Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FSXpand questions from an newb

HI all,

I've been reading and reading and reading. I am just starting to get my head around things. I started a few months ago thinking I wanted a TH2Go 3 x22 setup only on a top end PC. Now the more I read , the more I realise that for my requirements, I need to ask many questions here!

I am really glad to have found this place and it's helping alot but also causing me to reconsider the whole project daily. just in the setup phase now and am trying to PLAN the best system for my needs.

I am a training CPLIR person, I have 120 hours total time PPL. I have decided to take my lessons on a Cirrus A/C . She is an expensive lady to rent

So, I have "discovered " FSXpand, by reading here lots. I am sure that what I intend to do is possible, but having saved up loads of hard earned cash for my sim pit I REALLY dont want to make any expensive mistakes.. I have hatched a plan, and need just a few probably pretty stupid questions answering please!!

My plan is now

1. A HIGH end PC for the TH2Go running 3 x 22 inch LCD's outside view only.
    (core i7, GTX285 SLI , 6GB ram Vista 64)

2. A series of old ex Gov PC's from Ebay to run my displays. I have found several and am willing to lash out the 200 ish bucks each if my plan will work? I am thinking of a PIC seat and a student / FO seat for my sim pit.

So, please can someone here tell me if this will work?

- 4 x 17 inch (non Widescreen) each having it's own crappy old pc running FSXpand. 2 for the PIC and 2 for the FO position...?

As I am not building a dedicated pit like some people of a 737 etc, I am aiming at a generic simulator for FSX that I can ENJOY, LEARN, PRACTICE IFR and other procedures to the best of my ability prior to spending 400 an hour on the cirrus...

To this end I require a setup that can be easily switched between traditional gauges (say a 172 or caravan) modelled on FSXpand to DUAL G1000 displays using the software G1000 from mindstar.

I would like to have a dual control setup too of 2 lots of CH yoke and pedals. I would hope these can be linked or at least an in-game switch of control be possible from one pilot to the other??

Can I go ahead and buy the 4 17 inch LCD's knowing that I can have 2 on each side of my pit serving as my instrument panels???

Am I right in saying that the FSXpand is pretty limit less in terms of the number of networked PC's and number of displays used on the simpit??

Is it going to be possible to have linked g1000 displays as well as linked flight controls??
    i hope I dont come across as too thick, I am trying to only ask questions when I have researched as much as I can , but I am not A PC expert so am a bit overwhelmed by all the info

This is a great site.
    But it has made me realise that my budget was about 1/4 of what it's going to cost in the end for what I want... I bet that is the same for everyone new Ha Ha Ha..

Thanks and expect more dumb questions!

WSdude

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

WSDude,

Welcome to the crazyness! No such thing as "dumb" questions.

I have been using FSXpand for a long time. It is very flexible and getting more so with each release. I don't know if it allows "unlimited" versions to run.... but what you really seem to be askig is will it allow you to put gauges on about 4 or 5 machines. THAT is can do, for sure. For the best info, go to their support forum. Gert (the developer) is very helpful there. They have a demo version...so you can try it yourself.

As to "not making mstakes"...... there likely is not a person here that has NOT made a passel of mistakes in the process of building a pit. It comes with the territory. You just understand that there will be some "dead end roads" you turn into, and you simply turn around at try a different direction. Planning and asking questions will minimize those issues though.

As to the "budget" .... yup...... take whatwever figure you were SURE was way large anough... and then square it.

For a lot of pits the captian's and first officers displays are simply the same displays from the same machine(s) simply utilizing a Y cable to "clone" themselves (ie. -two PFDs and two NDs). This does restrict the displays in that the captain and the FO cannot have a different display at the same time on a given MFD.

Hope these thoughts are of some help.

best,

..................john
    http://www.elliesystems.com/wForums/uploads/48/EllieBetaTestTeamBanner.jpg

Just one note Id like to add...the computers you are using for FSXpand should have a decent video card, integrated graphics or a generic GPU will not run FSXpand...I found out the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by JSpahn View Post
    Just one note Id like to add...the computers you are using for FSXpand should have a decent video card, integrated graphics or a generic GPU will not run FSXpand...I found out the hard way
    John,

If you try to run the FSXpand PFD or ND that is certainly true. But I have found that for the general instrument gauges that (so far) old laptops with integrated graphics cards work just fine.

best,

...................john

5. Thanks JSpahn thanked for this post

Thanks for the info I wasnt aware that was the case

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

v5.7 is out

hi guys......
    v5.7 (beta) of FSXpand is out. contains a lot of 'refinements' and god luv him Gert's gone and put the Brake Pressure gauge and the control trim position tapes in it.
    also a gauge editor for 'teeking gauges' to suit you.
    i'm downloading it as i write, so going to have a play later.
    www.flyware.nl
    enjoy your weekend chaps.... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

Hi

John and JSPahn, Thanks for the input, here I was pondering how on earth to link my PIC and FO displays using software or something equally crazy and you pointed out the OBVIOUS, that had completely gone over my head...! the bloody "Y" cable. Thank God I found this site, you probably just saved me 1000 bucks in one sentence.....

So, I also do intend to run G1000 or PFD ND from FSXpand on my displays, and so thanks for the input on the graphics cards...

but could some one chime in with what they reckon would do it..? maybe like an old Nvidia series 5xxx or 6xxx or similar please, as these can be quite cheap now and ill be able to get a PC capable of running all my intended displays!

I really appreciate you guys helping me out I will start a thread of my build as soon as my stuff arrives in a few weeks time. be prepared for more silly questions then though!

Cheers

Darren

Oh and I forgot to ask, how about my intended flight control setup?????

ie : dual controls of CH yoke and CH pedals??

now I know i'm stupid with PC's but it has not escaped me that simultaneous signals from 2 yokes would not be possible, but what I am thinking is that maybe I could have a switch or something similar on my usb hub and when passing over control just flick the switch? Is this possible??

Thanks

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

dual controls.....

hello captain .....
    just use FSUIPC to assign and calibrate your controls (rudders and yokes). i have two yokes and two sets of rudders hooked up thru FSUIPC and no need for switches or any of that malarkey. each axis is seperately assigned in FSUIPC with no interference at all between axes.
    FSUIPC will see the inputs from the yoke and rudder you are using and control from those.
    Peter Dowson mentioned in a different thread that FSUIPC 'arbitrates' between two axes assigned to a control (e.g. two axes asigned to elevator, one on each yoke).
    FSUIPC for me is one of the best adittions i have no issues at all with my control inputs.
    good luck and hope you get it sorted.
    regards .... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

11. Thanks wingsuitdude thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by wingsuitdude View Post
    ......and you pointed out the OBVIOUS, that had completely gone over my head...! the bloody "Y" cable. Thank God I found this site, you probably just saved me 1000 bucks in one sentence.....
    Darren,

I'll send you the invoice on that "Y" cable suggestion shortly. It's only $500.

Not to "plug" this too much cause I am on the Beta team...... but you might also want to look at the Ellie Avionics possibility for some flight controls.....although at the moment it is more "commercial air transport" oriented.

I have had the FSXpand stuff running fine on an old ATI 9600 and ATI 9800.

best,

....................john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast