2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Turbine Sound Studios Review

There has been talk of this company and its products on another forum and a forum within that site dedicated to the DF727.

TSS has released (months ago) an enhanced sound pack for the DF727. They also have many more sound packs available for other Boeing and Airbus aircraft.

Before describing the sounds, I want to say there has been an ongoing issue with the DF727 while attempting to perform a correct engine start. This has kept me away from purchasing for a long time, but I finally gave in.

The start-up sound loops over and over after introducing air to the starter. It repeats 12 times before 19% is reached and fuel is introduced to the hot section. This doesn't occur if you cheat and use the Ctrl-E start method. A lot of desktop simmers probably use this start method and couldn't care less if it sounds correct or not.

TSS says it's the DF sound files or the way they are timed, or something I'm sure I have no understanding of, and of course DF says it's the TSS sound pack causing it. I don't know who to believe, but at any rate it's a bit annoying, and it won't likely be solved by either party.

Still, these sounds are authentic and much better than what DF included with the flight model. I've listened to hundreds of JT-8D starts and this is the best I've ever heard. The guy recording this sound must have been standing right next to one as it was being started to get sound this good.

The start is extended as the engine spools up after fuel is introduced; not like the abrupt cut-off you will hear with the DF sound files. It really is an amazing add-on for the DF727. You can hear the combustion taking place as the fire is lit and the engine continues to spool.

The sound of the engines in the cockpit is a bit more pronounced than with the DF727, but it's not overpowering as though you were sitting in the cabin. Just a light tubine whine and a bit more rumble than the DF727. In the DF727 all you can hear is rumble and with all of the other noise in the cockpit, you can't tell if the engine is running or not if you don't check the gauges or if you lose a generator.

It seems to be much easier to judge the power setting by ear rather than have to constantly monitor the N1 on an approach. It's a very distinctive sound, that while not loud, is very discernable over the other cockpit noise. And the 727 cockpit is not exactly a recording studio either. There is fan noise, altimeter shaker, trim chain clanking all the time, windscreen outside air noise, etc.

They did a very fine job on the landing gear extension and retraction sounds too, as well as the flaps, and the increased wind noise from each. You can picture in your mind all of the mechanisms moving and making noise as the gear is moving or you are making a flap setting. As the gear handle is moved up or down, you can hear (feel?) the nose gear doors opening to their stops and then begin to hear the gear coming up. If I had a sub-woofer hooked up (I have a 100watt powered sub, but no where to place it) I'm sure I'd be feeling that in my seat.

The reverser sounds have been enhanced as well. The reversers now sound like the reversers in the many videos I've watched of 727 landings. Very good indeed. A bit more runway rumble has been added as well. You really know you're down now.

A very worthwhile $13 US spent even with the startup looping flaw.

If you are not using PM sounds or PM at all, it would be worth investigating these sound packs for your simulator. There are many to choose from including turboprop, and the most popular jet engines being manufactured.
    Last edited by Michael Carter; 12-01-2008 at 12:26 PM.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!