2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

WinXP Trojan, Reloaded OS

I picked up a very nasty trojan virus last night that I've finally finished repairing a few minutes ago.

I ended up having to reformat the drive and reload the OS it was so bad. First time this has ever happened to me on an XP machine.

I was at the Photobucket site and accidentally clicked of one of their advertising links instead of a photo I was going after.

The strange thing is that Outlook Express would not allow the body of a message to be displayed, nor was I able to get the cursor into the replay area for sending a message.

After removing IE7, everything is back to normal. It works fine now.
    I tried every fix I could find including all of those from the Microsoft site, but nothing worked except reverting to EI6.

I'm glad it worked out this way, because I hated IE7.

Has anyone else ever had problems with IE7 and Outlook Express?
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

75+ Posting Member

This sort of thing used to always happen to me when I used IE (any version).
    I changed to Firefox about 16 months ago and I've never had a problem since then.
    I've even converted 2 of my sons to use Firefox as they are big internet users (movies, games etc) and they are very happy with it too.

Paul

I read about the problem on a lot of sites, but none of the recommended fixes would fix it.

I really didn't know IE6 was hiding under IE7. I thought I was going to have to do a re-install of the browser.

Still haven't figured out why it was corrupt. It came right off of the operating system disc.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

I was a big fan of IE1 - 6, but since IE7 arrived, switched to Firefox. IE7 was slowing down my computer.

Now that I use Firefox, I never looked back. I even installed an Add-on that syncs my Bookmark (Favorites in IE) called Foxmarks. Even if I have to reformat my PC, I will always have my Bookmarks. And if I add a bookmark at home, I will have it available om my work PC.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | C# Avionics | CNC)

Forum Moderator

I hate IE, it always seems slow, complicated and cluttered, no real ease! I used to get your problem quite alot on the PC, i mainly use Safari on the mac which is real quick (they make safari for pc too!), its a doddle to use and plain simple and speedy, and on my pc i use firefox coz firefox is hassle free, simple and quick, no clutter and has more useful features!

Though i have come across 'google chrome' which is googles own internet explorer, that seems to run really quick, if not faster than safari, ive never had a prob since ive loaded it a few weeks back, try it....its really fast and bug free!

I've used IE for more than 10 years now with this being the only problem.

I don't think one problem in that amount of time justifies jumping ship to another browser. I like it, I know how to use it, and I'm comfortable with it.

Firefox is in use at work and I think it stinks.

Unfortunately, I couldn't repair it without getting rid of the latest release. But I say good riddance anyway to that version (7). I didn't like the layout and the cartoonish icons.

Same thing I don't like about Vista and XP in it's original form. All the computers that are running XP are set up in Classic Windows style.

I'm not sure when Microsoft decided that Windows and the browsers should look like a Saturday morning cartoon, but I don't like it one bit.
    Boeing Skunk Works