Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Thanks for this info Craig, very helpful.

Progress is good. Keith has lots of good ideas and new versions every other day, and Thanos is pretty sharp on what's going right or wrong. I can check the actual motion feeling, so with the three of us, we make a good team.

Will keep you updated how things are going.
    RR

prtdrvr

Gidday Roland,
    Thanks I'd like to see the prtdrvr stuff, when its done. Oh by the way, great idea with the No.8 wire, welcome to NZ! passport is in the mail!
    Mounted the projector today and made the rear projection screen, tommorrow will see the complete visual system complete, screen size 2000 x 900 mm. fills the front screen.

CW

150+ Forum Groupie

Unhappy CENTER OF GRAVITY iNFO

Hi Guys , Just another of my should know the answer but not seeing th ewood for the trees type o thing .. Trying to do a mock up of my platform before metal cutting and welding starts after xmas...any tips about locating the cockpit elements i.e Seat , Lcd Monitors Preferably and any othre items not forgetting the bulk Me --- am assuming again that ideally most of the weight ( Bulk + Car Seat ) LOL should be positioned more or less over the Pivot point of the Universal Joint ( im Guessing here) and in doing so will decrease some of the effort required by the actuator mechanism ( whichever one is Fianlly Fitted ) is there some sort of Calculation formulea out there which would allow me to Punch in some weights and Distacnce to Pivot and so allow me to in thory at least work out the likley load on the actuators ??? as it stands i wll be trying to get LCD's for my Instument display,GPS, Etc and already have Opencockpit Interface Boards But they wont be of any considerable weight in comparsion to the Bulfk Factor ( Trying to keep Platform Weight down to again ease the Load on the Drive units) Any help guys will always be appreciated

150+ Forum Groupie

Angry Ops done it again

Spelling and grammer mistakes galore Sorry guys the brains ticking over faster than the 2 finger typing is capable of handling D'Oh well thats my excuse anyways but hope y'all get the drift of my request Thanks

You are right in wanting to get most of the weight close to the pivot point. Ideal situation would be to have the platform just balanced with all gear (incl pilot). Depending on the weight of your gear (cockpit controls, frame, display, ect) and yourself, you should should be sitting with your knees around the pivot point. This is how it is in my setup. http://www.simprojects.nl/diy_motion_platform_ii.htm (I'm about 70kg, gear in front is 1x18" LCD for dials view and 3x15" LCD for outside view, + pedals, transducer, switchmode power supplies and other stuff. PC's are outside the platform. My setup is quite well in balance. The rubber inner tube underneath will also help self centering.

For balancing calculations, it's basically an addition of (weight)*(distance from pivot point) of the various components, yourself being the biggest influence. The sum on both sides of the pivot point needs to be equal for balance. It is advisable to make the seating position slightly adjustable for fine tuning.

For the speed calculations, I have done some experiment with platform accelerations. Rough, but in the ball-park. http://www.simprojects.nl/platform_d...lculations.htm
    Although I find now that the fast acceleration is not absolutely needed for our type of motion platforms. (or only to be able to mix in the ground bumps and turbulence stuff)

Hope this helps.

Roland
    RR

Update

Gidday, long time no see, just a couple update photos for those of you that are interested, have got two LCD screens going now and just working on getting the next four going. Using dual head AGP card for the two front and looking for a quad head PCI for the others. Motion is working good, and the cockpit is enclosed now, I have also upgraded to FS9, much better scenery and weather than FS2k2.
    Have a merry Xmas all!
    Cheers

CW

Update

Sorry, couldnt upload photos, goto http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cwarner/flightsim.htm

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Thumbs up Nice!!!!! :)

What a way to go.... Looks fantastic and fun Love to take a ride with you....

Thanks for the pics....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234