Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Comprehensive Guide for adapting FSX

Hello all

Something that I would really like to see here available at MC.org is a Comprehensize Guide for adapting FSX into a homebuilt sim, that includes the following:

* List of Harware that is known to NOT work well with FSX (Triple Head 2 Go, GoFlight, CH, FDS, OC, Engravity, etc.)

* Issues of FSX and Project Magenta not working together well (if any)

* Tips on getting rid of Virtual Cockpits for expanded views

* Tips and Links to a good install and best reccomended tweaks

* How to have PM clients set up to work with either FS9 or FSX (such as if your client is setup for WideClient for FS9 in Startup Menue, then do you set up the Clients to run both WideFS for FS9 AND FSX, or how?) and so on...

This comes after reading the post made by Aerosoft that was pointed to by 'FS Insider' and the fact that I think I may be able to run FSX. However, Im interested in knowing if it's worth the investment of time, money, and energy to fool with FSX if my sim is running FS9 perfectly fine. I know all the FS9 vs. FSX pros and cons from a scenery/resolution point of view as well as the fact that it's a performance hog, but there's so many other aspects that take lots of research that has been done by folks like Maurice and others that have taken the plunge and left FS9.

Thanks,
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Thats Easy Eric.

Hardware that doesn't work with FSX - ALL
    Software that doesn't work with FSX - ALL

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Thats Easy Eric.

Hardware that doesn't work with FSX - ALL
    Software that doesn't work with FSX - ALL

LOL
    That seems to be the general concensus, but obviously is not entirely true but must feel like it according to some of the posts I read.

Pit builders are definately a minority (although our numbers grow by the month) and so Im thinking that the majarity are running FS9 for the non desktop sims.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Eri,

One of the reasons that I have had little interest in FSX. Everything I have read from pit builders indicates that the change over brings a whole SLEW of new issues to overcome. I've already spent way too much money getting fs2004 running correctly to start over.

In fact, I haven't finished with fs2004.

So IMHO, look carefully before you leap. Trevor is only half kidding.

But your IDEA is a great one. One definitive source to go to to REALLY understand what the implications are.

best,

.................john

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I agree. I have a well running system with FS9 and I'm not changing a thing.

Besides, there is no DF727 for FSX and even if there was I wouldn't fool with a stable system. It took me too long to get this far to introduce a whole new slew of problems to cope with.

Besides the increased eye candy for FSX, I see no reason to switch. And that eye candy all looks the same at FL350 whether it's FS9 or FSX.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Thanks again for the responses. I think it's obvious (as it's in our nature) to want to use the latest and the greatest but for the reasons posted here already, it's an issue for many pit builders. I believe that for the desktop user it's mostly sorted out (hopefully) and of course, I'd love to have more eye candy as let's be real- some folks say it's a 'Flight' simulator, but if you ask any real world pilot they will tell you that the world is very beautiful from above and they love flying because it's so beautiful and blah blah blah. SO, IMHO, scenery is very important to a flight sim as it's the 'world'. However, if we have a version that's very stable with a little less eye candy, then for the pit builder it's easier to go that route. Id love to establish what I outlined in my initial post- just get to the bottom of what is and what is not possible with FSX. The new FTX products from Orbix (especially stuff like Melbourne) is just absolutely stunning. I WANT that. However, Im happy with FS9 and FlyTampa, Imagine Sim, etc. if it's going to work RIGHT, right NOW.

Thanks for entertaining me guys! BTW, I just hit over 1000 posts. Hard to believe!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Congrats on your post.

Back to the subject, since I've never used FSX, I can't miss what I've never had. I'm not even curious about it.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!