Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level majortomh's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Introducing Flightdeck Air Combat Center!

I am Tom Hubbard, owner and operator of Flightdeck Air Combat Center in Anaheim CA. We have 7 F-16 cockpit sims (that used to be at Fightertown USA back in the day). Other than some various sims on the USS Midway in San Diego, we are the only retail flight simulation center in the Western US (and one of only a handful in the world to the best of my knowledge). We are looking to upgrade the interior of our cockpits and hope to get some critical info and ideas from all of you experts!
    Feel free to check out our website at www.WannaDogfight.com and give us any feedback. If any of you are ever in Socal, please call me personally and I will give you a friend of Flightdeck discount.

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

Tom

2. Thanks Joe Cygan, W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Mycockpit. Hopefully some of us here can help you with your projects. Many of the building techniques used on the airliners can be used for your fighters.

Best of luck to you.

Trev

Very cool.....

Very nice, great idea, wish I was going to Cali. soon. Could you provide us with more technical information about your sims so we can help. What is your database, MSFS, X-plane, Proprietary? What do the interior of the cockpits look like? What kind of improvements are you looking for. This is the BEST technical site, due to user input and knowledge, welcome.

Airbus

Hey Tom,
    Don't know if you remember me but me and my son came in and flew at your facility last time I was down visiting him, he lives on Garden Grove Blvd and West St. In Garden grove. So being so close we went a few times. I was the gent from Canada. We did some night traps and some dogfights it was a really great time , I loved that you can dogfight against each other and your guy in the booth handles all ATC. Your cockpits were fantastic. The only thing I wished was instead of the hat switch to look around you had a screen all around you But if I remember you had quite a few sims there so it would definitely be costly. But overall the whole Flight Suit thing, briefing and setup was super professinal. Highly recommended to anyone in Anaheim Ca visiting Disneland its only about 10 min away from there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CNWBOPfEyY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQokF...eature=related

Tim

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level majortomh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ak49er View Post
    Very nice, great idea, wish I was going to Cali. soon. Could you provide us with more technical information about your sims so we can help. What is your database, MSFS, X-plane, Proprietary? What do the interior of the cockpits look like? What kind of improvements are you looking for. This is the BEST technical site, due to user input and knowledge, welcome.
    My ignorance will begin to show through...NOW. We are currently using Falcon 4 Allied Forces with the latest patches. Our HDD is static right now, but we plan to let the programmer for Falcon Gauges customize them, so that they are functional. We desperately need to replace our panels...they take quite a beating from the general public (as you can well imagine). Working on getting the rudder pedals functional...it's all a matter of the dough-rey-mi!
    We are trying to get our squadron program pumped up, so we need to increase the fidelity! The general public (whom I love desperately) typically look like deer caught in the headlights when they walk on to the flight deck and see all of the sims lined up...it is a sweet sight!
    So I am trying to have the best of both worlds...an environment inside and outside the cockpit that will wow the general public and still give the hard core simmer a jolt! Plus, making a couple of bucks would be fine by me as well. The last few people who have tried to do this have ended up with their dirty side up in recent years.

I'll try to post a picture of the interior (if you promise not to laugh loud enough for me to hear it in Socal).
    Attached Images Attached Images

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

I would definitely check out www.viperpits.org. They're the undisputed F-16 simpit home. I'm sure they'd be full of ideas on how to upgrade both hardware and software. Once Fighter Ops is released, it might be good to migrate to that platform when they have the F-16 aircraft add-on finalized. www.fighterops.com. Both places have a lot of good software and hardware developers. Overall Mycockpit will also be a great resource. It's more civil avaiation based, but the concepts carry over fine to warbirds.

8. Thanks majortomh thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    I would definitely check out www.viperpits.org. They're the undisputed F-16 simpit home. I'm sure they'd be full of ideas on how to upgrade both hardware and software. Once Fighter Ops is released, it might be good to migrate to that platform when they have the F-16 aircraft add-on finalized. www.fighterops.com. Both places have a lot of good software and hardware developers. Overall Mycockpit will also be a great resource. It's more civil avaiation based, but the concepts carry over fine to warbirds.
    We've been waiting for Fighter Ops for what seems like forever...the graphics look spectacular. Our challenge is that we'll need certain modifications for running 7 sims together. We started of with a proprietary software (Eaglesim) which is used on the USS Midway...very functional, but very dated and unstable. Tried to get in touch with the people at (oh geez...a senior moment...must....remember name....), the guys in Russia.

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by majortomh View Post
    We've been waiting for Fighter Ops for what seems like forever...the graphics look spectacular. Our challenge is that we'll need certain modifications for running 7 sims together. We started of with a proprietary software (Eaglesim) which is used on the USS Midway...very functional, but very dated and unstable. Tried to get in touch with the people at (oh geez...a senior moment...must....remember name....), the guys in Russia.
    I have a lot of faith in Fighter Ops. Keep in mind that what they're doing is quite huge considering it's not many of the dev's day jobs. I've been following it since 2006 as one of the Area 51 members. I also am a focus tester for Mythic Entertainment, so I'm used to gauging dev progress. They're still in pretty good shape as far as developer timeline to scratch build a whole client/server infrastructure. IMHO, we'll see good things from XSi come 2011. They're already doing a lot of things behind the scenes gearing up that are Area 51 exclusive content I can't talk about. It is sort of tough leveraging Falcon 4 after all of these years. I'm really quite anxious to see Fighter Ops finally step up to the plate. I would sell the idea to XSi to add in bits to assist with the business sides of simpits. I don't see why they shouldn't be open to something along that lines. It would give the FO franchise another avenue to get the word out about it. FO will have a lot of online and networking infastructure built into it with the campaign server and squadron building online. I think it would adapt quite well to a 7 sim LAN setup.

If you wanted to swap out the internals of your cockpit shells with high fidelity parts, there are a bunch of sources on viperpits to get it done. I'm very impressed with what they've managed to accumulate in knowledge over there just about the F-16. Out of curiosity, who did the shell designs originally in your avatar? I like the canopy addition to the simpits. Heat forming plexi to make a canopy is easier said than done.

If you're interested in the future about classic jets, I'll probably have F-84 simpit kits ready for production in a year or so.

Our shells

Our shells were originally made for Fightertown USA in Lake Forrest, CA. They went belly up in '99 after an ownership change that took them south. My business partner found 8 of the pits for sale on Ebay and called the owner of the pits (who originally bought them at the business auction) when they didn't sell, made him an offer, and then stored the pits for a couple of years until we hooked up to start Flightdeck (www.flightdeck1.com). Finding a source to get more manufactured hasn't been easy.

We would eventually like to move to a bigger facility, have another 5 or 6 pits, and be able to host larger groups (and squadrons), but have to wait until our existing business model becomes more stable. Hard as it is to believe, there are some peopl in this world who don't value flight sim as much as they ought... some crazy notion of paying their bills, putting food on the table, and similar nonsense!

A new (and very short video clip) of Flightdeck in action can be seen at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_M_8NiRqsw

12. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post

I've always wondered how you guys ran all that software together. Does each sim have it's own computer? How does the tower tie into the sims and so forth if you don't mind me asking?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast