Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Jetliners yokes, can I connect both of them to work in FS

Hi Folks,

Ive got a usb jetliner yoke and one with a gameport connection which I'm considering altering to use with a leo bodnar usb joystick card, my question is this can I have two joysticks assigned in FS9 at the same time so I could have a captain and first officer control yoke which will allow my sim to be flown form either seat.

obviously the pilot not flying will not be touching his control yoke except to press the push to talk switch to communicate over squawkbox.

thanks for any help

David.

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

dual yokes

hi david......
    i have two 737 yokes (not PFC). one was factory built and the other i 'sort of improved it
    a bit'.
    i have both yokes hooked up thru a BU0836A card using 4 of the axes available.
    i have assigned and calibrated them in FSUIPC. 2 axes for aileron and two for elevator.
    either pilot can fly. it's my experience that FSUIPC sees the axis that is changing and acts on that.
    however i dont see an issue with you having one USB yoke and attaching another to a BU0836 card. prior to being a '2 control column family', i had a couple of CH yokes hooked up and again, i could fly from either side.
    i think it just needs a little attention to detail when calibrating the axes, but once you have it done, way to go.
    good luck and let us know how you get on.
    regards from wales ... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

3. Thanks airbus319 thanked for this post

Thanks Ian for the prompt reply, I'll go ahead and order the Leo board now, was thinking about the X version but not sure I really need it (Yet).

One thing I didnt ask but I'm assuming will be the same answer is the rudder pedals, this will bring a whole new dimension to my sim, allowing proper line flying.

thanks again

David.

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

Leo's Board

david,
    if you're going to order a board, get the X board. ok, i know it's more expensive, but believe me if you have the capability of adding all those inputs, you're going to be 'gagging' to connect to them. trust me, i know........
    the expense and time making a matrix board, warrants you paying the extra. and on top of that, it's so much tidier (dont tell my bride i said that).
    soldier on.... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ian@737ng.co.uk View Post
    i have assigned and calibrated them in FSUIPC. 2 axes for aileron and two for elevator.
    either pilot can fly. it's my experience that FSUIPC sees the axis that is changing and acts on that.
    In all recent versions of FSUIPC, if you have more than one axis assigned (in FSUIPC itself) to the same function, it actually performs arbitration between the two -- taking the last one to change to the largest offset from central (or idle), for throttles. It would ignore changes on the "lesser" one whilst the last one to change held a higher deviation form centre/normal, even if that one didn't change again during that time.

The only important thing really is to try to make sure the range of values supplied by the different inputs are reasonably comparable, because there's only one calibration per control. If one of the yokes has a "centre" any significantly different to the other, it would be difficult to calibrate them sensibly to get good results -- you'd possibly have to have a wider dead (centre/idle) or flat zone (using slopes) than you'd like.

Regards

Pete