Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi guys,

So far I am with paul with a couple of additions

1 - When joining different SIOC scripts i.e MCP and EFIS make sure to use the .txt files. If you do not have them open them one by one in SIOC and from file menu choose export to txt file, give a name and save it. Then open them and make sure you do not mess with the variable numbers. I mean ifd you will copy EFIS underneath the MCP makse sure your variable numbers will not be duplicated.

2 - Hub with own power supply will do no other need for anything else.

3 - No, no, no you can not run two SIOC's with different configs at the same time. Will give you unbelievable problems so forget about it.

4 - For the EFIS my script uses mostly key sendings accept for rotary adjustments. Make sure that default 737 supports specific key settings for EFIS functions on FSX. As far as I know there is no such a thing.

5 - If there iis no such a thing then you have to create mouse macros. I am again not sure since I did not use it but FSX version of FSUIPC should support these macros. Read FSUIPC manual for MACRO CREATION and try creating these macros then assign them from within FSUIPC.

6 - Better yet as far as the current released airplanes are concerned either use level d which comes with own sdk and there is Nico to help or wait for PMDG to come up with NGX.

As I really didi not start wprking on it yet so far with limited assumpitons that is all I can say.

Best Regards,

barkay

2. Thanks Gordon Turner thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Think you are correct Barkay,
    Just had a quick look at the keys/buttons assignments in FSX and I don't see any EFIS functions there.
    Gordon you may have to do what Barkay suggests and create some mouse macros for the modelled functions first.
    I have never needed to do that as I'm using Project Magenta software so I'm not the best person to advise you on this.
    Maybe some other members who are reading this can jump in and help you?
    Once they are done we might then be able to get your EFIS hardware up and running.
    You should be able to use your MCP however, how is that going?

Paul

4. Thanks Gordon Turner thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Thanks Paul and Barkay,

I have just printed out both of your replies and will now sit down and try to implement your advice.

Just as an aside, I have spent thousands of dollars over the last three years in pursuit of my hobby. I have ourchased many software and hardware items from reputable seller such as Go Flight, Simkits, Flight Link and others.

At no time have I had this sort of issue. I have a fully functioning Cessna cockpit utilising the above suppliers in conjunction with Peter Dowsons FSUIPC. With only minor software corrections, I have had no problems.

My 737 build is in its inception (see my photos) and I am trying to cobble together the necessary deck hardware prior to installation. I test bed everything I build in my office where I have a three LCD monitors and a plethora of yokes and controls.

My annoyance in this instance is that OC are selling a product that purports to be "plug and play" when it is evidently not. If they had been honest and upfront in their product and informed prospective buyers of the issues they may encounter, then novices such as myself would probably not part with the "hard earned readies" and would look eslewhere. Each module they sell should be "stand alone" with all the neccessary software scripts and the programme should be able to seek out other hardware items and be able to update relevant files as needed.

I am an electronics technician of some thirty years experience but unfortunately my software programming skills do not match. Judging by the numerous pleas for assistance on this and other forums, I'm not the only one either.

I fully appreciate both your assistance in this case and I will dedicate another days effort in trying to decipher OC's instructions and your more helpful instructions.

In the event I am unable to succeed, I will send one more post to this thread and call it a day. Perhaps the Go Flight EFIS will be more successful.

Cheers fellas,

Gordon

PS the MCP is and has always worked perfectly in FSX, so no complains there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    Think you are correct Barkay,
    Just had a quick look at the keys/buttons assignments in FSX and I don't see any EFIS functions there.
    Gordon you may have to do what Barkay suggests and create some mouse macros for the modelled functions first.
    I have never needed to do that as I'm using Project Magenta software so I'm not the best person to advise you on this.
    Maybe some other members who are reading this can jump in and help you?
    Once they are done we might then be able to get your EFIS hardware up and running.
    You should be able to use your MCP however, how is that going?

Paul

75+ Posting Member

That's what I thought, the default mcp has some offsets allocated in FSX and FS9 which your sioc script is using.

When you run your mouse over the default EFIS panel you can see that there are some functions modelled but no keypresses allocated for them.
    There are some functions listed in the controls menu that don't have any keypresses allocated, perhaps you could try allocating some unused keys to them to see if you can get it going.

Even better would be if you could find the offsets which the defaut panel is using and maybe get the sioc script working by replacing the PM offsets with these.

I can understand how you feel about Opencockpits but they have some working scripts for the EFIS to be used with PM, PMDG and others.

It may be worthwhile you posting a question on the Opencockpits site asking if anyone has a script already written for use with the default panel.

Hope you have some luck

Paul

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Turner View Post
    My annoyance in this instance is that OC are selling a product that purports to be "plug and play" when it is evidently not. If they had been honest and upfront in their product and informed prospective buyers of the issues they may encounter, then novices such as myself would probably not part with the "hard earned readies" and would look eslewhere. Each module they sell should be "stand alone" with all the neccessary software scripts and the programme should be able to seek out other hardware items and be able to update relevant files as needed.
    Hi Gordon,

I understand your disappointment, however, in the sales information of OC about the EFIS module you could have read:

"The module admits any configuration defined by the user, and can link with any other software like ON-737, Project Magenta, Level-D 767..."

I do not see the default 737 of FSX listed ....

and they also state:

"This module is completely plug&play (no need of USB driver). Only needs SIOC with your favourite configuration file that will link with the simulator via FSUIPC or IOCP."

So it really says, that you need a SIOC file for your favourite configuration. You now have to find the SIOC script that can handle your aircraft (the default 737 in FSX, which is not an easiest one).

Like barkay posted you probably have to define mouse macro's in FSUIPC first and then call these macro's from the SIOC script (either via keys or via virtual buttons). This is certainly no plug and play work, but if you go to the OC Forum you will probably find another guy that has sorted this out already and you could copy his script...

You only have to learn how to merge your MCP and EFIS scripts and to adust your sioc.ini.

regards,
    Nico Kaan

8. Thanks Gordon Turner thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Thanks Nico,

Purely frustrated after spending an inordinate time on trying to get this up and running.

After I posted the last comment I did revisit OC (I'm there almost on a daily basis) and read exactly what you have written.

The hardware product is very professional and like I say, I'm annoyed that "I" don't have the skills or knowledge to make necessary adjustments to make it work.

I guess I will have to knuckle down and learn the programing skills to understand the system properly. Like I've said, the MCP works like a dream. I'ts a pity that FSX doesn't interface the EFIS in the same flawless manner.

I have PMDG 737 NG, but I don't want to go back to FS9 when FSX and its extra scenery upgrades looks so good.

I'd like to thank everybody for their help on this and to bring an end to this thread.

Good flying!

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, i think i am in the same boat as you as my mcp works like a charm I am running fsx with default aircraft and feelthere erj aricraft with pm (glass cockpit) but flight simulator doesn't seem to recognize my efis.
    I have absolutely no experience in programming and am completely lost and affraid to change anything. I am sure i will have to learn someday.
    I am gonna continue to follow along with your progress to see if i can fix my issue. But to complicate the issue, does anyone know how to get the backlighting to work on the unit? I am assuming once the computer recognizes the unit then maybe the lighting will come one, but i am only guessing.

Mike

10+ Posting Member

G'day Mike,

Sorry to hear you're having similar problems to mine.

I have revisited this issue over the last few days as I have built several new systems that will be incorporated into my 737 sim. I checked out the OC website and they now have a dedicated software install for FS9 ands FSX and I did have some modicum of success.

The underlying issue here is that FSX does not allow for an easy interface with the EFIS (only certain key functions are activated) and requires extensive script writing and software manipulation to get it running.

I have installed PMDG on a separate system and am in the process of bench testing everything before I install the hardware into my deck. I will let you know how it pans out.

There is currently a forum thread on the ideal software solution whereby all products would easily and seamlessly interface using the same flight sim package. Hopefully the manufacturers are starting to take notice as not all sim enthusiasts have extensive software writing skills nor computer knowhow to spend hours in trying to get what are, after all, very expensive hardware items going.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Gordon

10+ Posting Member

Sorry Mike, missed the last part of your question. The backlighting for the EFIS has to come from a separate 5V source plugged into the phono socket at the rear. Any suitable plug pack will do the job.

Gordon

13. Thanks mlscotti thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member FlightSimulation-CY's Avatar

Problems using Open Cockpits EFIS with FSX

Hey people i couldnt made it up without ask any help from the experts here so,

I have some problems using my new EFIS from OpenCockpits. The FSUIPC is fully installed and registered as well in FSX, i downloaded the latest software from OpenCockpits and i made the steps exactly as they say but it doesn't work at all. When i test the EFIS with the EFIStest it works just fine with everythink. I also change the sioc.ini file to work with my FSX.
    After this i run the ssetup.exe with FSX FSUIPC configuration chosen and i launch. After this i close it and run the flight but it doesn't work. I also run MCP Pro from GoFlight but this has its own software..

I gave up everything guys, my last hope is MyCockpit experts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast