Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mike, that's incredible how good that is looking and also that's a good idea too- putting up the interior trim with the double sided tape. Is that the real solution, or just temp?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

That is the real solution. The stuff is incredibly tacky and sticks to anything smooth or rough. It takes a few hours for a permanent bond, but once bonded it will come apart before the bond fails.

Pre-bending the plastic at the correct spots helps too. The plastic was pretty much already shaped before it was installed. It took a couple of hours to measure out and cut correctly, but it was worth it.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Can you send a link to the material that you have and where you got it from, and also do you think it would work well for the interior lining for the LJ45 shell?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

I don't have a link for the stuff, but any plastic supply company will sell this stuff by the sheet. Probably all the way up to 4x8 if you want. The sheets I'm using are about 28"x36"

I get it from work. They screen print advertising on the opposite side. When the ad is over they throw it away and replace it with another. I've been hoarding it for nearly four years now not knowing what I was going to use it for until I started building my cockpit.

I think it will work great as long as there are no compund curves to cover. That would be a definate excersise in geometry to get it cut and fit correctly over a compound curve. I had great difficulty trying to form the concave area where the steering tiller goes. In fact it looks like crap around the edges. It does take heat well if you can heat it evenly and slowly. It tends to shrink when heated and that is a problem if the piece you are heating is already attached to something (as I found out).

I does bend easily and 90° angles and a bit greater are no problem without splitting or cracking. It takes super glue, body glaze, and other adhesives very well with no attacking.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

I have had my eye on this material at Lowes for quite some time now. It's 4x8 sheet of fiberglass reinforced plastic from the best I can tell. It's white, and is smooth on one side and has the slight bumby surface on the opposite side and is used (of all places) in restrooms and kitchens for wall surface.

It's $32 a sheet and highly bendable at about 1/8" thick. Im thinking it may be usable, but Ive also given considerable thought to laying wax paper in my two LJ45 shell halves (with them on their sides, and then inserting screen door material in there and bending/fixing to the ribs. Then after it's shaped, layup fiberglass cloth and resin. The wax paper would prevent the resin from adhering to the MDF and the screen (as you suggested earlier) would not only give a shape to hold the cloth/resin on for drying, but would reinforce the parts too. Then they could be taken in and out. However, I think $$$ I would be cheaper to buy the big sheets of the fiberglass plastic stuff. But, I still then have the problem of the compound curves :-/

Thoughts?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

An 1/8" is pretty thick material. You might want to buy a small sample if available and try a few 90° angles and see how it holds up under that much stress. The thicker the material the larger the bend radius will be.

The plastic I'm using is .030". It's suprisingly sturdy with only limited backing support. I know you saw the skeleton of my shell before covering it. It does sound like a bass drum if you happen to tap it while getting in or out, but there is virtually no stress on the plastic at all so there are no worries about punching a hole in it or having it tear.
    Boeing Skunk Works