Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

My $2 opinion.

My reluctance versus the upgrading rat race is threefold:

It is not a matter of putting a new disk in the computer and enjoying all the new goodies . It entails upgrading everything and starting back to square 2 or 3 for hardware, addons, interfacing, tweeking etc etc..( and spending the $ that go with it)

MS is a business and acts as a business, wether it is for MSFS, Windows, Vista and the never ending "better buy the new stuff" strategy.

Mike has a good approach because following that race means that our cockpit will never ever be finished and 100% flyable. I am a pilot like many of us, and FS9 allowed me to build my ultimate toy. But I want to play with it not spend the rest of my days rebuilding it again and again .
    JP
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

builder

I suspect for the same reason mountaineers are always looking for the next peak to climb. I guess it is just the way the folks on this web site are wired. However, my wife will tell ya'll that, in my case, it is more of a short circuit.

Regards,
    Alan.

builder

I decided to get out of the rat race, mainly because the rats are winning.

Im with Mike and Jack on this one. Fs9 works perfect and I would much rather continue spending $$ on upgrading the sim with better equipment than spending all that money on new system hardware to run fsx.Only now are we seeing the computer specs that can run fsx the way it was meant to be seen. I will eventually move to FSX when a system thats good enough to run it can be built for less than $400 much the same as you can for fs9 now so I will always be staying one version behind.

Gary

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

My system barely runs FS9 well and when I add in all my hardware... Well, its not pretty. Of course, I'm running an old machine also. Its the last machine I built before I quit the computer business back in 2003. I do have FSX on it but I have to run it with sliders in the middle and forget running my hardware with it.

I'm planning on a new machine in 2009, a couple of them actually. I'm looking at the new i7. I suspect it will run FSX without a hitch. But shortly after that I bet FSnext will be out. Just my luck.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dyer View Post
    I suspect for the same reason mountaineers are always looking for the next peak to climb. I guess it is just the way the folks on this web site are wired. However, my wife will tell ya'll that, in my case, it is more of a short circuit.

Regards,
    Alan.
    I would phrase it otherwise:
    The urge to adapt to whatever MS throws at us to make a $ could be compared with mountainers getting all their gear and base camp planning ready for peak A and being told, half way the climb, to shoot for higher peak B and rethink gear,planning and expectations....
    Never reach a summit but getting expert at trying to..!

No ?
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Really and truly, there are many reasons for running a version late. It never hurts to buy the newest version, but if you do, you should go ahead and get it in your mind that you may not be running it for your full size sim since we know the hardware usually lags behind the software.

Running the version that's running good on your machine gives you peace of mind, and youve likely got all the issues either sorted or learned! One thing that kills me about FSX is that although I love some of the enhancements there are still a thing or two that really look silly, namely the autogen. It's way too big and not scaled properly and that's what bugs me most.

Running the newest version is fun because you get to use or see the new features, but to me I'd rather get super smooth performance than have traffic on the interstates below, which is by the way one of the things that I absolutely love about FSX, especially taking off at Imagine Sim Charlotte NC and seeing all the traffic pass underneath as you climbout. That's awesome. However, it's just not butter smooth for me yet. That's when I will consider changing over for sure.

The other issue is that I love my add on scenery- there's so much more for FS9 (naturally) than for FSX. But I would have thought that by now it would have caught up, but that's not the case. There's a reason for that- performance.

Ive said it before and I will say it now- FSX is IMHO very much like FS2000- it brought outstanding new features to the sim but at a very big cost and Im hoping that FS11 is the same as FS2002- A savior of the software.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Really and truly, there are many reasons for running a version late. It never hurts to buy ........

My ....of approval.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

... OR or you could find freedom from upgrades by doing as I did, mothball your sim for a few months and see how you feel without it. I dismantled my sim about 2 months ago until I have more space available in about 2 years because I was tired of not having room for a shell and only room for one of the 3 projectors I bought.

So, I decided to put it away until I have the space for it with the thought that by the time I came back, there will be new working & bug free versions of everything and I will find Nirvana.

However, what I am discovering is that I don't miss the darn thing at all and if this feeling continues, I may decide to sell it and re-discover my sanity. Unfortunately though, this is just like smoking... all you need is one cigarette and you are back on a pack or more a day (as I have heard)). So as long as I stay away from airports and flight deck pictures, I may be able to stay off the wagon, or on the wagon (I never know what is the right expression

Freedom from simming feels really good right now anyway

Maurice

Hey.. so WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE ???????

THIS PROVES THAT

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG IN YOUR RATIONALE

Cheers Pal.
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast