Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job mauriceb's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

'Short' essay about FSX benefits

There have been many discussions in various forums, including this one, about the pro & cons of FSX vs. FS9, and the perils, complexities, benefits, costs, setbacks etc.. that switching to FSX entails. I realize that starting a new thread on this subject is a bit futile and is much like trying to discuss politics or religion. Discussion is OK, but thinking you will convince the other party is just a pipe dream.

So, I’m not trying here to convince anyone about anything, but I am simply trying to dispel a few myths that still exist today about FSX & explain why I am a happy FSX convert.. I once also believed everything FS9 proponents said about FSX and I did not switch to FSX right away. All I can say right now is that I am thrilled I did finally switch and these are my reasons.

Flying and the ‘freedom’ of flight can be appealing on many levels. But I am convinced that the biggest attraction for most real pilots (as opposed to simulation pilots) is the beauty that they find once they are airborne. Sure, most simulation pilots & real pilots as well do likely enjoy the procedures & the complexity of the simulation a great deal, but real pilots live for those days where the scenery, the atmosphere, the magnificent cloud formations, the magnificence of a sunset or sunrise especially above the clouds & the sheer beauty of being up there looking down rejuvenates them & enriches their lives.

I once read the comments of an airline pilot who talked about how coming out above the clouds into sunshine on a dreary day made him feel reborn every time. So, my point really is that anybody who says that the scenery does not matter to them since all they want to do is fly complex procedures in low visibility is missing out a great deal on the pure joy of flying. You can do all those complex procedures in FSX just as well while enjoying a much richer & more realistic scenery & environment at the same time.

If I want zero-zero visibility, I can have it anytime as well but on the days where I just want to feel the pure joy of being above it all, I want the best scenery that I can get and FSX is it right now. Sure, it's not perfect and likely FSXI will be even better, but I'll take
    what I can get right now and I will not wait/hope for possibly better days in the future.

I still remember how I felt when I was flying a lowly Cessna in VFR weather. Yes, I loved the fact that I had a skill few people have and that I could operate a relatively complex machine, but my biggest joy by far was simply looking out & enjoying the beauty of our world, particularly when seen from above . Flying a SIM with the best available scenery & environment is the most important thing for me especially if I can also have everything FS9 offers as well.

No matter how far flight simulation evolves in my remaining lifetime, I will never feel the same way I did when doing barrel rolls, loops, spins, Immelmans etc in a Decathlon or once in an open cockpit Pitts special with an instructor in the back. For me, sadly, these moments of pure unadulterated bliss are gone forever. And this is why I want all I can possibly get at this moment from a flight simulator, even if it will never come even close to matching the real thing..

This is why I still find it astonishing that many flight deck builders who are so dedicated and almost anal in their obsession about having an exact cockpit replica can say that scenery is not that important to them. Is having the exact colour of a knob, or a real aircraft part (as opposed to a faithful replica) really as important as enjoying nature’s magnificence with the best available scenery available today? How can anyone say they truly love flying if all that matters to them is being in a ‘real’ cockpit with cartoon like scenery?

To me, love of building a complex, realistic simulator is commendable but is not really a true love of flying. There is absolutely nothing wrong for being a purist when it comes to hardware if that is what you love doing and I admire those who are purists, but how can you be a purist only when it comes to hardware unless flying is just a side benefit to you and not your real reason for having a simulator?

As far as I can see, there are only a few very valid reasons for remaining with FS9:

1. You cannot afford to upgrade your hardware assuming your current hardware is not able to cope with FSX
    2. All you want to do is fly as soon & often as possible and you don't like to deal with the surprises that come with FSX.
    3. You don't have the time to upgrade & deal with the issues.
    4. You have invested a great deal of money for various FS9 add-ons and you don't want to start over with FSX.
    5. You are totally satisfied with FS9 (or think you are) and feel no need to change (I thought the same for a long time and I was wrong)

A few less valid reasons:

1. You hate Microsoft for selling you a program that was ahead of its time hardware wise when it came out (this isn’t true anymore)
    2. You don't care (or think you don't) about eye candy such as moving cars, vehicles, boats, birds or whatever (I find they add a great deal to the realism, which is what a lot of you strive to have, hardware wise, in your SIMs).
    3. You only fly IFR in low visibility most of the time. so who cares about scenery under those conditions?
    4. You are waiting for FSXI with the likely false idea that switching to FSXI will be less difficult than switching to FSX was (certainly not so if you haven't already upgraded your FS PC)

A few erroneous reasons:

1. You still think that FSX cannot run well enough unless you spend a fortune to upgrade your FS PC.
    2. You will never fly because you will be spending all your time trying to deal with FSX bugs (true earlier on perhaps, but no longer true now).
    3. FS9 with many scenery add-ons is just as good as FSX without or with add-ons (anyone who has runs FS9 & FSX will dispute that).

Conclusion:

Whatever your reason(s) for not switching to FSX might be, if you truly, truly have a love for real flying and not just for simulating complex flight procedures, then Microsoft’s assertion that FSX is ‘As real as it gets’ is a sensible statement. Flying with FSX or any future versions will never be the same as real flight, but it is getting closer and I am glad it is.

Many times in the past & quite often even now, I feel like packing it in and selling everything and I may still do so some day. If that ever happens, it will be because I can never re-capture the joys I experienced in a real plane instead of in a flight simulator, no matter how good or real it becomes.

So for me, being an early adopter of new FS releases keeps my dream alive a little while longer. If FS9 & even FSX was the last ever version to come out, my simulator would be up for sale right now. I want/need more realism, especially visual realism, to keep my interest up.

The dream has to grow or it will wither & die. Since I am much too old to dream of ever having a full motion simulator with full photo-realistic scenery & environment everywhere I fly, I have to settle for the best that is available right now for mere mortals, and the best is still FSX, without any doubts whatsoever.

Maurice

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Can I please ask just one question Mau?

Does all Project Magenta software, and Phidgets Hardware work with FSX?

This is my only, fear. I would love to try FSX, but I am afraid I am going to have troubles. I have it sitting in a box on my shelf, and have never installed it. LOL

Thanks,

Trev

500+ This must be a daytime job mauriceb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Can I please ask just one question Mau?

Does all Project Magenta software, and Phidgets Hardware work with FSX?

Trev
    With the 737, yes and certainly not any worse than with FS9 except for one or two minor issues which may be resolved if PMDG or someone else comes up with a good FSX model of the 737 (you know my feelings about Ariane)

Maurice

Edit. Can't speak for other aircraft models
    Last edited by mauriceb; 09-04-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Addition

A very nice writeup indeed Maurice. Good job, It should really help people out that still have fear of moving over.

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    With the 737, yes and certainly not any worse than with FS9 except for one or two minor issues which may be resolved if PMDG or someone else comes up with a good FSX model of the 737 (you know my feelings about Ariane)

Maurice

Edit. Can't speak for other aircraft models
    Well, I can tell you this. Because of your exceptional write up, I may try. Not many people know it, but My Dassault falcon has gone to the Garbage, and I am rebuilding with a 737.

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try anyway.

Thanks Mau, I will take a slash at it.

Trev

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Trev, I can say that with a good machine it's definately do-able but it may take some sacrifice on AI traffic, at least that seems to be my biggest perf. hit so far. Im slowly turning it down to see the affect it has and Im not above contacting that guy that does the one on one system integration for FS users, paying the money, and being done with it. That said, as I just posted in my long thread 'Comprehensive Guide?' I honestly believe that even with the default being much higher in resolution beyond FS9 with all the add-ons, it's still maybe not the 'look' that you will be after. Im hoping that GEX/UTX/FEX will make it all the better...

Give it a go though! At the least, spend $35 on FSUIPC4/WideFS7 and check it out.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Maurice

What video card are you using? If nVidea, which driver version are you on? Thanks.

Regards,
    Henry

Thanks Eric.

I can tell you that I don't use AI Traffic. When I am flying, I am online anyway, and as long as Vatsim AI traffic doesn't kill the frame rates, it may be something to try.

As for the buying FSUIPC and WideFS again...... Thats another issue altogether. That I will not comment further on.

Trev

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Eric,

There is a known bug in FSX on traffic. Put it at 75% and you will lose the performance hit. I'm not sure if this was addressed in SP2 but changing that one setting did wonders for me.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

10. Thanks Tomlin thanked for this post
    Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Thumbs up Thank You Maurice

Excellent write up Maurice and thank you

pilot who talked about how coming out above the clouds into sunshine on a dreary day made him feel reborn every time.
    Hhhhmmm, I've said that once or twice How true it is!!!!

Matt Olieman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast