Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

The real thing seems to be made from glass fibre, and the surface seems to be some sort of plastic. It is somewhat soft on the surface, similar to a car's wheel (the thing you hold on to while trying to bank out of a flat spin ). Maybe there are some sort of foam underneath?

As I said: If you need any detail images, just let me know.

About the clay idea: Remember, you don't have to fill the whole structure with clay. If you make a frame that fits, then add clay onto it to make the desired shape. Afterwards you can cover the lot with glass fibre cloth and resin. By sanding the surface, you can make it smooth. Then all there's left is to use a filler to fix minor errors, sand down and then spraypaint the whole thing. Not too dificult, actually. The hard work will be the frame. Once that's dealt with, the rest is pretty straight-forward.

Don't think difficult, think easy. KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid! That's my mantra when it comes to my sim...

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vidarf View Post
    The real thing seems to be made from glass fibre, and the surface seems to be some sort of plastic. It is somewhat soft on the surface, similar to a car's wheel (the thing you hold on to while trying to bank out of a flat spin ). Maybe there are some sort of foam underneath?

As I said: If you need any detail images, just let me know.

About the clay idea: Remember, you don't have to fill the whole structure with clay. If you make a frame that fits, then add clay onto it to make the desired shape. Afterwards you can cover the lot with glass fibre cloth and resin. By sanding the surface, you can make it smooth. Then all there's left is to use a filler to fix minor errors, sand down and then spraypaint the whole thing. Not too dificult, actually. The hard work will be the frame. Once that's dealt with, the rest is pretty straight-forward.

Don't think difficult, think easy. KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid! That's my mantra when it comes to my sim...
    I agree and appreciate you input. The problem is, the framework for the mold is already installed in the airframe. There is no removing it, unless you meant the hardware cloth that is ready to be stripped off. I thought you were meaning the underlying wood framing.

I think I'll let it ride for a couple of weeks and see if anything else occurs to me.

Thanks for all of your posts.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vidarf View Post
    About the clay idea: Remember, you don't have to fill the whole structure with clay. If you make a frame that fits, then add clay onto it to make the desired shape. Afterwards you can cover the lot with glass fibre cloth and resin. By sanding the surface, you can make it smooth. Then all there's left is to use a filler to fix minor errors, sand down and then spraypaint the whole thing. Not too dificult, actually.
    Actually the intent of the clay model is to make a temporary MOLD to form the fiberglass OVER...... and then you remove the soft clay afterwards... leaving the hard fiberglass hollow. You then re-install the fiberglass in the location it is to go. The clay can then be re-used for mor models.

This mold could be done right in place if necessary. Or you could build a flat exact duplicate of the place it is to go, and work on doing the fiberglass there. Or as I mentioned, make a negative mold from the clay with Hydrocal (special plaster...... better for working with the fiberglass.....hard).

best,

..................john

4. Thanks Michael Carter thanked for this post
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I don't know if I would be able to remove the clay from the frame as it is now to cast the mold.

Wish you were actually here to advise.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!