500+ This must be a daytime job
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FSX, Gamespy, TCAS Traffic and Project Magenta PFD

Here is a new question for everyone. But first, this is not a thread to bash Gamespy or Microsoft, that's been done enough, so please leave that for another time...

Okay, I'm using PM and FSX, here lately I've seen some great improvements of the Host ATC's in Gamespy. Some of these guys are very professional and are making it really enjoyable. Thus, I've been doing more flying this way and it brings me to this question.

Is there a way for the PM PFD to see the other player's aircraft through Multiplayer Gamespy? I think there is two ways and one I believe no one really uses (albeit it works great). Anyone remember FSM Moving Map 1.2 (FSM) by RanaInside for FS9? Well, that will work with FSX and display the other multiplayers from Gamespy onto the maps and airport charts. I use it alot for taxiing, but it can be used for doing ATC.

I believe FSM relies on FSUIPC to pull the TCAS tables from FSX and then displays the other aircraft much like AI Aircraft. So, here is where PM is involved. Each time I fly online (Gamespy) I'll see only one aircraft in the PM PFD with TFC on. It will only be the Host Aircraft that gets displayed; although, there are 10 others all flying together from point a to b.

If PM is getting one aircraft indication, that means there is something going on and it should be possible to see the others like FSMoving Map is doing.

Finally, maybe someone knows, is doing this now, or maybe Peter Dowson can help me with this one since I think FSUIPC is the primer?

John

Quote Originally Posted by jkcombs View Post
    Is there a way for the PM PFD to see the other player's aircraft through Multiplayer Gamespy? ... maybe Peter Dowson can help me with this one since I think FSUIPC is the primer?
    For FS9, multiplayer traffic indications in FSUIPC were always done by the interfacing program feeding it -- Squawkbox3 or AIBridge. I've no idea what is used for GameSpy -- would AIBridge work with it or is that only for specific implementations?

Regards

Pete

AI Bridge

Peter,

I did think of AI Bridge and I believe it would work if I did a direct connection; I tried to do this here a little bit ago, but there are no sessions available in which I can join that have more then just me. It's the hour of the day I guess, but I will try AI Bridge later.

Otherwise, I can tell you that I do see only one aircraft in the ND (TCAS) in PM while on gamespy and it is only the Multiplayer (MP) host aircraft. Also, I read in another thread that you and other's discussed about a year ago or so about how the TCAS AI traffic does not appear after doing a MP session with the VA type session(s) (non-gamespy).

I saw the same as well after trying it last night. I did the MP session and then back to Free Flight (offline), but no FS AI traffic in TCAS, even though they're all around me. I even kicked the Traffic setting up to 100% and still no FS AI traffic in TCAS. It was after I restarted FSX and rebooted the PM GC PFD program on the client that the normal FS AI traffic was back in the TCAS of PM.

Finally, I mentioned the FSM Moving Map 1.2 by RanaInside. He is no longer in the FS Scene that I am aware of, but his program is able to pull the info from FSX quite well, even though he wrote it for FS9. Albeit, it does not show information for helicopters

Still, do you know anything about that program? He had FSUIPC as the primer and it would work with FSUIPC/WideFS as an internal on the same machine as FS or as a stand-alone using an external FSUIPC/WideFS on a client machine. It is the latter for me in the way I am using it...

Thanks again,

John