Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Want to build this:Boeing 767-200ER (or triple 7)

This is one big question. I want to build a b767 or 777 cockpit with motion platform. How do i do this? I know it really is a biggy, and where do i get the stuff, and how do i put it together, and is there a kit so it comes with everything (like cake kits), And is anyone interested in selling one to me or know where i can buy a whole one. Plus what software do u use with a cockpit, cos i don't think flight sim x is realistic enough, cos i want it to be like projected on a 180degree screen OR more preferably, have screens fixed onto the cockpit windows, without any blacked out windows. I have a yoke and rudder pedals and a monitor and computer and fs2000 and x. I just don't think its much fun anymore just sat in a chair doing long haul. I have also had a look at those motion platforms, and lookin at people use them, just plugged into flight sim, also looks a bit sheise. So i'm thinkin, why waste money on something i'll get bored of, why not waste lots and lots of money on something i won't get bored of for a while. So i wud appreciate all help. One more thing, i don't do leather and sheep skin seats, i'm veggie.
    Thats the end, thanx for reading upto here, no cheating, if u skipped bits go back, thanx in advance for any help.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Start with researching these forums. This is a very big project you are about to undertake for a novice.

What sort of electrical and mechanical skills do you have? Can you program or write code?

Good luck with your project.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

First question for me would be how much do you intend on investing is all of this?

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

I can't see myself getting bored with my sim ever LOL
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

No, no and no. But my sis might be able to do that, with here computer knowledge. I have no idea what i need to do. Wiring, well, yea i can do that, in fact i could build a cockpit, if it all came in one big box. Programming, well thats the bit i need help on. I don't want to spend more than £3000 on this which is $6000 approx. Just wanna know where to get everything. and is there a ready made software so there's no programming required?

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

There's always going to be at the least a very little level of programming involved, meaning some kind of setup on your part. Not meaning 'software programming' but you still have to learn the way your interface cards work with hardware and using its programming to interact with your switches, buttons, etc.

$6000 is a good budget to start with, but even more important is to decide if it's something you're going to stick with- these parts and components typically dont resell very high because someone's always coming out with new and better stuff on the electronics side.

Also, any airliner type sim is going to cost you more than you imagine to begin with and likely will be 1.5 or 2 x what you start out for. However, it's not a race and no matter how much you may think it is, there's very few people that get these things built in only a matter of weeks or months. A home sim is a lot like a boat real airplane- there's always something that needs special attention or a new part or a Better part that just came out- they are rarely ever completed in short time!

I'd reccommend you look at a different aircraft if your budget is hard limited to $6000, unless you go the route of using the product's software like PMDG (look up Westozy's sim here) and then it may be much more closer to $6k.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Pilot to be.
    1 A 767/777 is a incredibly huge/heavy cabin. You will have to build a hangar just for it.
    2 A motion platform has to be accordingly powerful, hence seriously expensive
    3 The motion system itself will eat much more than twice your budget
    4 The cabin/hardware and 180 visual will cost a minimum of 10-15K. None of the above is available Plug and Play unless you can pay upfront as a downpayment something in the range of $50K to one the very few companies that can handle such a project.
    As Eric said wisely, any airliner cabin will cost you way more than your budget, labor not included.
    On the other hand investing $ 6K will go a long way in a main panel, overhead and pedestal, which will give you months of enjoyment to bring to life and fly.
    All the rest can be handmade including seats, cabin, throttle, pedals etc...

And all of us here are ready to help.
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

Airbus

Pilot To Be:
    Allow me to stick my nose in even though Im just selling my sim at the moment and more or less leaving the hobby after a decade doing this.I watched this hobby grow from nothings possible unless your Donald Trump or an engineering, computer, electronics Guru, to anythings possiblewith $1000 and a dream. But as Jack and Eric pointed out its not something that easy or cheap. If you want a cake kit it will cost you a minmum of $15000 to have anything remotely useable and only as a 737 0r A320 type. If you want big 777 A340 A380 etc double your budget minimum. I really dont think you understand the commitment of time, energy and money you are endevoring to put out. $6000 is a great start for a basic pit no motion and so so visuals and alot of your own time. $6000 will barely get you started if your buying everything plu and play and want wrap around visuals etc. Realistically expect this budget for a 777. Frame and Hardware Yokes, Rudders MCP CDUs etc $5000 and thats before software addons, full overhead, pedestal complete, screens, and of course projectors. So you see careful budget, hardwork skill and planning and patience will get you far. Good luck and listen to all these guys they have been there and done that. By the way my sim cost me close to $80,000 and 10 years I have friends with motion that are at $300,000 and others that avg $15,000 but very few at $5-6K JMO

Tim
    A340 Former

Regards Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpilot View Post
    Pilot to be.
    1 A 767/777 is a incredibly huge/heavy cabin. You will have to build a hangar just for it.
    2 A motion platform has to be accordingly powerful, hence seriously expensive
    3 The motion system itself will eat much more than twice your budget
    4 The cabin/hardware and 180 visual will cost a minimum of 10-15K. None of the above is available Plug and Play unless you can pay upfront as a downpayment something in the range of $50K to one the very few companies that can handle such a project.
    As Eric said wisely, any airliner cabin will cost you way more than your budget, labor not included.
    On the other hand investing $ 6K will go a long way in a main panel, overhead and pedestal, which will give you months of enjoyment to bring to life and fly.
    All the rest can be handmade including seats, cabin, throttle, pedals etc...

And all of us here are ready to help.
    I think you mean cockpit when you say cabin. If u mean cabin, then no i don't intend on building a 767 SIMULATOR, just a 767 cockpit simulator. I'll keep this whole thing in mind until i get a job plus my own house. Then things will be half done (money and space). I'm currently thirteen, so if i get a job when i'm 16, and my sister leaves home (currently 23) then i cud save up go to uni near home learning about computer programming still keepin up the building and work as i go along, and by 22 or so the cockpit will be finished. Then in a few more years settling to a loooong term relationship, get a house live for another five years, get married and we all live happily ever after.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I was close Tracy.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!