Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Thumbs up BUO836X how do i connect slide pots e.t.a?

hello everybody.

I am an cockpit build amateur and i want some help in the following :
    I want to purchase this BUO836X encoder and i want to ask if i can connect 3 slide pots (throttles) ,rotary pots (avionics controls 6 ) and toggle switches 20 .
    and how do i connect each type .

Thank you
    Dimimiras

Quote Originally Posted by dimimiras View Post
    hello everybody.

I am an cockpit build amateur and i want some help in the following :
    I want to purchase this BUO836X encoder and i want to ask if i can connect 3 slide pots (throttles) ,rotary pots (avionics controls 6 ) and toggle switches 20 .
    and how do i connect each type .

Thank you
    Dimimiras

Welcome dimimiras! Your answers are Yes, yes, and almost yes. Here from his website:

Features

• Push-in terminals for all connectionsNo more soldering or screwdriving. Push in to connect. Press tab and pull out to disconnect.
    • 32 truly independent digital inputs for buttons and switchesNo matrix, no diodes, no daisy-chaining. And yes, each input has its own two terminals (GND can be shared between inputs if necessary.)
    • Support for up to 16 rotary encodersA pair of digital inputs can be connected to rotary encoder. All main types supported (1, 2 and 4 pulses per detent)
    • 8 analog inputs with true 12-bit resolution and independent wiring4096 steps of resolution. Even 1/4 of this range is still 1024 steps!
      To support true 12-bit performance each analog inputs has independent set of +5v and GND terminals, oversampling and sophisticated signal filtering
    • 8-direction POV hat switch
    • Compact outline of 123x52mm (4.85"x2.05")With 93 wire terminals onboard it is only 50% bigger than a credit card
    • Natively supported by Windows Vista/XP/2000/Me/98, Mac OS X and LinuxTrue Plug-and-play at its best.

The slide pots and rotary are both pots. Three and six equal nine. Thus the almost. You are limited to eight pots. However, you could use two BUO836Xs and get 16 analog inputs. Or, you maybe could try using an encoder for one or more of the axes. Say trims?

You can have up to 32 buttons and switches. They are connected in one of two ways. A negative and a positive from each switch or button are connected to the card. Or, you can connect one or more grounds (negatives) together and have only the positives going to individual connections.

Pots have three connections. Two sides and a ground. Encoders normally are two connections.

I hope this helps. Leo has diagrams on the connections on other parts of his site. We can help you with individual connections.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

10+ Posting Member

Jmig

Thank you for your reply and your help.
    One more question, do i connect toggle switches the same like momentary switches ?
    i am not good with diodes operation ,so i like to keep it simple.
    i see that toggle switches have three poles when momentary switches have two how can i connect the toggle switches ?

Thank you very much for your help

Dimimiras

Jmig

Thank you for your reply and your help.
    One more question, do i connect toggle switches the same like momentary switches ?
    i am not good with diodes operation ,so i like to keep it simple.
    i see that toggle switches have three poles when momentary switches have two how can i connect the toggle switches ?

Thank you very much for your help

Dimimiras
    Both toggle and momentary switches have two contacts. What you are referring to is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch. It is really two switches sharing a common ground, in the middle. If you flip it up, you activate one switch and another switch is activated when flipped downwards. So, the center pole goes to the ground and the top and bottom would go to two differing positive connections. A SPDT can be made into a single (on/off) switch by leaving one side disconnected.

I do not have a BUO836X. It is on order. However, I have a BUO836 and I use diodes for the matrix. According to Leo the BUO836X does not need diodes. Maybe they are built in to the board? However, soldering diodes is easy. We can help you with that. There are diagrams on the net showing the correct positioning. The BUO836X has labels on it to show connections.

One thing about cockpit building. Get ready to have your comfort zone stretched. You will find yourself attempting AND accomplishing things you never thought possible. A simple cards like the BUO836X and a few switches is a good way to get your feet wet.

One other thing. If you don’t already own a registered copy of Peter Dowson’s FSUIPC, get one. It will allow you to easily program those switches and pots to do flight sim functions.

Best to you,
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

150+ Forum Groupie

I notice from the forums on Leo's website that he has apparently not been giving support or replying to messages on his forums since June.

Please correct me if this is wrong as I was considering buying one of these cards until I saw those reports.

--
    Bryn

10+ Posting Member

Thumbs up

dear John

Thank you very much for your help .I do hope i will get it done .I just ordered the encoder and when i get it if i have any probelms i will contact you again.
    Best wishes
    Dimimiras

10+ Posting Member

dear JMIG

Today i received finally the controler BUO836X from leo and it looks great .I am geting to work now.One question is the controler capable of changing the repeat signal of a switch in to one keystroke per movement ? i have this switch which is for gear up - down .

I think this is my only concern for the time being .

Regards
    IMAG0013.jpg

I am really interested on how the rotaries on this work so please give feedback. I have tried the DA 2090 board with FSX without success. Basically the rotaries do not keep up with me when I turn too fast. From what I can tell this is the same as leos board design and uses the same applet to control pulse width, etc. The DA2090 is basically not useable for me and I am now contemplating buying Hagestrom Rotary 5 boards becuase I have a Hage 108 and the rotaries on it work fantastic. Other option would be GoFlight remote mount RP48 kit which only has 4 rotaries.

So Leos would be the best and cheapest route asside from 2090 but if it cant keep up with turns of rotary like the DA2090 it is not a good choice.

Please let me know your results.

Thank you,
    Scott

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

dear JMIG

Today i received finally the controler BUO836X from leo and it looks great .I am geting to work now.One question is the controler capable of changing the repeat signal of a switch in to one keystroke per movement ? i have this switch which is for gear up - down .

I think this is my only concern for the time being .

Regards
    IMAG0013.jpg

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. You shouldn't need a repeating keystroke for the 'g' key for the gear up/down command. Using the same switch, a SPDT, you will want to make sure it is a 'break-before-make' type switch. In other words, when you throw (or when the gear lever throws) the switch, the first contact is opened before the second contact is closed.

Mine uses separate snap action type lever switches contacted by a cam with an interval between movements so I don't have the BBM concerns.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!