Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boeing 777 Builder

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

The Avionics Completed!

Well the avionics stack is finished apart from coding in SIOC but initial trials have already proved very successful. I must say though that the amount of work in constructing this lot was enormous! Lots of it consumed with tinkering around different methods of construction and in particular backlighting, but the wiring and never-ending soldering almost drove me insane.

I guess this is why it's called cockpit BUILDING. Had I known about the pre-built OC versions before I ordered these I might have gone down a different road, however I figure I've saved about $1000AUD by DIYing.

Now I'm off for a well earned Christmas break

BTW. I'll probably cop a roasting from the Boeing purists, but you'll notice the extra encoders on the Comm, Nav & ADF. I wanted the separate control over high and low digits and I happen to have plenty of single encoders on hand. I thought about ordering dual concentrics and waiting months for delivery but then figured I'm not building a Boeing and the separate encoders fit into the panel very nicely. It did increase the cabling however! I didn't order enough grey knobs though which is why the ADF and XPDR have black knobs temporarily.

Ken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

2. Thanks Joe Cygan thanked for this post

Awesome job Ken.

Looks great. Nice work. Your pit is really coming together. I should have my OC boards in the next week. The sioc files you sent me worked great in helping me get my Outputs board up and running for my mcp. Now I cant wait to start playing with inputs and encoders (I ordered the USB Expansion, a master card, 2 inputs breakout boards with encoders, 1 outputs breatkout board.

Again, nice work and inspiring

Regards,
    Scott

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

They look great Ken. I too would rather be able to control the digits separately like on the older radios with a dual concentric switch or encoder.

I haven't seen an aftermarket head yet that includes that feature, or even separate switches.

The newer style of Gables radios installed in Boeings seem rather spartan on the faceplate. There's no DME on/stby, no test Nav/DME, not even a receive or 'on' indicator.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Super Moderator

Awesome job Ken!

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Fantastic work there. I would just recommend getting the dzus bolts on those panels instead of the screws.

Keep up the precise work.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Boeing 777 Builder

Glad those files are working for you Scott. Of course they're all thanks to other more experienced programmers. It's also a good move to order the OC input and output breakout boards. I made my own and I constantly have connection issues, so when I order my extra grey knobs I'm ordering some of these also. I think I'm going to need a second Master card once I start on the overhead.

And yes those mounting screws are only temporary. I won't be replacing them with Dzus screws as such but certainly somthing more appropriate. The aluminium rails will also be painted.

Right now I'm really keen to start work on the coding. Nico Kaan's SIOC files offer some great functions like reading the radio frequencies from the sim panel and writing them to the hardware at startup, using the Test switch to write 8's to all displays, and incorporating a dimming function to adjust display brightness, and all this is done within the SIOC code, no hardware addons.

I've also documented the whole build process for each radio head which I'll compile into a pdf document for all to gain from. OC products may be very cost effective, but they come with little or no build instructions (particularly in English) which is a real shame as some builders might be put off by this lack of info. I learnt a lot from another site offering instructions but even this was lacking, so I hope to address this with my own style of instructions along with my take on backlighting.

Thanks again,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Fantastic Ken really nice work

Tim

75+ Posting Member

Great work Ken,
    I too am using OC and SIOC and agree that a bit more instructions would be helpful.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your instructions when you have them available.
    Merry Christmas to everyone.

Paul

They are beautiful Ken. You did a good job. If you like tham and they make your flying more enjoyable, that's what counts.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Boeing 777 Builder

Thanks John, my sentiment exactly. If they look decent and work well, they're good to go.

BTW. I've just completed a full tutorial on the assembly of the comm radio at my website http://www.kennair.com.au/avionics.html. I've also uploaded a pdf version to the download section here but it is still in the process of moderator authorisation.

Ken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast