10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

TH2Go and FSX - A couple of questions

I just got my new shiny black box... not that black box... a TH2Go ! So far so good... I had only one issue with the new higher resolutions not showing up. I was able to resolve that issue by rolling back the drivers on my 9800GTX to the 175 version.

My questions are:

1) What is the best resolution for my setup ? I am using Quad-Core AMD 9850 with 8gig 1066 RAM running Vista64. I have three 22" Samsung 2253bw LCDs on the TH2Go digital. Do I need to set my desktop for the exact same as I run FSX ?

2) What type of frame rate should I be looking for ? Right now it seems to float in the low twenties ... then during level flight it resides around 30.

3) I modified the .cfg file with the Matrox software and I am enjoying the surround virtual cockpit... but the 2-D panel is stretched out real bad. Is there a fix for this ? I was thinking of hooking up an old 19" LCD to my other video card output so I can drag the instruments I want over to it... will that cause me to loose even more frames ?

TIA !
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Delux/AMD Phenom 9850/XFX GeForce 9800 GTX/CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066/TH2GO Digi/3 x 22" Samsung 2253bw LCDs/Saitek PZ44 Pro Flight Yoke System/Saitek PZ35 Pro Flight Rudder Pedals/GoFlight RP48, GF-T8, and MCP-Pro

25+ Posting Member

Re: TH2Go and FSX - A couple of questions

Hello Airwolfe,

I have a very unique simpit with a triple head to go, and a dual head to go. You can watch a quick vid of my setup, link at the bottom of this post. Anyway to answer your questions:

1) What is the best resolution for my setup ? I am using Quad-Core AMD 9850 with 8gig 1066 RAM running Vista64. I have three 22" Samsung 2253bw LCDs on the TH2Go digital. Do I need to set my desktop for the exact same as I run FSX ?

You want to find a compromise, my triple head monitors are 23" LG's and support a max res of 1920X1080. However I run them at 1440X900 (matrox res 4320X900). This resolution still provides good visuals and performance as my frame rates drop a bit at 1920. So consider a good medium resolution as middle ground between looks and performance. And I would recommend setting your desktop to resolution to your sim resolution. (theres nothing stopping you from using mismatched resolutions, however if you switch from full screen to windowed mode FSX may become unresponsive when mismatched)

2) What type of frame rate should I be looking for ? Right now it seems to float in the low twenties ... then during level flight it resides around 30.

This is an age old question with FSX. Everyone talks about FPS, but in my observations and testing FSX does a poor job of reporting FPS accurately. I have learned over the years to not even look at FPS anymore, I gauge performance by smoothness and lack of stutters. As all our systems vary in specs and hardware its hard to advise you what to tweak or not. I run my FPS setting on unlimited in FSX btw. Here's some links that may help you squeeze every last bit of performance out of your rig:
    SETTING UP FSX and HOW TO TUNE IT - SimForums.com Discussion
    Bojote's Tweaking and Tuning tool for FSX (automated FSX.CFG tweaking tool)
    FSX Tweaking | Kosta's Flight Simulation World
    Maximum performance and the best looks for FSX! [Tweaks & Links] - SimHQ Forums

3) I modified the .cfg file with the Matrox software and I am enjoying the surround virtual cockpit... but the 2-D panel is stretched out real bad. Is there a fix for this ? I was thinking of hooking up an old 19" LCD to my other video card output so I can drag the instruments I want over to it... will that cause me to loose even more frames ?

Unfortunatly there is no easy fix, however you can resize each panel, this has to be done aircraft by aircraft by editing each aircrafts panel.CFG file. For example: simobjects\airplanes\c172\panel\panel.cfg. Open each aircrafts panel config and find the section for the panel you want to resize, heres some links that go into great detail for editing panels.
    Panel Configuration Files
    Editing the Panel.cfg file in FSX

Heres a steup by step:
    1.) Open the panel.cfg file for the aircraft you are trying to fix.

2.) Scroll down to the [window00] section. (This is *usually* the main panel window.)

3.) Change only the first value from the following line, leaving the second value at whatever its default value is (in this example, you wouldn't change the 0.874 value):

window_size= 1.000, 0.874

to:

window_size= 0.333, 0.874

If the window_size= entry does not exist, add it to the section as follows:

window_size=0.333, 1.000

4.) Save the file and start up a flight in FSX with the aircraft you were trying to fix, and bring up the main panel to make sure this has fixed your issue.

5.) Repeat steps 1-4 until you've fixed each aircraft (at least the ones you use regularly, that's what I did. :P)

^this was pulled from: TripleHead2Go 2D Panel Fix for FSX

Well I hope this isnt too much to absord, but should point you in the right direction. I make custom instrument panels for each of my aircraft to display on seperate monitors, check my video. And let me know if have any furhter questions, would be glad to help.

Thanks,
    SImaviator13

10+ Posting Member

Wow, I finally got a response after nearly 5 years ! That has got to be a record. A lot has changed since my OP, but I still appreciate your response and I plan to watch the videos you have made. Advanced simpits are just a constant tweaking process.

These days I am running a newer, faster rig (still attached to the TH2GO) and I am mostly flying the 737NGX from PMDG. What do you fly ?
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Delux/AMD Phenom 9850/XFX GeForce 9800 GTX/CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066/TH2GO Digi/3 x 22" Samsung 2253bw LCDs/Saitek PZ44 Pro Flight Yoke System/Saitek PZ35 Pro Flight Rudder Pedals/GoFlight RP48, GF-T8, and MCP-Pro

25+ Posting Member

LOL, yea I didnt see your post date until after I replied, better late than never I suppose. I am new to this forum by the way, but have been a simmer for ages.

I have somewhere around 400 aircraft in my setup, but these days I have been mostly flying the aerosoft Twin otter in alaska and africa, its a great aircraft for short takeoffs and landings. I've also been somewhat addicted to the freeware 737-200 as it quite underpowered compared to the 800 and makes for some challenging landings when fully loaded. Now that I think about it I have been flying the Brad**** and Basler frequently aswell, these are basically a DC3 with modern turbine engines on them.

Couldnt help but notice your username, as I have been working on my own modification of the freeware airwolf model LOL.

Happy flying