Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

hello to all my new frends

hi

lets introduce myself.

im a 45yo from edinburgh in scotland and was a gliding instructor until work got in the way about 5 years ago. I have over 2000hrs pilot in charge and held a gliding areobatic rating until that time. l aslo dabbled in flight sims with fs95 and fs98. but only on a desktop.

now after being given FSX and googling for information i found this wonderfull site and am planning a simpit to give me the imersive feeling of being back in a cockpit.
    after research i have settled on the skysim Bae hawk as my base aircraft as i wanted a small simple joystick controled trainer with an easy (relitivly speaking ) to interface panel.

i am in the middle of building my sim pc at the moment with an AMD 6000 dual core cpu nvidia 9500gt 1mb video card 2gb kingston 800ddr ram and a sata hard drive with a triple head to go atatched to 3 17" tft's for outside views
    and plan to network an older pc or two for my instrument panels using fsxpand software or something similar all running under vista64

i already have fsx and the hawk installed on my laptop just now to experiment with fsuipc and am sure i will be asking all sorts of stupid questions about offsets in the near future.

I would love to hare from other experienced builders in scotland who maybe able to act as a mentor of sorts.

also looking for anyone with views good or bad on using trackir with their sims

jaspar

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Welcome to the site. It sounds like you have things in good order.

Just holler if you need anything.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Quote Originally Posted by jaspar View Post
    hi

lets introduce myself.

im a 45yo from edinburgh in scotland and was a gliding instructor until work got in the way about 5 years ago. I have over 2000hrs pilot in charge and held a gliding areobatic rating until that time. l aslo dabbled in flight sims with fs95 and fs98. but only on a desktop.

now after being given FSX and googling for information i found this wonderfull site and am planning a simpit to give me the imersive feeling of being back in a cockpit.
    after research i have settled on the skysim Bae hawk as my base aircraft as i wanted a small simple joystick controled trainer with an easy (relitivly speaking ) to interface panel.

i am in the middle of building my sim pc at the moment with an AMD 6000 dual core cpu nvidia 9500gt 1mb video card 2gb kingston 800ddr ram and a sata hard drive with a triple head to go atatched to 3 17" tft's for outside views
    and plan to network an older pc or two for my instrument panels using fsxpand software or something similar all running under vista64

i already have fsx and the hawk installed on my laptop just now to experiment with fsuipc and am sure i will be asking all sorts of stupid questions about offsets in the near future.

I would love to hare from other experienced builders in scotland who maybe able to act as a mentor of sorts.

also looking for anyone with views good or bad on using trackir with their sims

jaspar

Welcome Jaspar.
    I use TripleHead2Go and TrackIr for my simulator. I love them both. TrackIR would be great when flying vfr and doing any GA flying low. It is especially good doing acrobatics and also when you are trying to line up for final when in the pattern. It is not as useful I find when doing instrument flying in larger planes like I fly (the Learjet) or in any of the Heavy iron probably but still fun to look around. If you are going to use the Virtual Cockpits in FSX it will be very useful also. One thing I did on mine was to program two buttons on my yoke for TrackIR. The first one enables or disables it. The second recenteres the viewpoint. This is almost required because sometimes your head position when you are relaxed might not match the view on center that you would like and you need to be able to quickly readjust the center. Second, if you have a cockpit like many of us then there are times (most of the time) when you dont want the tracking to be working. An example would be on final when you are trying to look down at your instruments and prep the plane for landing (gear, flaps, checklists,etc) and you dont want the outside view moving all over as you are trying to line up and stuff.

Anyway, hope that helps. TrackIR....highly recommended. There is a gentleman on this forum that has one for sale I believe. His screenname is Tomlin.

Good luck
    Scott

thanks xOrionFE for trackir information I never thought of that but is seems sensible now youve explained it

jaspar