2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A little reflection

Since I arrived from work tonight there weren't many new posts so I plugged in the iPhone headset and listened to my newly loaded iTunes songs and browsed the Photo Gallery. All of it. Not just my beloved Boeing Gallery.

I cannot hardly believe how far so many of our members here, including me, have come on their builds in such a short time.

Eighteen months ago my MIP and yoke was still in the shop. Ivar was still working on his cockpit structure, Gwyn hadn't even completed his first throttle yet. Eighteen months seems like yesterday. Or is that because I'm approaching the "Book 'em Dano" number of years I've been on this planet?

I saw so many photos of builders that had come so far in their builds that I thought I was actually looking at a 7XX cockpit with 20 posts or less. Where are these builders??? Surely someone that far along, or at least that many that are that far along that are members here wouldn't just throw up their hands and say "I GIVE UP! I'VE HAD IT", and just disappear into CATIII conditions never to be seen again crashing just short of the threshold.

It never ceases to amaze me at the engineering, ingenuity, and outside-the-box thinking that shows up in threads and posts here for the benefit of everyone building a cockpit, member or not. We'd really love to have you if you're lurking there reading this, but if you'd rather remain in the shadows, that's OK too. No need for embarrasement. We all started from scratch and there was no manual for us either.

Anyone can, and everyone has, contributed here in one way or another whether you know it or not. Even if there isn't a lot of replies to one of your threads, it just might have made someone think in another direction about what they are trying to accomplish.

What a short eighteen months it's been. You all have a good morning.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

2. Thanks AndyT, Trevor Hale, warvet, Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Very nice, and very true.

Thanks Mike
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Mike,

Your 100% right.

Thanks for contributing this, it is very true. I often wonder where these builders disappear to myself. I often do what you said you did last night, and look back 12 Months, and see where everyone was in their build progress.

It is like turning back the clock, and I agree it is interesting to see where everyone is when you turn back the clock.

Thanks again for this post.

Trev.

Thank Michael,

This is a great site with great people and I personally have made many new friendships and learned so much just looking at others projects. Out of the many hobbies I have had or have, cockpit building is one of the more challenging and most rewarding and the people make it all the more better. It never ceases to amaze me that I can be working in my little basement shop in the heart of the midwest in my little town of Sugar Grove but be online sharing thoughts and ideas with someone in Alabama or Texas (or in the middle of the gulf on a ship) or even oversees in Australia, the Netherlands, etc. What a great community!

Scott

10+ Posting Member

Well said!

To be honest, I was very close to giving up my build. It became overwhelming... there were a lot of things I didn't understand and just could not even imagine figuring out or building.

I am very proud to be associated with such a wonderful and talented group and am grateful for the idea sharing. The humor here is simply wonderful. Thank you to All!

We truly share a unique passion.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    Well said!

To be honest, I was very close to giving up my build. It became overwhelming... there were a lot of things I didn't understand and just could not even imagine figuring out or building.
    Thats the best part Sunday, No matter what road blocks you encounter, it is quite comforting knowing that you have all of us here to help you through it. Thats why we can help someone who doesn't understand how a switch is connected to anything, interface a complete cockpit.

It really is a benefit to have such a deep pool of knowledge, and our pool is getting bigger by the day.

Trev

Hands down the best home cockpit building site in the world, made possible by the administrators, and built up by the members, salute to all!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

I guess I'm going to have to go and learn electronics or something so I have something to add to the pool. Its still kind of shallow on my end. And a bit warm too... I think Tim was here a moment ago....

ACK! I can't beleive I said that! Shame on me!

Honestly though. I think this site has impacted many lives and not just in building pits. We've become a family. Scattered across many lands and languages, but a family nonetheless. My most sincere thanks to each and every one of you.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Airbus

Are you saying I pee in the proverbial Cockpit pool Andy? lol
    Ok yeah it was me OOPS! My Bad!

Tim