1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Avionics Master Switch vs. Avionics Switch???

Im having a time trying to understand the difference between Master Battery, Avionics, and Master Avionics Switch.

My train of thought is that when the Battery Switch is ON, it supplies power to the aircraft's systems and when the Avionics Master Switch is ON, it enables the avionics to be turned on and also causes the Display Units to turn ON. However, the LJ45 handbook references having the L & R Avionics Master Switch Turned OFF for Battery starts, but if the Display Units are not showing data, then you are a bit in the dark as to the Engine Stats (oil pressure, fuel flow, etc) and these need to be monitored while starting.

Here's where Im thinking the difference lies between offset 2E80 (Master Avionics Switch) and 3103 (Avionics). One offset causes the DUs to come online and the other actually causes the NAVs and COMs be available? Perhaps when turing on the Master Batt it brings the DUs online, but the actual data is not shown till the Master Avionics switch is pressed.

Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks,
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Here's where Im thinking the difference lies between offset 2E80 (Master Avionics Switch) and 3103 (Avionics).
    They are both the same. 3103 was my mapped value whilst 2E80 was an unofficial "discovered" value, back in the days when such discoveries could be made by searching with FSInterrogate (FS2000) -- i.e. when there still was a "GLOBALS.DLL which partially resembled the one we has in FS98 and before.

Same applies to 281C and 3102 for the master battery switch.

For a long time most of the 2xxx and some 3xxx range of offsets remained unsupported (in a separate table in the FSUIPC lists) because I expected them to change, whilst the 310x set, amongst others, was destined to be re-mapped internally to always provide the correct function.

In the event, all of the "real "GLOBALS" disappeared in FS as data was absorbed into different FS modules and C++ private class data, and I relented and decided to support, by similar mapping, the more commonly used but previously non-guaranteed offsets.

Regards

Pete

3. Thanks Tomlin thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Thanks, that was one part of the problem/issue, 'What's the difference in FSUIPC' aspect.

Now here's some additional info to throw into the mix.

In the PMRJ software, upon turning the BATT ON, you typically wont see anything happen save maybe your taxi/external lights come on but of course when Avionics are ON, then you get the Display Units and of course, your avionics such as NAV, COM, autopilot stuff, etc.

However, if you turn OFF the BATT switch, the Display Units remain ON, yet you lose your Avionics (Nav/Com) tuning/recieving capabilities.

What Im trying to determine is this:

When entering the aircraft (specifially the LJ45), and you turn ON the BATT switch, do the DUs come alive and then the actual function of Avionics come available once AVIONICS are turned ON, or do the DUs not show up at all until the Avionics Switch is pressed ON?

YES- I have the actual Training Manual for the LJ45, but this is one issue I cannot determine how the real plane behaves, and assume it is similar to any other Glass Transport Aircraft.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Eric, I'd find a Lear pilot and pick his brain.

Try some of the pilot forums out there and see if you can't turn up something.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!