FS9

2. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Post NYT Article

Thank you Rodney for bringing the New York Times article to our attention.

Actually very nice, but it's too bad the folks interviewed forgot to mention the thousands of other talented builders, like we have here.

Look at our builders of the month and the accomplishment they've made, with their bare hands and parts made from scratch.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit bitter, but I have a tremendous amount of respect and admirations for those builders who have worked so hard to accomplish building their dream. Those same builders are the ones that keep coming back to help others who are starting to build their dream cockpit. I, as my fellow builders appreciate those who do that, and they to should be recognized.

I supposed that's why we have builders of the month.

So for those that have been forgotten by the NYT, I thank you and congratulate you, in my book you have not been forgotten.

Matt Olieman

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Well, back in 2003, there weren't as many of us then as now.

This is old. I remember reading it some time ago, but after it was published.

Still a good article to let the outsiders and desktoppers know what we're doing. Half of them probably think we're nuts and the other half wish they could build what we have.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Oops, thought it was a recent article.

I still stand by what I said, and appreciate our current fellow builders, tremendously!!!!

Matt O.

It was from 2003, reprinted today. So it says something about us all. Matt Ford was one of the original builders and the 1st I think to use a real shell. But look where we all are today, and the amount of vendors that support our addiction. Wondurful ain't it?
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

Yes he was, and James Price was one of his inspirations and definitely mine.

James Price started his project or at least picked up his B737 Nose section on June 10, 2000. There were a few other projects similar to his, but not to it's magnitude. Imagine, you could of counted the number of projects in the world on your right hand.

Check out James Price web site, see if you recognize any of the names who participated in his fabulous project. Particularly when the only interface available was EPIC.

http://www.737simguy.com/index.htm

I thank James Price for starting it all As far as I'm concerned James Price will go down in history as one of thee pioneers of our hobby.

Matt Olieman

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

It's almost unfortunate that there are so many types of aircraft to build. It makes it impossible for a vendor to cater to everyone and still make a buck. For a 737 an illuminated start panel might sell for $35-50 bucks because everyone wants one. The same panel (and three different varieties I might add) for the 727 (DC-8, L-1011, fill-in-the-blank) might be twice as much (if even offered to build a one-off) than for something everyone wants.

I only say this (and you knew it was coming) because not one vendor in the whole simulator world supports the 727. Now, with all due regard, Northern Flight Sim will rebuild you a 727 major component like a throttle quadrant, but it's not like you can ring up a supplier and ask for any sort of panel for an early Boeing. And that goes for Lockheed and McDonnell Douglas as well.

I guess I don't understand the attraction of the latest and greatest by all of the manufacturers, while at the same time, if these parts were offered, if even for a short time, more would be interested in building the older aircraft.

It's probably a catch 22 situation though. No one offers the product, so no one builds it. No one builds it because not enough ask for it.

I hate to say it for the sake of the aircraft, but I guess it's a good thing for sim builders that so many of the older birds are being scrapped.

I love using real parts, I really do. But the build would be so much easier with aftermarket third party equipment. Most of us using real parts have more of a "real" aircraft simulator than most others if you get my drift.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!