Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boeing 777 Builder

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Oh, Oh! The 737's creeping in!

I don't know what came over me, but with the enthusiasm generated by Worldflight 2008 I have gone and purchased, would you believe, a 737 MCP and a Boeing avionics kit for my PC12NG! I've seen what's happened to a number of members here going over to the 737 side so I'm not sure where this will lead.

Anyway they are a bargain from Opencockpit, although the radios will need to be assembled. The MCP is completely plug & play however (apart from the SIOC file of course). I'm hoping I can configure this for use in most sophisticated aircraft, most importantly the PC12.

Below are some pics of how I hope the avionics will end up. I'll keep you posted as to the assembly.

Cheers,

Ken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

500+ This must be a daytime job

Hahaha... welcome to the club!

I think another reason the avionics came in so cheap is because Opencockpits is about to bring out a new one they were displaying at the Lelystad show. It hadn't even been priced for sale yet and they say it will be a few weeks before its up for sale.

Boeing 777 Builder

Gee thanks Efe, so I've purchased out-dated stock!

I wonder then if the new hardware will have backlighting pre-installed? Part of the other reason for low cost on all these units from OC is the fact that they're not backlit, however they are ready to be backlit. I have purchased a pile of high bright LED's to have a go at the job myself, however I've also been investigating EL wire. I'd really like to see Joe Cygan's backlighting tutorial when he's done it.

More work for me but hey, why are we in this hobby anyway?

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Yes if I remember correctly it will be plug and play and backlit. But I personally like the whole buy the panel and put it together approach and the OC avionics were right up at the top of my list before I had to put a temporary hold on the project as a whole.

I looked into EL wire a while back and the pros didn't seem to be worth all the cons. I also asked around about it at Lelystad and didn't get too much positive response about it from various builders.

Boeing 777 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Efe Cem Elci View Post
    I looked into EL wire a while back and the pros didn't seem to be worth all the cons. I also asked around about it at Lelystad and didn't get too much positive response about it from various builders.
    Yes I wondered about the logistics of winding the wire around all the labeling under the panel in order to adequately cover it. However I found some cheap EL wire on ebay (from the US) that I might try for the cost of $60.

Ken.

Well, keep us updated on how it goes. If it works and seems feasible financially vs. pratically, maybe more people will do it that way.

Boeing 777 Builder

Will do Efe,

I'm thinking that I will document the full build for the avionics and the backlighting. I've searched high and low for concise tutorials and information on this but haven't been totally satisfied so perhaps it's my task to put it all down on paper. I'll let you know how I go, but you might find a pdf in the download section in the coming months. When you consider that each radio for example, in a kit form will set you back about 80 Euros, it's a BIG incentive!

Ken.

Ken,

I hve a very satisfactory result using bright LEDs mounted on a clear perspex backer behind the Glare panels - drill holes to mount the LED where you want it, and more holes to allow cabling from switches etc to pass through - you can get a close fit, and make a lighting panel on the bench, then fit in place.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

9. Thanks Kennair thanked for this post
    Boeing 777 Builder

Thanks Paul, that sounds like a simple approach. I'll give it a go when they arrive.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Gee thanks Efe, so I've purchased out-dated stock!

I wonder then if the new hardware will have backlighting pre-installed? Part of the other reason for low cost on all these units from OC is the fact that they're not backlit, however they are ready to be backlit. I have purchased a pile of high bright LED's to have a go at the job myself, however I've also been investigating EL wire. I'd really like to see Joe Cygan's backlighting tutorial when he's done it.

More work for me but hey, why are we in this hobby anyway?

Ken.
    I also had the MCP from OC, back lighting it is going to be a pain to be honest. I took the whole unit apart and didn't really see an easy way to do it with out alot of hassle involved. On the other side of things, I think using the EL wire is the best route to go. I used it and it worked perfect. I used a glue gun to attach the EL in the right places and it worked out a charm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast