2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I can't believe my son did this!!

Somehow, somewhere, my son found an original set of initial training manuals published by TWA for new hires. I have more than a basic understanding of the 727 systems, functions, and how to fly it, but this goes way above and beyond.

There is so much useful information in here I don't know if I'll ever learn all of it. There are a lot of excerpts from the POH, but it explains the 'why' and 'how come's' that I've been wanting to know.

Ten million rules of thumb and hints and tips about flying the 727 as well as a lot of math calculations for weight & balance, aerodynamics, etc., etc.

Reading this stuff is like sitting down for a cup of coffee with a 727 Captain and asking all of the questions I've been dying to ask for the last six years and no one to talk to.

In addition, he also sent the almost 600 page book written by a 727 Captain about oral preparation and practical preparation for the checkride in the 727.
    More rules of thumb, why things do what they do and what causes it. CRM, roles of the aircrew, etc, etc.

Best gift I received. What am I gonna do with that boy?

Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Great Stuff Mike, I am sure happy for you. Merry Christmas, Hopefully you will get time to sit and have a quality read.

Trev

Thanks Trevor. Ordered from Afganistan to, no doubt, but shipped from Olathe, Kansas.

I hope I have time enough to just get through the first two chapters of the first manual.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Boeing 777 Builder

Wow Mike, I know how you feel. Such a tasty lot of information and what a wonderfully personal Christmas present!

He's a good boy hey?

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

That is an incredible gift! You need to take him out for a nice steak dinner at least.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Man what a find! Im very happy for you, what a great gift!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

After several years of trying to understand the 727 electrical systems, I think I finally have a handle on it.

DC supplies nearly everything on the aircraft. Mostly through transformer rectifiers, the hot battery buss, and the battery transfer buss.

My biggest hangup on this whole electrical system was understanding the difference between a control buss and a load buss. After reading a few chapters in the smaller book in the photo it was like this giant light bulb illuminated over my head! Now I know where this electricity comes from! And better still, WHY!

There are eight, count 'em, 8 DC busses aboard the 727.

Yes, power comes from the AC generators about the aircraft from the three engines, but it's distributed to the transformer rectifiers and outputted as DC to most all of the aircraft systems. Very little runs on AC aboard this aircraft. Fluorescent fixtures, the galley, and a few other items.

There is only one static inverter aboard the aircraft, a small unit and believe it or not, power produced by it is monitored by the turn & bank indicator. Those were removed years ago, and now it's in a permanent standby mode unless called up by the battery transfer buss from Essential DC. This would only occur during a total AC failure. You could always tell if the inverter was working by checking the turn & bank indicator.

In addition, if you have anomalies in two or more unrelated systems, it's time to start checking the DC control busses for a fault. These are insideous failures as there are no warning lights or any sort of a horn to tell you that something is wrong until a system starts malfunctioning or failing.

Unbelievable information in all of these books. The POH just doesn't go that in-depth with these systems. It tells you which switch to throw and when, and what to do when something goes wrong, but it doesn't tell you WHY!

This is perhaps the hardest of all 727 systems to understand because of the multiple redundancy of all of the electrical systems.

I'm in 727 AC/DC Electrical Buss Nirvana!!!
    Boeing Skunk Works