1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Something to think about

I have what might be a unique situation. I have to build my sim outside in the yard since we have no room inside and no garage either. We live in a small apartment and there is no way the wife will let me convert the livingroom / bedroom into a simpit.

My point here is that in my case, 'Where to start' is with the shell and making it weather proof.

Considerations

Hmmm, yes that makes sense. Do you have any idea between which values the outside temperature will vary? And what about humidity? And what about security?

Many questions to think about when building outside.
    Kester Meijer
    http://www.mycockpit.nl - to see my cockpit construction
    Certified De-Ice Supervisor EHAM

Outdoor sim

Hi Andy, This is spooky !!! I have a small garage with a very low roof and went down the same thoughts as you .. outside.
    I came up with 2 options..

1/.. (Simply speaking) imagine a truck back axle, buried (veritacly) so the only thing above the ground was one of the hubs, and build the sim on that as a rotating "hut" ... But that bought up the same problems as Kester has mentioned.
    Not good in our climate but at least it gave a good yaw platform.

2/...Get a shipping container and build it in that. You can get insulated containers (Good for heating etc) and if a whole container is too large, you can get containers that are cut in half and have a door fitted... (Well in NZ you can) This setup would be good if you ever moved to another location. There may be problems with one of these with planning consent etc etc.
    Of course you wife might be into gardening like mine and its a no-go at anyrate.

A word of warning !!! Make a descission fast here Andy as you could end up in "We need a bigger house" war and then you wont be able to afford a sim !! hehehee

Cheers.. Jim NZ
    www.jimspage.co.nz
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

I think what's going to happen is that I'm going to build a shelter tent over it and then go from there. I already made adjustments to my plans to fit a small air conditioner unit into it. Since the temp here in Hawaii varies from 50 to 90, I will not have to worry about freezing temps. This makes rain my main concern and the tent covering will handle that.

Security will be built in. Door locks to the sim and locks to the electronics access panels. I can close the tent to keep others out and if need be, I can put a fence around it. The owner of the house does not care as long as I do not destroy the yard and when we move it all cleans up nicely. I even have a cement pad to build on.

And since I live in Hawaii, I can also build a solar generator to reduce the amount of electricity the whole contraption uses.

Another Idea

I've seen an example of a old travel trailer thats converted to a cockpit you may try that. If I can find a like I will post it. That way you can have a locked, weatherproof and climate controlled set-up!

That's a great idea, but I think there are maybe 2 trailers in Hawaii. No need for them here.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    That's a great idea, but I think there are maybe 2 trailers in Hawaii. No need for them here.
    Hawaii! How I envy you Andy. Here in Norway it's freezing cold by now, but before it started getting cold a week or so ago we had rain every day for almost 3 months. Any cockpit has to be kept indoor here.