Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Looks like you are right Andy. No GPU.

Here is from there sight how it works. I do remember reading that it does not cause a performance impact however and my own system experience supports this. I think the key when reading this is it says it does not add anything to the output signal but rather converts it. This would suggest that it makes no difference to the computer or graphics processor.

---------------------------------------
    How it Works—A Look Inside the Box
    The "magic" of making one display into three happens inside the TripleHead2Go box. The TripleHead2Go takes advantage of the existing graphics processor unit (GPU) within your computer.

Your system GPU renders an ultra-wide image into its frame buffer.
    TripleHead2Go uses Matrox patent-pending technology to divide the display information into three display outputs.
    These signals are then passed through the three monitor connectors (either standard digital (DVI) or analog (VGA), depending on the version of the product) and to the TripleHead2Go box.
    No pixels are added, dropped, scaled, or otherwise changed in this process. TripleHead2Go "magic" preserves all the on-screen information provided by the original monitor signal.
    In TripleHead2Go Digital Edition, when an analog input is used, the monitor signal from the computer is first converted to digital data using various techniques to ensure the best possible conversion. These techniques include gain compensation to normalize the signal and phase adjustment to properly interpret either the dual-link input signal or the analog input signal. With the dual-link digital input this conversation is not necessary as you are already in a digital domain.

2. Thanks fweinrebe thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Right. So the key here is that your graphics card does all the work. If you have an ancient video card (which I do) the TH2Go is going to stress it out.

That means, its time for me to get a new video card.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Boeing 777 Builder

I know when I first got my analogue TH2GO I did some testing to compare the performance between the TH2GO running 3 screens or using 3 outputs on 2 video cards. There was noticeably less hit when using the TH2GO to run the 3 screens. Don't know why but it does, and this was on a 6600 AGP nvidia card plus a 6200 PCI.

I now run the same TH2GO off a 8800GT card in a new Quad core system along with a second 8500GT. The TH2GO runs 3 x 22" LCD's off the 8800 and the 8500 runs 2 x 17" LCD's for instruments. In FSX at heavy airports I get mid to high teens on the ground and quickly raising to 25's on takeoff. No stuttering and only slight blurries.

I agree with Andy to lock frame rates (mine is set to 25), big frame rates mean nothing really as there's tons of other stuff that FS has to generate such as smooth texture and scenery loads. Stuttering and blurries are one of the first signs of struggling CPU power (along with memory amount and timings etc. etc. etc.) and this is often tied to too high frame rate settings. Not saying that this is so in your case, but experiment till your happy.

My latest revelation is to run FS in Full Screen mode as I've scratched out an extra 5 or so frames by doing this instead of windowed. Also a good tip I got from Trevor (Hale), run your TH2GO off your powerful video card and all others off the second.

Cheers,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

5. Thanks fweinrebe thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Where did you get that information? I never heard that. Does it apply to the analog version as well? Do you have the digital version?
    The TH2G is nothing more than a video splitter. Don't let anyone confuse you about it having a GPU in it. It does have a chip in the TH2G, but it's limited to splitting a single set of video data into 3 subsets. That chip processing the data isn't going to offset ANY limitations that initially occur in the rendering video card. It'll only be as detailed and as fast as it is when the signal enters the TH2G. No magic in the TH2G is going to speed up anything.

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    The TH2G is nothing more than a video splitter.
    Additionally it probably emulates a high resolution monitor as well. So that you computer sees it as such.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

The TH2G is nothing more than a video splitter. Don't let anyone confuse you about it having a GPU in it. It does have a chip in the TH2G, but it's limited to splitting a single set of video data into 3 subsets. That chip processing the data isn't going to offset ANY limitations that initially occur in the rendering video card. It'll only be as detailed and as fast as it is when the signal enters the TH2G. No magic in the TH2G is going to speed up anything.
    I dont think I ever said it will speed anything up but I did say that I dont think it will slow anything down as originally stated by Andy. I also said I was mistaken about the GPU. Where did you get your info from on how it works? Did you take one apart?

I've used one for years. If you're interested in technical info: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com....php/Main_Page

I've used one for years. If you're interested in technical info: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com....php/Main_Page
    Thanks,

That is a good site. It goes into some good explainations and the particularly valid one is about the surround gaming impact on performance. It does say that increasing Aspect Ratio causes a pretty big drop in performance but it also says that if your video card can handle it then using the TH2GO does not show any increased impact on performance. So the key is making sure your video card can handle the FOV you choose and really has nothing to do with the TH2GO.

So the way I read this then is that the TH2GO is not a performance killer at all. It is the use of a larger FOV and Aspect Ration on the host video card that impacts performance.

Good articles

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XOrionFE View Post
    I didnt have the same experience as Andy as I have the TripleHead2Go and it didnt slow mine down a bit.
    I have to agree, the TripleHead2Go Made no Frame Rate hit on my machine either.

Trev

IMHO, like everything else with the TH2G milage may vary depending upon what game you use. Games aren't designed with those odd aspect ratios in mind so some 3d engines can act wierd. I've not had any real issues that are game stopping in the games I play though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast