Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Small accomplishments...

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a BU0836X from Leo Bodnar, that same day I bought a copy of "Electronics for Dummies" and tonight I soldered up my first switch and watched it raise and lower the landing gear in Fs9 a couple of dozen times. I'm right pleased with myself and am now really looking forward to putting this to work in my cockpit. Initially I was going to build a simple switch box but after seeing the possiblities I'm starting to think bigger.

This is the box I was initially going to wire up...

I have one question regarding the soldering of the switches. The SPST momentary switches I bought have a very small hole in the lead so I can't thread the 22 guage wire I am using through the hole. I placed the wire along side the lead, soldered it and then used shrink tubing on top. Is this an acceptable method for wiring this switch (it did work) and if not, what's a better way?

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Shawn,

That method of soldering is absolutely acceptable. As long as you get the switch lug hot enough to melt solder on to it with a good amount of flux (contained within the prefluxed resin-core solder), then a good solid connection of the wire, you should be good to go. In fact there's really no need to add the shrink tubing, although it will provide protection against any possible short.

Getting the the metal hot enough to get a good solder flow is the most important otherwise you end up with a dry joint. This can affect your electrical connection even if you manage to thread the wire through the hole.

EDIT: Nice switchbox by the way

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Thanks Ken, good to hear. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good connection between the wire and the lug, the solder is shiny silver when I'm done which I understand is a good thing. Soldering is actually good fun who would have guessed that? My years of tying flies is coming in handy with this type of delicate work.

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

soldering

hi shawn.......
    reading your post took me back i can tell you. i remember being in the exact same situation you are now. it's so satisfying when you throw a switch and something happens, especially when what you expect to happen actually does )).
    ken is absolutely right with what he has advised. and incidentally you are connecting
    in the exact same manner that i do (all my connections are protected by shrink wrap).
    in addition, with delicate switches like the one's you describe, i always like to rub the contacts with some very fine abrasive paper to expose the copper before 'tinning'. i have found that if you don't do this, you may have to add excessive heat to get the solder to flow. this heat tends to travel up into the switch and soften the plastic housing of the switch making them stick.
    you your soldering iron and the BU0836X are going to have a lot of fun.
    good luck and keep us posted....
    regards from wales.... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

Boeing 777 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Soldering is actually good fun who would have guessed that? My years of tying flies is coming in handy with this type of delicate work.
    Careful Shawn, sounds like that those flux fumes may be getting to you . Good point from Ian too, you'll get maximum adhesion when you clean your contacts. This can be done with sanpaper or steel wool or you can use a contact cleaning solution. Originally (and still for some like me!) this was hydrochloric acid but it's a bit dangerous and the fumes should definitely be avoided.

Enjoy,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Ah the smell of flux in the morning
    Years ago (early 70's) I built a number of small electronic projects from kits by Graymark. Here are a couple of pics of the AM radio I built. It's the only survivor of time. It still works but finding tubes to replace any that burn out will be a bear.

Regards
    Brian

Cool radio Brian, I was thinking about buying a radio kit to gain some practical experience in electronics. What I have learned so far has been very interesting and I could see myself spending a fair bit of time messing around with my new breadboard.

Ken, this is the type of fly I was talking about...

These guys are way to quick to bother with...

Nice fly! I was reading an article in an old fishing mag from 1952 about tying flys. The author claims his best results were obtained by making the fly imitate but not copy the original.
    I've used my soldering skills on my sim a little bit. Most of my sim is GoFlight mods, but I did tear apart the gear and trim mod to remount the parts and that required a bit of electrical work.

Regards,
    Brian