Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member strychninekiss's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Software for a flight deck project.

Hi builders!

I have been trying to find a list or something describing what software one needs for a flight deck build project. And a description of what each softare does. Anyone have time to give some advice about what I would need software wise for my 737NG build?

I know I need PM(several programs dont know exactly which ones?), FSUIPC, FSWIDE. But what they do and in what order they work between the PC, the hardware and the software?

Also, PM IS is THE software to use?

//Will

Smile My ideas

For building a 737 simpit yes PM is the top choice, there is also Flight Deck Software:

http://www.flightdecksoftware.com/content/home

These two options are great if you are interested in a mostly complete pit, ie every switch knob and button.

FSXPAND offers a Boeing style PFD, ND along with other gauges. The downside is it only uses default flight simulator offsets.

In addition Ellie systems is developing Boeing style software, but Im not sure if it is as functional as PM or Flight Deck Software.

You will need FSUIPC ...the popular way to display this software is thru networking multiple PC's as clients to your flight sim pc "host". This helps with hardware performance (not running too much software on your flight sim PC)

Hopefully thats helpful?

3. Thanks strychninekiss thanked for this post

FS9= FS2004 with update.

FSUIPC= magical program that lets all other programs talk to FS9,FSX, and such.

WideFS=Client/Server program which allows you to use networked computers to show flight sim related programs, such as the following programs.

FreeFD=Glass cockpit display software, including PFD, NAV Director engine monitor, standby gauges, for some Boeing and some Airbus types.

WIDEVIEW= program that lets you run simultaneous instance of FS( to have different views on different computers, all synched to your main FS server, i.e. left/right window, wingview, overhead, or anything else that you can "window" in FS.

Friendly Panels FMC= Airliner type Flight Management Computer system, has enough functions to make it fun.

SA_WXR= From FSXpand, weather radar program, for all types of Aircraft.

FSNAvigator= Program which allows for flight planning, execution, and depending on which mode selected, will act like a FMC or a quasi-co-pilot,, programming radios and such.

There are many more out there, these are the ones I use, and some of them you have to search hard for(the Free ones.

Yes PM is a great software, Ellie Systems is doing wonderful things, but if your frugal as I, you could use these, and have a fairly decent flight deck for well under 200.00 USD.

5. Thanks steveeverson, strychninekiss, JSpahn thanked for this post

THANX ak49er and JSPHAN!!!

Yeah this cleared some things up!

So the main programs that are a MUST to be able to use FS, Hardware is PM and FSUIPC? I mean these are the ones I should invest in simultaniously as I buy some hardware like the MIP, MCU to be able to get use of it fairly quick?

//Will

FSUIPC IS a must as well as WideFS if you use multiple computers, but buying PM is like getting a Ferrari for your first car, sure it's want you want, and it'll do what you need, but do you really need that much horsepower for that price right off? For the utmost realism, building a 1:1 pit with full functionality yes, but if you just want to be able to fly, and have darn near every bit of information you need, then go the road less traveled.

Well....

PM is pricey I would try some freeware first to get an idea how things work...but..if you are planning on networking FSUIPC is needed

Here is some freeware:

http://www.flightdecksoft.com/software/

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

You don't HAVE to use PM. Personally, I think you are jumping in head first. Take a bit of time and build a nice desktop cockpit first. That way you have a much better understanding of what is required to build a full pit.

A simple desktop rig will teach you a huge amount about building pits and it won't cost you a small fortune. PM is not cheap and you can not sell it if you decide to quit flying.

Check my blog here at MCP.org for a fairly simple desktop rig idea you can build. Save money and stress. Start small.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Also check out this free software http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/scumari/fmc/

11. Thanks 737Steve, JSpahn thanked for this post

Shameless plug!

Ellie Avionics is a good choice if you are looking for functional software at an affordable price (Not that I'm biased or anything!)

www.EllieAvionics.com is based on the FreeFD solution and is the continuation of FreeFD into the commercial arena, albeit at a much lower price.

We're every bit as functional as the bigger players. You can check out our Operations manuals here to get an idea.

Ellie Avionics may not be the ideal solution for everyone at this moment as we have not yet released an EICAS or FMC solution however the EICAS just entered Beta testing and the FMC software is in development.

Plus.. we never sleep...

Thanx ak49er, JSPahn, Andy, Tasking and Raysot

It would be great to find an alternative to the PM to start out with, since is expensive!
    But do these other software work with the FDS hardware?

I am going to build a 1:1 scale 737NG flight deck. But YES I am going to start small. What I want is to, right from the start buy hardware that I will use in the 1:1 scale FD. I donīt want to start small by purchasing hardware I wont be able to use later.

My plan is to buy everything from FDS. I find it best using as few sources as possible, things seem more compatible that way. Same thing with software. But since I have NO experience in the cockpit building field I might be very naive in thinking this way though!?

Regards
    William

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast