Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What an unbelievable crock

Having used my Vista pc a few hours ago, I started it tonight to be greeted with a worrying message

Windows Resume Loader

The last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to resume again?

And two options:

Continue with system restore
    Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.

Ok none of these options makes any sense to me so I'll just go with the default and see what happens. Evidently nothing. The keyboard isn't responding. What the fu???

So once again I'm turning to my Macs to help out this garbage. Ah i see an easy solution. Simply plug in your old PS2 keyboard and like magic you will be able to select the option. My what?

Who the **** writes this garbage? Absolutely beyond my imagination I can tell you! And that stupid green thing they insist on giving you with every wired mouse of course even though I must have a billion of those and saw one recently like a few days ago, do you think I can now find any of them?

I read through other posts and one suggestion was to simply restore the BIOS and reformat the hard drive. Excuse me? Ah I see because obviously I'm such a geek that it gives me great pleasure in dumping my entire installations and hundreds of hours of graft, for the pleasure of pee-ing around with a defective OS. If that's the only solution my simulator days ended today!

Any suggestions welcome. But spare me any more sarcasm than I've included here. My sense of humour has taken a short break.

Thank you

Paul
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I'll try and spare you the sarcasm.

Do you have a working keyboard plugged into the PS/2 port? You've tested it right? On another system? It works absolutely right?

If it works, now you say the keyboard doesn't respond after the boot option appears? Is that right?

If so, your only option may to re-load Windows.

Before you do that though, do you have a CD of your operating system? Is your BIOS configuration setup to boot from a CD first before it goes to the C: drive?

It is possible to perform a partial restore or a 'fix' if you have this disc without wiping the entire drive and reloading.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

150+ Forum Groupie

Ok I have it working. I turned my place upside down and found a USB-PS2 adaptor. But then my backlit keyboard didn't work. Figuring that I probably needed a lower power keyboard, I found one literally caked in dust, but one of the first USB ones. I bought it when a motherboard years ago suddenly decided it wasn't recognizing PS2 any more. Ironic to say the least.

Anyway plugged in and hit Return, all seems ok and it's good to know I have a solution to one of Vista's many many issues. Still a crock but so long I can fly I'm vaguely satisfied. Just glad this wasn't one of the more intense soutions that I read.

Paul
    VANCOUVER

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing Skunk Works View Post
    Before you do that though, do you have a CD of your operating system? Is your BIOS configuration setup to boot from a CD first before it goes to the C: drive?

It is possible to perform a partial restore or a 'fix' if you have this disc without wiping the entire drive and reloading.
    Thanks for this. I think this is good pro-active thinking. Unfortunately while I think I dedicate enough of my time to forward planning and disaster aversion, there's little similarity between what I prepare for and what goes wrong.

You have reminded me that my BIOS does go straight to HD now, and changing this back would probably be a good idea. Problem on this occasion is that the computer wasn't even allowing me to go into BIOS. My keyboard usually works at that point. Nasty issue but now I'll have to keep my old basic keyboard just in case the movie "Piss Paul Off - 2" is ever released.

Good to know that some people think clearly when others are in complete panic.

Cheers

Paul
    VANCOUVER

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Glad everything is stable now.

Don't count the old keyboards out. I'm typing on an 18 year old refurbed Model M IBM 'clicky' keyboard. I wouldn't have it any other way.

You still have to plug the cord into this one and then into the computer.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!