Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PMDG Offsets

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Thanks Peter

Not quiet sure what your talking about Peter, but thanks anyway.

Daveanne

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Daveanne View Post
    Not quiet sure what your talking about Peter, but thanks anyway.
    Didn't you just ask a question:

"does anyone know how to "dampen down" the erratic movements of the throttle leavers in PMDG (737-800)"
    ?

I was suggesting a way to solve your problem without much difficulty. Have you never read any of the information about facilities in FSUIPC? The Lua plug-in facility allows you to do all sorts of things that previously you'd have had to write complex programs to do, and they run INSIDE FS so are much more efficient.

However, if you are really not interested, or aren't interested in paying for FSUIPC registration, I'll certainly not press the subject.

Pete

Thanks Peter

Please don't mis-understand me, I have been a payed up member of FSUIPC ever since I first purchased my PMDG 800 programme, which must be about 2.5 years by now......?

However like most we just use it for the things we can do in it and associate with FS/PMDG etc, I read a thread from Ian (nearly Wales), once about the new side of the programme you mention, however have not been anywere near it at present.

When I said I didn't understand what you had decribed, I meant just that, it all sounded gobble-de-gook to me, is there an easy to understand tutorial within FSUIPC that describes how to use it as you describe?

Many thanks

Daveanne

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

LUA Plugin

hi dave....
    have a look at pete's forum page here
    http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopi...80f35a1c9267c7
    gives a basic rundown of what the program does and a few examples.
    don't worry, you're not on your own......i've been looking at this trying to learn how it works, but it all takes time and it's my hobby not my job ))
    have a great week.... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

Bewildered....!

Ian, thanks for the link, but looking at it I still haven't got a clue......

Do I need to learn another language or something?

All seems like gobble-de-gook to me?

Daveanne

300+ Forum Addict

When I said I didn't understand what you had decribed, I meant just that, it all sounded gobble-de-gook to me, is there an easy to understand tutorial within FSUIPC that describes how to use it as you describe?
    No, there is no room inside FSUIPC for tutorials, and I cannot write tutorials to save my life. But I didn't design Lua in any case. It's a public-domain easy language which has been adopted by lots of applications, especially games, to allow them to be customised, or even simply for their parameter files.

If you can understand how to put together small logical sequences for programs such as SIOC (is it SIOC, or maybe Phidgets? I don't know) and, certainly, pmSystems, then it would be easy.

But even if not, the Lua folks publish idiot's guides, reference materials, etc. All in real paperback books if you want to buy them (as I did), but otherwise readable on-line.

The Announcements section on my Support forum includes an entry for Lua and that includes links to the places you can go for more information. The Lua stuff I provide includes only the list of FSUIPC functions I've added (for stuff like reading and writing offsets, buttons, keypresses, and displaying stuff), plus a number of examples you can run, tinker with, modify, and so on. That's about as far as I can go towards "tutorials", really.

But if it is all gobble-de-gook to you (why aren't aircraft manuals also gobble-de-gook, by the way? They are easily as complicated), please don't bother. What you never had you won't miss, I suppose. I was only trying to suggest a solution to your gobble-de-gooky (to some) axis problems.

Pete

Thanks Peter

Peter, thanks for the pointer in the right direction.

Your comment about aircraft manuals, well I have a Private Pilots license and have also been instructing in Gliders for about 20 years now, so with over a thousand hours flying under my belt, I feel 'slightly' qualified to speak on the subject.

Many thanks for your help anyway.

Daveanne

300+ Forum Addict

I feel 'slightly' qualified to speak on the subject.
    Which is exactly why I wouldn't think you'd find it too taxing on the little grey cells to take a look at the simplified way you can use Lua to "program" things in FSUIPC to do odd little jobs, like smoothing your throttle values. Just writing it (and my answers, effectively) off as "gobble-de-gook" just seems wrong for an obviously intelligent man. I'd expect rather more, to be honest.

It really smacks of lack of interest, which i can understand, but that would indicate that you really weren't too serious in an answer to your problem in the first place. Could that be so?

I don't write off aircraft manuals or ever those boring JAR regulations as gobble-de-gook, even though I am less interested in them since I was not even allowed to get a medical certificate for flying because of my Retinitis Pigmentosa condition, and I would hope that after all the efforts I've been putting ino FSUIPC to make it easily possible to solve little problems like yours that they would also not be so casually and insultingly discarded.

Just say you aren't interested, or haven't the time, rather than use phrases like "gobble-de-gook", please.

Regards

Pete

Appology

Peter,

Please do not miss-understand me at all, or my comments, you appear to have taken my comment "gobbledygook" as an insult, which it was most definately not, therefore please except my sincere apologies.

The fact that gobbledygook is described as "Pompous, unintelligible jargon" according to the Oxford English Dictionary, and means exactly what I referred to namely: to ME the SIOC ? or whatever programming process was just exactly that, not Pompous, but definately unintelligible jargon to me.

I have never come across it and or used it at all, so everything you referred to was just a complete mystery to me, maybe and incorrect use of the word I grant you, but no malice was intended.

I am very aware of all the very excellent and hard work you have put into the Flight Simming world and its operating systems, indeed every one is deeply indebted to your most excellent programming skills.

However, not everyone is as capable of grasping new concepts and or skills as you are, for myself when teaching people to fly, which by the way is not a technical matter, just a technique, then mostly I have to reduce my teachings to the lowest common denominator, i.e. start at the basics.

Therefore my comment about your original suggestion was a truthfull one "I didn't understand what you were talking about", having never seen or used any programming language at all in my life (well maybe I had a dabble with "Basic" on an old Vic20 years ago, wow! that brings memories back).

So to summarise, my understanding is that I need to learne SIOC to use the programme, is this correct?

If so, where would you suggest I start ? could you recommend suitable reading material?

Once again many thanks for your help

Daveanne

300+ Forum Addict

So to summarise, my understanding is that I need to learne SIOC to use the programme, is this correct?
    No. No. No. SIOC is someone else's thing related to specific hardware. I know precious little about it except that it is rather more obtuse, to me at least, than Lua.

All the references I gave you and that Ian also gave you were to the Lua announcement on my Forum, where there's a link to the Lua site.

If so, where would you suggest I start ? could you recommend suitable reading material?
    The Lua site, as already suggested a few messages back. You seem to have missed out on reading some. For example, I said this three or four messages back (?)

The Announcements section on my Support forum includes an entry for Lua and that includes links to the places you can go for more information. The Lua stuff I provide includes only the list of FSUIPC functions I've added (for stuff like reading and writing offsets, buttons, keypresses, and displaying stuff), plus a number of examples you can run, tinker with, modify, and so on. That's about as far as I can go towards "tutorials", really.

Before rushing off and looking directly at Lua stuff, though, I would have thought the easiest thing to do, not involving anything more complicated than copying some files from a ZIP and assigning some buttons or key presses to new controls in FSUIPC that these files would add, would be to try out the examples I provided, whilst perusing the few text lines contained in each file. This would quickly give you some small idea of what it was all about.

As with almost anything, until you've actually bothered to look, you are unlikely to see anything. Right? Why jump in the deep end when you can play first and see if it looks enticing enough? If not, nothing lost except a few minutes.

Regards

Pete

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast