Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boeing 777 Builder

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    I also had the MCP from OC, back lighting it is going to be a pain to be honest. I took the whole unit apart and didn't really see an easy way to do it with out alot of hassle involved. On the other side of things, I think using the EL wire is the best route to go. I used it and it worked perfect. I used a glue gun to attach the EL in the right places and it worked out a charm.
    Thanks Padraig,

That's very encouraging. Any tips on type and size of EL wire? The ones on ebay are 3.2mm White and come in 3m length, complete with power supply, they cost around $60AUD delivered. This looked like an easy way to sneak backlighting into a tight space as you've proved.

Any chance of a photo of your work?

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

500+ This must be a daytime job

EL Wire

Padraig

Your post about EL wire on the Opencockpits MCP was interesting. I tried Hong Kong EL wire but it was no good - too dim. I have tried a smal scale EL panel with colour filters which nearly works ok! Having spoken to the supplier, they reckon that using 15 volts instead of 12v plus a larger capacity inverter will do the job and give me an increase in light output of circa 75% which should be ok - there would be a reduction in life (measured in 1000`s of hours!). I will post the results.

What EL wire supplier did you use?

Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Thanks Padraig,

That's very encouraging. Any tips on type and size of EL wire? The ones on ebay are 3.2mm White and come in 3m length, complete with power supply, they cost around $60AUD delivered. This looked like an easy way to sneak backlighting into a tight space as you've proved.

Any chance of a photo of your work?

Ken.
    I didnt get mine from Ebay, but a, computer parts supplier in the UK. To be honest, I had the MCP for only a couple of weeks, I just wanted to get it to try it out and see what it was like etc with this SIOC application. The power supply was mains based and I think it worked on 12v +, (not sure) it was bright enough to see in the dark, and plus if you are going to cram in 3 meters then it would be a mega amount of light, but you also have the option to just snip it to what ever size you wish and resolder the ends together without any hassels. EL wire isnt anything that special.

When you are messing around with it, I would make sure you handle it with care as it does have a tendancy to loose its light output if you apply to much pressure in a certain place, (KinK the wire) but just in the kinked place only !

Another thing to note about the EL wire, I have used it for other applications other than backlighting and cockpits etc, that it does loose its luminins faster than say the light output of LEDS.

I am sorry but the MCP was sold and I do not actually have pictures of it with the EL wire mounted and in use.

The MCP version I had was the one without the box

Boeing 777 Builder

Thanks Padraig,

I've bought the same MCP and will assess the backlight issue once it arrives. I already have a bag of 5mm bright white LED's so I'll try PaulEMB's method first.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12