10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FSX Sound Problem

When I start my flight the sound is fine, then after I get to about my cruising altitude, I hear a distinct pop... followed by a series of pops and cracking noises that make my flying experience unbearable. I added a sound card (to replace my onboard sound device) but that did not change anything.

I am running FSX Deluxe SP1 on Vista64Ultimate.
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Delux/AMD Phenom 9850/XFX GeForce 9800 GTX/CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066/TH2GO Digi/3 x 22" Samsung 2253bw LCDs/Saitek PZ44 Pro Flight Yoke System/Saitek PZ35 Pro Flight Rudder Pedals/GoFlight RP48, GF-T8, and MCP-Pro

25+ Posting Member

have you tried installing SP2? Not sure if this will solve the problem, but in general SPs are fixing known issues so you never know...
    Hope this helps.

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by airwolfe View Post
    When I start my flight the sound is fine, then after I get to about my cruising altitude, I hear a distinct pop... followed by a series of pops and cracking noises that make my flying experience unbearable. I added a sound card (to replace my onboard sound device) but that did not change anything.
    Is the frame rate quite high when cruising, like over 50 or so?

I think both FS9 and FSX can develop very clipped sound (which does give bad pops and crackles) with some sound cards and drivers, or even mobo sound chips (which these days are similar to the separate card ones) when the frame rates are high. I assume it is trying to handle the sound faster than the chipset can take it.

The only solution I ever found when that happened was to limit the frame rate -- on FS9 to 50 or less, on FSX maybe 30, though I've not had it happen with my latest rig and FSX so I'm not sure. On my previous one I couldn't get to 30 in any case! .

Regards

Pete

Hi,

This happening with ATI cards and heavy clouds. You have enough frames but it create chocks and have problem with sound.

Quote Originally Posted by airwolfe View Post

I am running FSX Deluxe SP1 on Vista64Ultimate.
    With best regards,
    Achilles
    http://www.thefsps.com

10+ Posting Member

My frame rate is locked at 20... I do have most other settings at very high though. I have tried turning settings down and setting clouds to simple, still the same problem at the same time. Often it is worst when I am descending into the airfield... regardless of the amount of traffic.
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Delux/AMD Phenom 9850/XFX GeForce 9800 GTX/CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066/TH2GO Digi/3 x 22" Samsung 2253bw LCDs/Saitek PZ44 Pro Flight Yoke System/Saitek PZ35 Pro Flight Rudder Pedals/GoFlight RP48, GF-T8, and MCP-Pro

Boeing 777 Builder

Airworlfe. I would highly recommend installing SP2 as many addons specifically require it, and it also fixes a number of other problems such as multicore support. All those "tweaks" we performed on initial release of FSX where rendered mostly unnecessary following SP2.

Also, and this may sound counter-intuitive, try increasing your frame rates to something around 50, or even Unlimited. FSX handles this setting differently to FS9 and where it use to help, particularly with scenery generation, it can in fact hinder it in FSX. This is often experienced closer to the ground i.e. on approach. In your case it might be affecting your sound reproduction.

If for some reason you really don't want to install SP2 try setting your frame rate to Unlimited and test fly it.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    If for some reason you really don't want to install SP2 try setting your frame rate to Unlimited and test fly it.

Ken.
    I tried unlimited... it's still happening though. I downloaded SP2, I may try that after work. Thanks.