Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I have a new idea for MyCockpits.org!

Hi Its me again! (Of Course lol)

I have a great idea for the site which could help hundreds of newbies to the site that are new to flying and new to aviation as a whole wether building a cockpit or flying flight sim.

My idea is, could you have a 'terminology' tab somewhere, where you can list all the abrieviations and meanings of all the humble jumble that pilots and sim builders use, like all there language that knowone knows what they are on about! My idea is an A-Z, Something like:

AIRMET = Airmen's Meteorological Information

AIRMET SIERA = (Mountain Obscuration or IFR) ceilings less than 1000 feet and/or visibility less than 3 miles affecting over 50% of the area at one time. Extensive mountain obscuration.

AIRMET TANGO = Moderate Turbulence, sustained surface winds of 30 knots or more.

AIRMET ZULU = (Icing) Moderate icing, freezing levels

ATPL = Air Transport Pilots License (Passport To Heaven)

Because so many people use shortened or abrieviated words in postings, some people and especially new people to aviation may struggle to know what they are on about, and by having a 'terminology' section you could clarify what the person is talking about or relating to and everyone can understand the topic, or atleast go and learn the topic now knowing what it all means!

We could make it all abit fun and include abit of witty banter and humour so you remeber it, and most of all remember where you learnt it....mycockpit.org

Its all one big learning curve and i think mycockpit.org should provide a means of clarifying whats contained in the members postings!

Im pretty sure that theres nothing like this on the site, i havent seen it yet or its hard to find!

2. Thanks AndyT, Matt Olieman, Trevor Hale thanked for this post
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

This is a great idea. I will look into the best way to manage something like that. I never did think about this, and I appreciate your suggestion.

If northing else, one for sure that describes the terminology we use in simulator building for sure..

Give me a few days to figure this one out.

What a great suggestion.

Best regards,

Trev

Hi Trevor!

Always happy to help out in anyway i can!

Cant wait to see how it all turns out!

All the best!

Alex

AP08

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

The idea of having a building glossary is very good.

However, this isn't a newbie site for desktop sim pilots and I don't wish to see this site turn into another FS.com. There are plenty of existing sites that can help out those that are complete neophytes regarding FS.

The Forum Manager's two-cents worth.

I appologise if that sounds harsh, but this is a builder's site for serious hobbyists. We are all already familiar with FS and how to fly our chosen aircraft.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

I didnt really intend for my idea to be based on newbies, i just thought that for people new to sim building that put things in their own words instead of MyCockpit.org terminology it would be a good idea to kind of translate whats being said!

Again as you know Michael i was a complete newbie, infact you got me here, and i picked things up quite quickly and still today there are things said that i dont understand, maybe i have to do a little homework still and research things out instead of being told what they are, but its still nice to have alittle help in terms of whats being said and what things mean. I think the reason everyone comes here is because they either love the thought of designing and building their own cockpit or is just curious to how it all works in relation to real aviation and what you can make at home!

I honestly thought that when i started out that FS forums was the forum for me and would solve all my problems in terms building a sim.....and how wrong was i, this forum is the forum for me and thousands of others, i think people have a 'clue' about sims and aircraft when starting out on this website but this forum just enhances your knowlege and can take you to quite an advanced level of simming!

In my own words i think that MyCockpit.Org is the direct upgrade path from flightsim forums because you do have to understand the flightsim your running before you can convert it into an actual fully working cockpit.

Ok, maybe your right about maybe not including actual aviation terminology as you should know the basics from flight simming before you upgrade to building, but i also think that alot of people on this forum build boeing jets, airbuses and business jets and its really at its peak, especially the ever so popular 737, it seems that everyone wants a 737ng in their loft these days, with all this hype it gives people inspiration and motivation to build these jets as compared to the little cessna that they are used to, i cant speak for everyone but i would of thought the half-sensible type would atleast learn to fly on the Cessna or Piper light aircraft as you probably would in real life, what im saying is: by the end of this year i will have my Cessna 182 built and i would like to prob build the learjet45 and then who knows what other aircraft?, but to get ideas on how to build it you read people posts and many feature complex terminology about the systems and controls involved, so i would of thought that if you had basic 'airliner systems' terminology included in the terminology atleast you would know what they are talking about as maybe this particular area may not be covered or featured in flightsim forums or flightsim itself and can only be discussed by people that actually work with the aircraft such as engineers and pilots and advanced sim builders, and when these people talk, your like "huh?" so just a simple "this means this..." would help people on here more than you think i recon, everyone has to start somewhere and something as basic as a basic terminology wether it be for sim building or 'basic' airline terminology will not hurt anyone nor make the site look like 'cockpit builders for dummies' it can only strengthen someones knowledge and make the website more resourceful nether the less more usefull, if for some reason someone already knows it all then they dont have to look at it.

I solute you!

Alex

AP08

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carter View Post
    this isn't a newbie site for desktop sim pilots
    Shame, as a desktop sim builder I always felt quite comfortable here while I daydream of bigger and better things. MyCockpit.com was the first site I found, and has been my home online ever since. From noob needing help with a graphics issue a year or so back onwards.

I don't have 1000's of hours in FS and I don't have a cockpit as yet, just some home made desktop mounted panels. In fact with work pressure my flying time is so limited I am amazed I got the hunter on the ground in one piece last night.

End of the day this site has never been or felt elitist in any way, I am not sure this was what you intended to imply in your post, but its how I read it. It would be shame if us on the fringe who don't have a full 747 in the lounge felt pressure to leave for FS.com whatever that is because we are noobs, desktop pilots, or any other 'Non Hardcore Cockpit' builder brand.

Sure you want here to be about cockpit building, but you need everyone from the hardcore builder to the enthusiast for this place to work. In my thoughts anyway. Also even the hardcore builder has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is going to start with the noob questions and desktop flight.

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

I quite agree with you magicaldr !

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I think you misunderstood my post.

I'm trying to avoid attracting people who are on a desktop and do not wish to go any farther than that.

Questions such as "how do I paint an aircraft", or "what's the best keyboard for FS", and "how do I line up for the runway", and "how do I perform an ILS approach" is what I'm trying to avoid.

Valid questions of any sort relating to actually building, programming, or wiring something, anything, are always welcome here.

There is a difference between someone who is a casual flyer sitting at a desk killing time that doesn't care the first thing about doing it right and someone who is not satisfied with sitting in front of a computer monitor at a desk and wants to take the next step. The former is what I'd rather not see here with those questions. As I said above, there are other sites that can handle the basics of flying and meandering your way around FS.

I also want to avoid the desk top folks who have aspirations bigger than their parents' wallets. Big plans and no money.

Sorry if I ruffled any wings. That was not my intention.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!