Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi from Queensland Australia

Hi guys

I have been lurking on this site for a few years now. Joined up a while ago but this is my first post.

I live on Thursday Island in the Torres Strait. A beautiful island in warm tropical waters with plenty of great fishing. Part of my job is to fly in the rescue helicopter so I get to see some great views of the area. For those interested I have built a website and it has some photos of the area. You can see it at www.torresstraitambulance.com. (my apologies to those out there that are experiencing snow at the moment...)

I have been going through the 'yes i will' no i wont' contemplation of building a cockpit over that time. Its a hard thing to decide to invest in, and then there is the decision on which type to build. Jet, prop, large, small too many to choose from.

I am leaning toward a dash 8 but then again a Bae146 or maybe an ATR.. see ... cant decide ... one day maybe.

I dont have a minister of war and finanace (wife/partner) to dictate the funding for the project so thats not an issue, its just the committment... one day maybe..

AND of course then there is the question of FS9 or FSX.. the need for plenty of processing power and graphics... one day maybe...

So I will keep reading the forums and drooling over the monitor at all the great cockpits and work you guys do / have done and will have to settle on a design and get building... one day maybe

Cheers

Dave

Gidday Dave,
    good to see you here and welcome!
    Man, you are blessed to live in a place like that!
    (I am one of the guys with snow behind the doorstep ...)
    Cheers
    René

500+ This must be a daytime job

Welcome to Mycockpit Dave! Take a look around and remember, you don't have to go with a specific design immediately. A lot of us started with a generic GA setup and then took the next step once we were comfortable with building and had made the decision based on the experience we had gained till that point.

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Dave, good to see more Aussies joining (invading) this forum. I've got lots of family up the Queensland coast up to Mackay. I can imagine it would be spectacular to fly around that area (albeit a little sticky!).

Here's my suggestions for what it's worth (and may be highly disputed by others):

Go for FSX! If you've seen Orbx's FTX Australian scenery addon for FSX you'll never go back to FS9 (sorry FS9 lovers). Yes it's a hog, but today's processors are easily up to the task, and I'm betting just like Windows 7, FSII will be a friend to your CPU!!

From the aircraft you mention, go for the ATR as your aircraft of choice for your home cockpit. The reason is that Flight1 produce a fantastic ATR72-500 which models most systems in high detail, so similar to the the LevelD767 (though not exactly), you will be able to activate panel and overhead functions to a greater degree than anything modelled for the other aircraft you mention. Of course the choice is yours and should be based on love of craft, but if the love is equal then go for the ATR. Better still, go for the LevelD 767 and get full functionality!

Be careful though as it's very addictive!

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

75+ Posting Member

Hi Dave,

Welcome aboard, i see there is a little interest in a BAE146. I have quite a few friends interested in the same however im not sure if there is much available for a BAE146, im more of a 737 builder.

Good luck with whatever you choose to build and be aware, cockpit building is addictive.

Clint

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level Eagleizer's Avatar

Hi! I`m new here too. No need to worry about the snow! There should have
    been a lot of snow here in Norway now, but there is nothing! Too bad! Guess
    we just have to get used to global warming...
    XP x64 - MAXIMUS FORMULA SE - EVGA 8800GTX KO ACS3 - 8GB Mushkin RedLine - Lapped QX9650 (WC) - TH2Go@5040x1050 -ELTAX Table Fan (Case Cooling)

Welcome to another Aussie.

Enjoy the forum and take your time in choosing an aircraft. I agree with Ken, carefully balance your love of the aircraft with functionality.

cheers

"Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.