Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cool 12v regulated switching power supply

Hello people..

I have another innocent and probably very stupid question, nevertheless im planning on overcomming the "im so ignorant" phase the sooner i can..anyway..

Power supplies...oh yes... the usuall problem..where to get the juice. I investigate a bit on the forum and then i went to ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350113942670

seems like a good way to have different Voltages connected to the same power supply whithout having 459 transformers connected to the wall.. fair enough.. and now my question.

i can see a L / N (ac), something that looks like ground, 2 COM, 2+V and one +VADJ ....confusing.......can anyone explain me a bit what those terminals stand for?.. and the other quesiton is... how many different chains may i connect to one single terminal?...for example...i have 4 backlighted panels and each one of them has its own chain of leds independent from the other one, can i connect all of them to one positive and one negative terminal?..or do i need 4?....i was hopping i could solve an entire cockpit with just a couple of those units..is it possible?

Hopefully i was able to make myself understandable..again, i am sorry about all those ignorant questions, but... we all have to pass that stage...

thanks in advanced!..

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Check this out instead.
    http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...owerSupply.htm
    You can get used PSU's cheap or free at computer recycle centers or even just driving down the road on trash day.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

3. Thanks Rodney thanked for this post

I am using an ATX power supply recycled from a very old PC thrown away by my helpdesk. It is a very easy version compared to what AndyT posted upon but the idea is basically the same.

As far as I know this kind of power supply produces a vary stable current as needed by PC and our electronics.

75+ Posting Member

I am using a computer power supply modified from the same site shown by Andy. It has been running without issues for over five years. I used a 145 watt PS and it supplies all 12v and 5v power I need.

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by NNomad007 View Post
    i can see a L / N (ac), something that looks like ground, 2 COM, 2+V and one +VADJ ....confusing.......can anyone explain me a bit what those terminals stand for?.. and the other quesiton is... how many different chains may i connect to one single terminal?...for example...i have 4 backlighted panels and each one of them has its own chain of leds independent from the other one, can i connect all of them to one positive and one negative terminal?..or do i need 4?....i was hopping i could solve an entire cockpit with just a couple of those units..is it possible?
    L & N are the line and neutral connections to the AC input. This power supply will operate from an 88 to 132 or a 176 to 264 VAC source, 47 to 63 Hertz. The ground connection next to the N is the safety ground. It connects to the metal enclosure and in the US would be conencted to the ground wire in the input power cable. The two COM connections are the "0 volt" connection for the power supply output. There are two of them for convenience. The two +V connections are the 12 volt outputs. The white thing below the +V ADJ label is a potentiometer used to adjust the output voltage. The nominal adjustment range for this model is 10.6 to 13.2 volts.

I have two Meanwell power supplies (different model). They appear to be well made. I see no reason why you could not use this sort of power supply for your sim, though it may be less expensive to use a converted PC power supply.

Thanks all for a great help, and thank you mike for a very specific and understandable speach

cheers to you all

thankx

Alex