150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Newbie needs advise

Hi all

I have been considering many different types of projection setups for my helicopter simpit.
    My cockpit is 1300mm long and the area in which I have to setup my sim is small. So I was looking at about a 2 meter long screen, curving it as much as I can to get some side views.
    I can only afford 1 budget projector and wondering is rear projection best?, if so what material is best to make a home made projection screen.

From what I have read, three projectors are the way to go to get close to 180 degree views but buying three projectors is just too expensive considering other build costs

Regards

Rhys

25+ Posting Member

Hi Rhys,
    this might seem odd, but there's a really creative, low cost idea for a homemade rear projection screen in this post: http://forums.makezine.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=43. I've tried it on a small scale, and it seems to work.

Hope it can help.

Steve

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks Steve

Could be worth a try

Regards

Rhys

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level rotorxtcy's Avatar

Thumbs up Projections

Hi all; I too am working on a Helicopter SimPit. I wanted to post some ideas for others who are working on the same. I have obtained a barco projector $25 (this thing is huge), a toshiba 2500lumens unit $250, and looking for another I think I found it. Anyway to give you all an idea I found these all on 'Craigslist'. Due to the economic times everyone is getting rid of things that are found to be luxuries but for us simmers this is a good thing. Check Craigslist and you all will be surprised what you will find. I found two p4 60gig computers dual layer units. I paid a total of 350 for both the people needed the money. They were asking 150 more ($75 a piece) than I was going to pay. I found three monitors svga for 50 bucks a piece I paid the person 20 for all three I nit picked them and the owner didn't know what I was doing. I found a 32'Wx16'H old theather screen that the guy didn't know how to use. He wanted 300 I am giving him 200 I pick it up Friday. Now I am working on the collective/throttle I am getting from a guy in Canada. I can't twitch about price because he is making it out of stainless steel. these will be mock bell 206 collective/thottle unit for $800 it's pretty much the best I can find http://www.computerrepairs.ca/Simula...brication.htm.
    that's my 2cents I hope this helped someone like this website has helped me so far.
    take care and keep the jesus nut tight
    rotorxtcy

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi rotorxtcy
    I am in the very early stage of construction. I am using a hughes 300 cockpit as a base to build a MD500E. I have pretty much collected all I need for the controls. I am using real helicopter controls from a MD500, pilots and co pilots collective, pedals and cyclic form a D model.
    My cockpit is dual control and I just need to interfaace the controls to Leo Bodnars BU0836X joystick controller.
    I start fabrication on the cockpit soon and will be using a lcd monitor for the insruments and projector for the ouside visuals

Regards

Rhys