10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Unhappy Student Blues...

Hi there all. Im new to the forum. But I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys.

Currently I am in the planning stage of my quest to built a flight sim cockpit. So far I've put things on a really small scale as I am a student and can't spend a lot of money.

At the moment I'm interested in the prospect of having multiple display setup that i see most people do. I does seem to add lot of realism to the game. However I do need to know a few things about it.

1. Most if not all multiple display setup i've seen uses a networked computer. Is this a must for multiple display setup? Could I get away with using a single computer and using TH2Go?

2. Do i need additional payware to get the basic 3 screen for outside view and 1 panel on main computer screen?

3. When using this setup up, is there a significant performance change? Or is it barely noticable?

Hope you guys can help me out

______
    Faiz

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Faiz, I'll try to answer your questions in respect to my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ziaf View Post
    1. Most if not all multiple display setup i've seen uses a networked computer. Is this a must for multiple display setup? Could I get away with using a single computer and using TH2Go?

A. You certainly don't need network PC's in order to have multiple displays. I have 5 displays running off the one PC in FSX and get acceptable frame rates. A Triple Head 2 Go provides my outside view on 3 monitors and two more 17" LCD's provide the PFD and EICAS screens. No worries! I have two PCIE video cards installed in a Quad core machine to achieve this.

2. Do i need additional payware to get the basic 3 screen for outside view and 1 panel on main computer screen?

A. See above for the answer to this one. Just shell out for the TH2GO.

3. When using this setup up, is there a significant performance change? Or is it barely noticable?

A. Yes there is a significant performance change when adding additional monitors. With my system I get mid teens to single figures when at dense airports, and my frames are locked at 25, which I achieve after takeoff (mostly). However, recently I have been testing network panels such as PM and find that frames increase by approx. 7 with each panel I switch off. i.e. If getting 12 FPS with two panel screens running on FS PC, when I shut them both off and run the network PM screens, my frame rates increase by 14! And the network gauges are smooth as. Now that's significant.

Hope you guys can help me out

______
    Faiz
    Hope that helps,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

3. Thanks ziaf thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Question

Thanx Ken for that speedy reply..

With regards to

Question 1, How many additional monitors would you recommend I should start off with to get a good sense of vision?

Question 3, does the additional computer require high end specs or could I possibly use a low end? Additionally, do I need additional software to make gauges appear on the network computer. If I do, would there be any that are freeware? I've got to stay away from payware as atm I'm relying on my parents credit card if I were to purchase payware licenses -and they aren't keen on using their credit card online either.

Boeing 777 Builder

No problem Ziaf,

If you get a TH2GO you'll need 3 monitors. Add another 19" or 22" LCD for instrument panel views and you've got a total of 4. With a good mid-range PC you'll get acceptable performance with FSX. Obviously if you decide to run FS9, anything today will run it beautifully.

If you decide to run panels via a network PC, you don't need anything fantastic. I've been testing with a 2.6G AMD and gauges run very smooth. HOWEVER (and there's always a however!) addon panel software will cost you money. PM will set you back $700USD for the Boeing suite but there are other such as FSXpand, Ellie Avionics and Flight Deck Software, that are less expensive. They all offer demo versions so I suggest giving them a try if your interested.

Ken
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

10+ Posting Member

Thanx Ken..

Hmm I think the add on panels would be to expensive at the state that I am in right now..What about the standard/default FSX panels? What are the difference between the standard panels and the ones offer by FSXpand, Ellie, Flight Deck and PM?

However the TH2GO route does seem appropriate for me. Thanks for the input Ken.

____
    Faiz

Boeing 777 Builder

The only difference the addon panels from the above companies offer is the ability to run on networked PC's, thereby reducing the performance load on the main FS PC. Using the default FSX panels won't allow you to do that, you have to run them on a monitor connected to the main PC. This of course adds to the CPU workload drawing the instruments on many monitors. To get around this you need a very fast CPU and lots of RAM.

I can recommend the TH2GO as it seems to run with less resource drain than if you were to just connect 3 monitors to multiple video cards on your PC. Even so, if money is an issue then you could simply use one 22"LCD for outside view and one smaller 17"LCD for instruments. That'll get you going while you develop and build your other hardware such as Yokes and Rudder Pedals. Then later save for the TH2GO.

Ken.

75+ Posting Member

Hi Faiz,

Just read your PM mesage to me and I understand your predicament in getting starting up in this flight simming world. But as Ken says, there are other ways to get what you need without having to have too many PC's networked or purcased. I myself have 6 computers running networked for all my software that I have for Project Magenta ( PM ) However, this Dec, I shall be purchasing a high end PC with 2 medium to high end Graphics cards so that the one PC will do the job of my current 4 PC's that run my Project Magenta programs. As Ken says , the PM software can set you back US700 so that is pretty steep. As an alternative, have a look at the following website from Ian Sissons : http://www.737ng.co.uk/
    Ian's site has plenty of information as to how to make your own B737 sim and some very useful tips in building various cockpit setups. Have a look.!

As I mentioned in my PM , you are more then welcome to look me up when you are back in Malaysia and I can talk to you about this simming world that you are getting into. Lots of fun building !

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Danker
    Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

hi chris.....and ziaf

cant believe we were both in lelystad and i missed you !
    for ziaf.... i'm using 3 machines, one for my main sim view and instruments and the other two thru wideview to give me a full 180 degree field of view. you don't need an 'up there' machine to give you the side views. but i have two monitors attached to each machine for front left and left and front right and right view so for that you have to have quite a powerful video card. if you want any further info, just PM me.
    regards chaps .... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

10+ Posting Member

Thumbs up Thank you all

Thanx all for the reply. Your input surely help me better understand about building a flight sim cockpit. Based on what you guys have said I'll probably opt for Ken's suggestion to use two Monitors for the time being and built up money (and panels) before getting a TH2GO. However all this are still in its planning process. And plans could change over time

To chris: Thanx for the offer. I have replied a PM to you. Would be awesome to have a chat or two with you

Well I guess for now I'll have to start saving up before I start building

Many thanx to all for your reply.

P/s: do you guys use any add on traffic or do you guys just opt to go online instead and view the world with other people?
    _____
    Faiz