Thread: Yoke

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Yoke

Well, I've started building my sim. So far, I'm mostly doing prep work on the various pieces. I have some lumber and a few wood panels. I really do not want to do too much yet because I don't have my camera right now. I should have it in a week. I want to take pictures of the entire process as I build for my website.

In the meantime, I would really like to see the inside of a ch Products USB yoke. Mine is brand new and I really do not want to open it without an idea of what to expect. I intend to mount it in the panel and I want to remove the buttons and trim wheel on the front and the throttle quadrant on the top. I plan on having only the shaft and handle sticking out. Does anyone have pix of the inside of the yoke? Please??

My sim is not a re-creation of any existing plane, its more generic, based on a piston single or twin. The way I have it designed it can be either. And later I can add an overhead to give it basic airliner functionality. It's a 1 1/4 man sim. Bigger than just the pilot side, but not by much. It is 30" (wide) x 80" (long) and I'm not sure yet how tall it will turn out to be. I've a couple of options on that and still have not decided which one I want to go with.

One piece of advice I would like to offer a brand new sim builder, Build it in cardboard first.

I guess no answers means that either you don't use CH yokes, or you never took them apart.
    No problem, I found my answers on the CH forum.

We went and picked our new digital camera up today and I'll be taking snaps as I build to share with you.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hey Andy! Welcome to the insanity! THere are a lot of guys using CH Yokes, but I think most of them are not taking them apart. If you look through some of the pics you will see a number of them! Maybe you could do a tutorial on what you are doing with yours?

Tutorial and General Info...

Hi Bob,

I might write a tutorial on the yoke, but dont hold your breath! I'm not 100% certian of how I'm going to mount it at this point but I'm pretty close on getting to that point in my building.

Just an FYI, I'm building a generic single engine with a G1000 panel. It is the first pit I've ever built and I've had to take it apart a couple of times already to make adjustments to it even after drawing plans for it! I get it almost done and realize I want to add something else to it and that I have to rip it apart to do it. I am building it so that all the computer hardware is built-into the pit frame itself. This will save me loads of time and wires when it comes to interfacing the controls.

Since I only have the one computer at the moment, I also decided to incorporate the normal interfaces for computers into the panel and frame so this also becomes my 'surfing pit'. Cool huh? I can play any game, surf the net or, go flying all from the same chair that looks like a G1000 with a couple of hidden features. And the best part? The entire thing is on wheels and can be simply rolled into another area if I need to! (The wife insisted on that )

Once I get it all built and the bugs worked out of it, I'll start on the motion base. Right now, I just got finished with a bizillion hours overtime and finally have some time to fly. So I'll be logging some hours (both sim and real) for the next couple of weeks.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi Andy.. GOod to hear from you... Pictures? We always want pictures!

I have been to the center of the CH yoke...

***WARINING- DOING THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY***
    I mod-ed my CH yoke not too long ago to give it a "heavier", more airliner-type feel. I just can't find a better use for bungee cords! see pics below...

25+ Posting Member

there's a tutorial on www.desktopaviator.com about adding a trim wheel to teh CH yoke, he takes the cover off and you can see inside.,

Thanks for the replies, but I've since gotten the schematics from CH and taqken mine apart some time ago. You can see pix of it in the GA section of the Photo Gallery.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/