Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

multi (5/6) monitor setup, please advice

Hello,

I'm a newbie in this forum so I introduce myself:

I'm an enthousiastic FS9 flightsimmer for 4 years, flying mostly PMDG747 LevelD767 and Fokker F70/100. Since two years I also fly in a network.
    Last year, I visited the FSweekend in Lelystad and had the oppertunity to get a "ride" on a 3DOF platform. It was fantastic !

Now I'm going to build a cockpit on a 3DOF platform and I need a good advice for the monitor setup. I've read some threads in this forum about multi monitor, every thread has its pro and cons and for me (as newbie) its difficult to decide whats the best system to use. I prefer to have a no-nonsense system with normal FPS and a good video resolution. I used to operate the plane with the mouse and a yoke + throttle so easy control with the mouse of the buttons and swiches is important.

I would like to built a setup with 5 or 6 monitors, all monitors are LCDs, have 1280x1024 resolution and a DVI input.

setup:
    3 x 17 inch : outside view
    1or2 x 17/19 inch : panel view, FMC, FSnavigator etc.
    1 x 17/19 inch : overhead panel view

The PC with FS on it will probably a new one with quadcore or better performance.

My questions are:
    - Has somebody built a similar setup already, experience ? , components used ?

- What is the best: 1xgraphiccard + 2xTH2G dig or 3x graphics cards with dual output ?

Please reference to important issues regarding XP/Vista and FS9/FSX related to the setup. I prefer to use FSX and Vista for the new system.

(issues I have already noticed in the forum: span screens in Vista, multi screen limit = 4 in FSX)

Regards,
    Herman

500+ This must be a daytime job

Seeing as you're using FSX, you're probably going to prefer using multiple computers (unless your FS PC is very high spec) or at least multiple display adapters on a single computer even with TH2G.

Just out of curiosity, which platform did you try out at Lelystad?

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi,

I have been thinking the same thing for some time now, and struggling to come to terms with the setup. I have decided to buy all the hardware EXCEPT the PC so that I can build the sim pit while I save more money for the PC. I have saved a few thousand AUSI dollars already and thought i'd put that into the PC, then joined here and saw everyones excellent sim pits and realised that the money would be better spent on the sim pit itself as the build time will be long!! SO im getting :

6 x 22 inch LCDs

( 3 x 22 for outside view using a single high end GTX280 card and TH2Go)

( 3 x 22 for panels using software G1000 setup) these would be placed under the 3 x 22 outside view panels.....

My worries are that if I get a single PC with a triple SLI capable motherboard but DON'T use SLI, then I should be able to use the other 2 slots to put low end cards like 9600's on to run my panel's ........ right...??????

I would like to just use a single high power i7 6GB ram machine with 3 graphics cards as described above, can someone chime in and let me know if its possible like this or do I need more than 1 PC ??

Thanks

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Efe Cem Elci View Post
    Seeing as you're using FSX, you're probably going to prefer using multiple computers (unless your FS PC is very high spec) or at least multiple display adapters on a single computer even with TH2G.

Just out of curiosity, which platform did you try out at Lelystad?
    I tried out Roland's platform, see simprojects.nl

Herman