build, design features, jot all your ideas down, work out what materials are best to use, what can you afford?, what can you do yourself? what do you need need to buy already made?

Start by looking at pictures of cockpits and getting ideas, if you choose one particular aircraft then look at as many cockpits of the same aircraft as you can as each one will show different details, features etc, and each one will be a little different. Its all about getting ideas and realistically working out if you can build it, looks at the photo gallery on here and see how people have designed their cockpits, etc etc etc!

Just dont rush, and one step at the time, and you will have cockpit in no time, just keep firing away the questions and you will soon learn!
    GA or the Highway!

25+ Posting Member

That was a very thorough answer, I appreciate your way of giving me "hope" again I will definitely try making some kind of external device, maybe the radiostack. Is there any way of getting analog gauges to work as external devices, like an altimeter for example?

Best Regards
    Didrik Birkemalm

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Didrik View Post
    ... Is there any way of getting analog gauges to work as external devices, like an altimeter for example?
    It is possible to convert some types of real aircraft instrumentation to simulator use. It can be costly both in effort and money. Here's some background information: http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/instrument_panel_4.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast