Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Heli Builder
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    I find that CNC and simpits are complimentary hobbies. It's just another tool to be used in further refining your simpit. It really depends upon how you approach simpit building though.
    I agree fully. I am actually puting my sim on hold to build the CNC. But then again I am actually "working" on the sim because when it is done, the CNC will manufacture some higher quality parts for the sim.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

150+ Forum Groupie

See also this thread and the thumbnail pictures I've attached there.
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...7805#post67805
    The aliasing effect is caused by the low resolution of the photo, not by the mill
    Hessel
    767 Level-D

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Is there any freeware for windows?
    I saw Mach 3 and I think it has a G-Code converter built into it.
    I have Fireworks and Google Sketchup. Can I use them to create the models?
    With Google SketchUp Pro you can export to DXF. But SketchUp Pro is not free.

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Here are some parts for my router table build. The x/y linear stages are 45" Thomson rails and the linear guide for the z is 24" Thomson rails. I still need to get the leadscrew purchased and machine the motor mounts on the z axis. I have a few Geckodrives and the electorincs needed. Just need to find a power supply to run it all. I've not done research on that yet. Also a few Oriental Motors steppers to drive it all. I'll probably just build the table frame out of 80/20 surplus. Tentatively I'd like to be cutting chips over Christmas holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    I find that CNC and simpits are complimentary hobbies. It's just another tool to be used in further refining your simpit. It really depends upon how you approach simpit building though. Someone people are happy to just put things together once and it's how it is. In that situation it makes more sense to just have someone cut the parts for you. If you're constantly refining things and find that fun though, it would justify a CNC machine. In order to do it right though you will have to drop $1500-2500 on a CNC machine plan/kit and parts. That's a lot better than dropping $7,000 - $15,000 on a turn-key CNC solution though. If you want a router table that'll do all the big shell parts look at the MechMate (free plans) and ShopBot (Turn-key). If you want to cut smaller metal parts for gauges/insturments and electorics boards get a X2 mini mill and CNC retorfit it or get the Seig X2 (turn-key) CNC. There are also cheap mini lathes that'll do your turning work from Harbor Frieght. I don't suggest CNC kit for that. I'd just manually turn the parts on it.

Router Table: MechMate or ShopBot
    Mini Mill: Harbor Frieght X2 or Seig X2

Actually, 3-axis mills can cut 5-axis parts just fine. Since time is not much of a $$$$'s factor in hobby CNC I suggest the person merely reorientate the part in the vise or tooling to be cut in 3-axis. No need to drop a bunch more money on a 4th and 5th axis for your CNC when you can just remount the part your machining in the orientation needed to get it cut in that 4th and 5th axis with the 3 axis setup. Only thing it'll cost you is zeroing in the part X,Y,Z 0 in the new orientation and another seperate G-code for the new cuts. At work we only have 2 4-axis machines, so I am used to doing multiple programs for a part so it could merely be done on a 3 axis with proper tooling. The 4-axis machiens are only used on runs that have time constraints for shipment + are complex parts. You can do 5-axis work just fine on a 3-axis, it just requires the machinist to remount the part in the vise/tooling several times.
    I think that you misunderstood me.

What I wanted to tell is that if you don't have the right aknoledge building a CNC might be really time consuming, expensive and frustrating sometimes.
    Having a CNC instead is indeed complementary to the simulation and cockpit building, and it's not a "if you buy a CNC machine done, why not buy the panels already made...". It's not the same. I don't think you build yourself the motor of your car because you need a car to go to work, but you learn to drive it and experience let you feel confident with it. The same way learning to use a CNC is something that needs it's time, it's a lot ot trials and errors, but it is for sure enjoyable just as you get your first results.

About the extra axis, I agree that you can rotate the piece etcetera, this is exactly what I do to simulate a 4 or 5 axis on my 3 machine. And you can watch on my blog many results of. But telling it to a person that never used such a machine, that he can just zeroing, turn the piece and go, is reductive. Morover this operation has to be done carefully and it's just for expert people I think, that learned the way to divide the various parts paths the right way, center the new piece side at centesimal precision, carefully choice the piece lockings etc. Machining basics to learn are quite more elementary then the advanced technics you have proposed.

Thus said, anyone with our passion, will benefit a lot from having a CNC at home, and if you can buy it already made for 1500-2000$ as I did is even better, because you'll spend your time in making parts instead of making the machine that will make the parts.

Just my 2c

My interest in building a cnc is much the same as the simpit building. I think I'd lose something in the process by going turn-key solution for a cnc router. I want to know the inner workings of the machine. I like to tinker with things, so it makes sense to me to build a custom cnc machine. It also helps I had half of my current parts donated to me as used unwanted parts. I might have changed my cnc plans a bit if the x/y linear stages weren't free. Besides, if I really want to cut chips now I just ask my boss for access to an idle VMC at work off the clock.

Heli Builder

As with simpit building you get 2 types of builders (And combinations in between). One that buys most of the panels and parts from a vendor and assembles it and another type of builder that builds his own parts for the fun of building. It is the same with a CNC machine. Some people like to build one, while others like to buy one.

That said I think it is up to the individual to decide which route he/she is going. Both routes has their pro's and con's.

I rather pay $700-00 for parts and build the CNC than pay $1500-$2000 to buy a turnkey CNC. Because I love building the machine myself.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

I want to save as much money as possible, but at the same time, I don't want to spend a log time building it either. I guess I'm looking more for something I can assemble that will save me money and time both.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    I guess I'm looking more for something I can assemble that will save me money and time both.
    If there was such a thing I would have already bought it. It's much the same situation in CNC as in simpit building. The information and kits are out there but most are obscure or more expensive than you'd expect. There are cheap ones out there but the table is either too small or the kit is made out of MDF or some other inaccurate materials. The problem is getting something to cut the size you need and accurate on anything from plywood to aluminium. Noone has a kit that is price pointed cheap in that targeted kit. Most of the cheap designs are really just designs. They're sold as plans and never have the cut materials with them. I humored for awhile releasing a kit that might target those needs, but the reality is I've not even finished collecting parts on my build yet, let alone be able to prototype the build and work out bugs on my own build yet. That really precludes me doing anything about such a kit. Once I have my table up and running I might revisit that idea though. My idea of a quality CNC build is one that is large enough and accurate enough to reproduce itself in kit form.

Well,

I think the guys over at LumenLab (http://lumenlab.com/) have a fine offering with either their MicRO or the RoBLOKS RoGR. Good value for money and quality build. Have a read through their forums and don't miss the videos to find out more.

Regards,
    Gerhard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast