Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering tiller

300+ Forum Addict
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi Phil,

I just posted this in your thread on my Forum, but i'll repeat it here in case you aren't looking there at present:

Quote Originally Posted by philb737
    I will get back to you soon as I have an answer for you.
    I was investigating the solution I suggested that I might be able to implement when I stumbled across something already implemented in the current versions of both FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4. This was a sepcial facility to allow my PFC and GA28R drivers to send axes direct to FSUIPC's calibration facilities. Being of, as I thought then, limited usefulness it was not documented in the FSUIPC SDK, but only in the PFC driver document. Here are the details:

Application program axis handling

When using FSUIPC version 3.30 or later, application programs or modules can access the raw PFC axis values at offsets 3BA8 onwards. One 16-bit word is allowed for each (although currently all PFC axes have a maximum range of 0 to 127, this may change in future). The axes are:
    3BA8 0 Aileron
    3BAA 1 Elevator
    3BAC 2 Rudder
    3BAE 3 Quadrant axis 5
    3BB0 4 Quadrant axis 3
    3BB2 5 Quadrant axis 1
    3BB4 6 Left toe brake
    3BB6 7 Quadrant axis 6
    3BB8 8 Quadrant axis 4
    3BBA 9 Quadrant axis 2
    3BBC 10 Right toe brake
    3BBE 11 Elevator trim
    3BC0 12 Aileron trim
    3BC2 13 Rudder trim
    3BC4 14 Steering tiller
    3BC6 15 not used
    There are control flags (to disconnect these axes) at offset 3BC8. Each bit, 2^0 to 2^15 can be set to disconnect the equivalent numbered axis above. The cowl flap axes are not part of this facility.

So ... please try this: get your Phidgets software to send the Rudder value to 3BAC, and the Tiller value to 3BC4. Best to do both this way for better chance that the automatic switchover takes place based on airspeed and so on.

Let me know how you get on, please. If this is useful I might add the details to the regular offsets list.

Regards

Pete

2. Thanks CocnutAir, Philb737 thanked for this post

Thank you Pete!!! I will try your suggestion and post my findings as soon as I'm back home.
    Cheers
    Phil
    IF it's not Boeing I ain't going!!!!!!

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Philb737 View Post
    Thank you Alan and Gwyn,
    Alan, I will try what you suggested and post my findings! Gwyn, how dose the rudder paddles rotates the pot shaft? The tiller to pot shaft is very clear, I see a second pulley and a cable going down to the rudder mechanism, how is the second pulley attached to the rudder mechanism? Is there a third pulley on a crank?
    Best regards,
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

My rudder pedals slide in tracks and on the front of the left pedal there is a piece of trace wire attached. It goes under a guide pulley and up to the pulley on the pot, it's wrapped around a couple of times and then a fine spring keeps tension on the tail end. This little spring doesn't affect the rudder self centering. The result is true linear action on the pot and it works well. Wire trace drives on pot pulleys is common in some instrument enclosures that I work with - chart recorders etc. The "F.O." can still steer on the ground with pedals which is handy.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Very clever Gwyn!!!
    Thank you again.
    Phil
    IF it's not Boeing I ain't going!!!!!!

builder

You Aussies are such crafty buggers.

7. Thanks Westozy thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

HI Peter -

My set up: FS9/Winxp
    FSUIPC: 3.90
    Phidgets 8/8/8 card for tiller and rudder with FS2P control
    Project Magenta

I've assigned the tiller and rudder in FS2Phidgets as follows:
    Rudder: 3BAC, Size 2, Range Of values (the default display in FS2P Variable Editor is -16383 > +16383)
    Tiller: 3BC4, Size 2, Range Of Values ( ditto ditto )

With the above, I'm not getting any deflection in the FS rudder, using the tiller @<60kts, and using the rudder at >60kts or any speeds - I'm not sure if I've set up FS2P correctly, esp the Offset size and type -

The options in the FS2P variable editor are:
    OFFSET
    SIZE
    FS VARIABLE RANGE (RAW FS VALUE, RANGE OF VALUES, DIGITAL, PART OF BITMAP,ETC)

Of course, with this, both axis's are not assignable/controlable vis the FSUIPC menu -

Has anyone got the switchover going using Phidgets? For the moment, I've gone back to "steering" with the rudder using Rudder Control - 0BBA

cheers,

Farrokh

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by farrokh747 View Post
    With the above, I'm not getting any deflection in the FS rudder, using the tiller @<60kts, and using the rudder at >60kts or any speeds
    The list of offsets I mentioned are only conventionally assigned to those functions. Have you gone into FSUIPC Axis Assignments and actually assigned those to the functions of tiller and rudder? Since you are using a full range of -16k to +16k you'll need to select "RAW" mode too I think -- as I said earlier, they are normally handling a range 0-127 only, which is multiplied up to get -16k to +16k. That would make your values overflow the 16-bits.

After assigning correctly you have to calibrate both axes in the Joystick Calibration tab.

Of course, with this, both axis's are not assignable/controlable vis the FSUIPC menu
    Er, pardon? Can you explain please?

Regards

Pete

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dowson View Post

So ... please try this: get your Phidgets software to send the Rudder value to 3BAC, and the Tiller value to 3BC4. Best to do both this way for better chance that the automatic switchover takes place based on airspeed and so on.

Pete
    HI Peter = thanks for the reply -

From your earlier reply, I understood (or mis!) that I could also use the tiller/rudder switchover function using Phidgets - as you know, any input to FS vis Phidgets will not show up in the FSUIPC panel. Earlier, to get this working in my sim, I had assigned the tiller and rudder via FSUIPC using Leo Bodnar's board (which acts as a "joystick", hence can be caliberated in FSUIPC) - the rest of my fight controls are input via phidgets

I was attempting to get the tiller/rudder switchover going using phidgets, after reading the above -

I tried to assign Ofsets 3BAC and 3BC4 to the rudder and tiller resp. using the FS2P variable editor, but got no values changing in FS -

I've used the switchover with the tiller and rudder via FSUIPC and it works fine - I was hoping to get all my flight controls under one roof as it were

I hope this makes sense..

FS2P had a divider/multiplier function as well, I'll play with that and see if anything happens -

cheers!

fc

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by farrokh747 View Post
    From your earlier reply, I understood (or mis!) that I could also use the tiller/rudder switchover function using Phidgets
    If Phidgets can write values to offsets, yes, you can, as I said.

- as you know, any input to FS vis Phidgets will not show up in the FSUIPC panel.
    Sorry, I don't know anything about Phidgets.

Earlier, to get this working in my sim, I had assigned the tiller and rudder via FSUIPC using Leo Bodnar's board (which acts as a "joystick", hence can be caliberated in FSUIPC) - the rest of my fight controls are input via phidgets
    Okay ... but I'm not sure how that's relevant at present?

I tried to assign Ofsets 3BAC and 3BC4 to the rudder and tiller resp. using the FS2P variable editor, but got no values changing in FS -
    But did you (a) assign them in FSUIPC, in RAW mode, and (b) calibrate them in FSUIPc. If you didn't do both then you cannot expect to see anything happen in FS. It does work -- I use the offsets in three separate programs now, both for FSX and FS9. Values written to those offsets are seen as axes on joysticks 16-19 in FSUIPC's Axes tab.

I did ask you to check this -- please do re-read my last message, which you seem to have rather skipped over.

Regards

Pete

75+ Posting Member

Hi -

As i mentioned in my last reply, Ive been able to get the tiller/rudder switchover working using the FSUIPC controls. I've assigned and calibrated the 2 axis's and seen the authority transfer to the rudder as I reach 60kts. So no problem there - as long as I use a usb/joystick controller (Leo Bodnar's for eg) for these two inputs.

Windows does not see Phidgets as a joystick, and hence any controls connected to phidgets card will not show up in the FSUIPC calib/assignment windows. (there's the pity) - You can only calib and control Phidgets inputs using FS2P (or if you write your own interface!) - so far, I have not been able to use the 60kts transfer function if i use phidgets to connect my rudder and tiller - I have to stay with just the rudder.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to see if I can use the two offsets in Phidgets to get the switchover. As said, no problem with this using joystick/FSUIPC -

Phidgets has a powerful variable editor, and I'll see if I can get this going - and report any success

cheers and thanks!

Farrokh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast