Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by stabell View Post
    Hi there, captain!
    The reason for doing this test, was to try to narrow down the problems I have with WV.
    I thought that if going to Slew mode means that the plane is not standing still, I thought that this would "compete" with WV's update on position.
    And I found that in the Control section, Joystick, there is also a slew department, and there were several settings assigned (by default?),
    like moving the mouse puts the plane forward, etc.
    But by taking away all these, the plane, both server and client, is standing still in slew mode.

But this did not solve the WV problems, I'm affraid, so now I am onto the network settings again.

So now I am hoping to read something like "before I had stutter problems with WV, but that was solved when I did this...

XOrion: I will tke a look at the network settings, that might be the problem.
    Sounds like you know a lot about network!
    Thank you all for help!

Yes, I have been a network engineer for 17 years and run a large network consulting practice in Northern Illlinois. My specialties are in Network Security and Wide Area connectivety. We are the largest Sonicwall Gold Partner in Chicago as well as in the top 1% of all Microsoft Business Solutions partners Worldwide. I am the partner in charge of Infrastructure Services
    -Scott (aka XOrionFE)

25+ Posting Member

Holy Macaroni, it sounds like you knw something about packets and things!
    One question to you then: When I connect two computers directly with a crossover cable, to rule out network weaknesses on my existing network,
    do I then tick "receive IP address automatically, and so on?
    If a computer is connected to a router, it is given IP address, or I can choose one in its range. But what about direct connection? (XP)?

Under a direct connection if you do not assign an IP address but leave it set to obtain one automatically from DHCP the computer will lease a special reserved address from a range of addresses Microsoft owns and set aside for this in the 169.x.y.z range. This is by design to allow computers to communicate peer to peer on a network without a DHCP server (DHCP servers are servers that assign IP addresses to hosts on a network).

Problem is that these addresses will not be known to each peer so you have to look at what gets assigned and then use that address to communicate and it can change from boot to boot.

You are better off assigning addresses. You should use an RFC specified "non-routable" address. To make it easy on you let me suggest you manually assign the first computer 192.168.100.1. Assign the second 192.168.100.2, the third 192.168.100.3, and so on.

Make your internet router or firewall 192.168.100.254. Then make the default gateway on your computers 192.168.100.254 to match the router. Make the Network Mask on every host 255.255.255.0.

This will get you running fine. Also if you want to browse for resources (file sharing) between computers you need to ensure you have "Client for Microsoft Networks" running if Windows XP and "File and Printer Sharing" turned on, and share some folders. Make the workgroup name the same on all computers as well or leave as the default "workgroup"

Hope that helps

25+ Posting Member

Hi again!
    You are talking about the router, but if I connect only the two computers together with a crossover cable, which settings are right?
    Shall I call the first one 192.168.100.2 and the next one 192.168.100.3 for example? Subnet mask? Gateway?

500+ This must be a daytime job

For computer 1, specify the IP as 192.168.0.2, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, Default gateway as 192.168.0.1.
    For computer 2, specify the IP as 192.168.0.1, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, Default gateway as 192.168.0.2.

In more detail:
    http://jamus.dannz.net.nz/technology/technology.htm

You can use the numbering scheme I gave you or the one EFE suggests. If it is just the two computers then you do not need to enter a default gateway as Efe suggest. The default gateway is meant to point to a router as a means of reaching other subnets such as going out to the internet. If you dont have a connection to the internet via a router then the default gateway is meaningless. In any case, the default gateway typically would be set to the same router on all computers (thus the same default gateway for every host on a subnet). It does not need to be set to the other computer's address as Efe suggests. That said, you can do what Efe says as it will not harm anything either.

25+ Posting Member

I see.
    Before I switch to using crossover cable,
    I put full duplex, force 100MB's on both cards. (still connected to a router).
    It did not help, but there was several other settings there, like "buffer sizes" and "optimize for CPU",
    do you think that there might be something there?
    It would truly be interresting to know what is actually being sent from the server, and what is actually being received on the client side.
    Still stuttering.
    I am going to try the crossover thing, then.

Hi Stabell,

I think you are about to take off in the wrong direction. IMHO there shouldn't be any need to use cross-over cables. Switches, hub, routers or whatever you use to build your network should be working just fine. I don't think you will find many simmers who are using cross-over cables or even worse changed the settings on their networking protocols. With todays technology there should be no problem whatsoever to cater for the WV traffic.

In your last post you indicated you are looking at all sorts of add'l params on the networking side of things and maybe considering changing them.
    If you have not made any changes to these params before, i.e. they are still set to the defaults I would STRONGLY like to suggest: Don't touch them!!!
    In particular when you don't know what the effect will be you are about to open a can of worms.

I'd also like to repeat some of my previous questions:

1. If you have your 2 PCs connected to your network while FS and WV are
    not running, do you see any network traffic, i.e. blinking LEDs on the
    switch?
    2. Have you been able to stabelize your aircraft on both the server and the
    client side?
    3. Have you tried to re-install WV and use the correct sequence to start it
    and what happens after that?

I am very curious to read your answers!

Kind regards,

Martin

I agree with Martin

You shouldnt need to adjust any of those settings. The crossover moreover is only necessary if you want to directly connect two hosts together without a hub or a switch. The only thing I could see slowing you down on the network itself woudl be a duplex mismatch as this would allow for connectivity but be severly impacting performance.

My guess is that your problem lies elsewhere otherwise. Like Martin said, dont start changing the other network card settings.

25+ Posting Member

Hi!
    I will not go into the advanced network settings, I understand now that those are not the problem.
    I have the two computers connected to a router, not a switch.
    And there is a lot of activity on it, while FSX is running, but WV is not.
    FSX is communicating with something all the time.
    But when FSX is not running on the computers, it is no activity on the blinking LEDS.
    I have un- and reinstalled WideView on both computers.
    Both the server and the client seems stabilized, I think.
    Starting the server first.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast