75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Monitor Troubles.

Hello everybody. I'm new here, but not new to cockpit building. I'm currently building the frame to an a320 home cockpit, and already have most of the hardware purchased. I have a nice projector, and a curved screen. Now I just need the monitors for the displays. Unfortunately this cockpit project has really cost me, so I would prefer to keep the monitors on the cheaper side. I'm going to need two or three, and they don't need to be big in side. Any suggestions?

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

If they're for a glass cockpit instrument panel, I'd suggest looking around for a computer surplus business in your area and just pick up a few cheap CRT displays. They'll do the job just fine. They're a tradeoff though, you're trading off cost for a bit of engineering issue with mounting the heavier displays. It's a good idea if you're looking to cut costs though.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Newegg.com

Cheap monitors by the dozen. I think I saw an Acer or Hanns over there for $159.99 19" WS. Decent specs too.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

75+ Posting Member

Thanks for your advice. I think I know what you're talking about with the older monitors, the big old ones. I can get a couple of those real cheap, my only concern is the curve of the screen, and the analog connection. Will the curve be noticeable or affecting? And will the displays still be readable if I use the old ones that connect using analog ports?

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coolmanak View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I think I know what you're talking about with the older monitors, the big old ones. I can get a couple of those real cheap, my only concern is the curve of the screen, and the analog connection. Will the curve be noticeable or affecting? And will the displays still be readable if I use the old ones that connect using analog ports?
    You should be able to find flat screen CRTs too. All my 21" CRTs are flatscreen Dell P1110. I bought them for $5-10 each. I actually made sure the CRTs I bought were flatscreen, because those tend to have the higher quality tubes. The connection should be regular old VGA analog connector cables. All video cards ship with DVI -> VGA adaptors, so you should be in good shape there.

Also, like said above, newegg will give you your best pricing on new LCDs. You should be able to get LCDs very affordably for $150-200 ea via there. I buy all my new stuff via newegg. They're half the price or better than regular brick and mortor stores. They're the amazon.com of computer hardware.

If cheap flat screen CRTs are available I'd go that route, then if not, go a bit more expensive with newegg with some LCDs. That would give you 2 options that should work ok.