Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Newbie... spend my money!

Hi all
    Been reading with interest all through the various posts and websites regarding flight simulation.
    I know nothing about it, although I am pretty experienced in electronics so actually building it is not the problem.
    Where the **** do you start! So much info
    I think I fancy a 747 as a flight deck, mainly as that looks a good challenge.
    I have a whole bedroom available, so I am considering constructing a limited moving base to add realism.
    My questions....

What is the best main screen image method. LCDS are cheap as chips now, but what is considered the best.
    Instruments..... I am guessing they are easiest to reproduce using seperate monitors run via software to release the gauges from FS.
    I will run FSX, so what are the best modules for breaking out of the main computer to allow me to wire up the overhead panels, seperate instrument LCDS and moving platform etc.
    I am hoping someone has a website or a plan of their layout. Just to point me in the right direction.
    My simulator will have its own construction website, so people can see how things move along. Hopefully I can give back to the forum any helpful info.

Thanks all
    Steve

Steve,

First of all welcome and yes your fixing to spend LOTs and LOTS of money!!! if you start build a replica of a 747..

Here's a couples of site that will get you going:

www.flightdecksolutions.com

www.flyengravity.com

www.opencockpits.com

On your visuals question I believe most of use are running the TH2GO from Matrox with DLP Projectors and a program called SOL7.

First place to start that I find to the be easiest is to acquire books on the 747 and determine first that, that is the Aircraft for you. Next purchase the panels and begin the building process.. Im sure having started this tread you are going to get plenty of ideas and how to start.

Good luck and your in the right spot for those questions.

One last thing check out this site first you might find it very helpful.

www.mikesflightdeck.com
    Last edited by Kris Stow; 09-22-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Need to add another site.
    --

Kris S.
    Seabrook,Texas

www.lear45project.org

Also proud supporter of..
    http://hangar45.net
    www.innovativefsp.com

Thanks Kris

I have a large blank piece of paper, upon which I am sketching out the 'system' I will require.
    I planned to blow my first pile of pennies on a decent platform to run FSX. Any advice on the specs required to run at full frame rate would be helpful (assuming that is possible!), but I kinda assumed it was going to be... more money=better frame rate.
    The SOL7 software is interesting - thanks for that.

There seems to be quite a few ways of bringing the panel switches out of the software. Not sure what direction to follow there yet.

As for the overhead panels etc.... I plan to make my own if I can. It's a lot of work I know, and I will need to find detailed panel layout plans.
    I have a good workshop and that is all part of the fun (he says at 3am etching another switch legend)

Steve

Well first you will need multiple computers!!.. hahah

The Main one will need to be the best since it will be supporting the visual system and FSX.

A quad core with a Nvidia card something like the 8 series or the new 9 series will be just fine.. and a healthy hard drive some of which run the Raptor hard drives that are 10,000 rpm.. and I would go for 4gb of ram.

For the others they can just be your basic PC (dual core) to run your MFD and ND displays see www.progectmagenta.com

how you will interface the items you purchase like switches and things will be through Peter Dawson's FSUIPS 4.

Also check out the www.aviationmegamall.com for hardware.

You can take a look at my site www.lear45project.com and see my computer specs. along with www.flightlevel180.org and see Eric's comp specs.

Hope this helps..
    --

Kris S.
    Seabrook,Texas

www.lear45project.org

Also proud supporter of..
    http://hangar45.net
    www.innovativefsp.com

Well that's ok. I can build a sexy fast system for the FS host and main screen, and I have loads of fairly good old tower units lying around here for the rest of the system.

I will probably build a metal base frame with a dedicated rear control panel to house all the computer boards anyway, so that I can cool all the entire system in one go.